Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Spin positions we love and hate?

Custom Title
    I hate mushroom spin...Frankly I really hate all Upright Forward position spin.
    Please DELETE the UF spin from Difficult variations List!!!

I love Lambiel's spins. He's incredible spinner.
    and Love Yuna's Camel Upward spin.

I Hate CU spin that only HEAD UP. It Looks like shot by stun gun.

Rinkside
    I love laybacks that have the "attitude" leg position, a nice (but not too extreme) back arch, and arm positions that match the music. I also don't mind ones with the free leg down (like Michelle Kwan's and Zijun Li's) as long as there are other things to appreciate, like speed, arm positions, back arch, etc. Biellmanns done well can be nice, but I get tired of how common they are, how strained they can look, how they often don't match the music, and how the initial layback position is rushed through.

I don't know what it's called, but I like this spin position a lot. It reminds me of a Biellmann, only the shape it creates is a little different, it looks less strained, and it's often done at the end of a camel spin instead of a layback spin.

My favorite camel spin is when the torso is not sideways, but facing down towards the ice. It's also interesting when the torso is facing upwards -- looks hard! I don't know what these different camel spin positions are called either.

I like Y-spins a lot and prefer them to I-spins most of the time.

Also flying (or death drop?) sit spins. Takahiko Kozuka's timed to a dramatic part of his Exodus SP was great.

On the Ice
    Wow, don't even know where to start here, so many great ones. I'm a sucker for a simple forward camel with great extension. Plushenko's was great; I also remember it being the one thing I most liked about Paul Wylie, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nLhA7CVIok&t=2m52s

Lately, though, I'm most mesmerized by Jason Brown's great catch-foot back layback. Just awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjttZqY3rvA&t=1m23s

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by avalyn View Post
    I don't know what it's called, but I like this spin position a lot. It reminds me of a Biellmann, only the shape it creates is a little different, it looks less strained, and it's often done at the end of a camel spin instead of a layback spin.
    It's called Half-Biellmann categorized "Camel" Forward spin. (Camel spin with belly button facing forward)
    Biellmann(original) is in Upright Biellmann category.

Quote Originally Posted by avalyn View Post
    My favorite camel spin is when the torso is not sideways, but facing down towards the ice. It's also interesting when the torso is facing upwards -- looks hard! I don't know what these different camel spin positions are called either.
    For CAMEL POSITION there are 3 categories based on direction of the belly
    button:
    - (CF) Camel Forward: with belly button facing forward
    - (CS) Camel Sideways: with belly button facing sideways
    - (CU) Camel Upward: with belly button facing upward

these are diffecult variations of camel spins. No facing down, maybe they think it's easy.

Rinkside
    Thank you! It's good to know the more official terms. For the torso facing downwards one I said was my favorite, I had something like this in mind. I guess that's the basic/forward one...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fadeevfan View Post

Lately, though, I'm most mesmerized by Jason Brown's great catch-foot back layback. Just awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjttZqY3rvA&t=1m23s
    Wow, that's a great position... in general, and certainly for a male skater.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3