Thread: Ashley Wagner Statement Regarding Coaching Situation

Hybrid View

Ashley Wagner Statement Regarding Coaching Situation

USFS (For immediate release):

LOS ANGELES (April 25, 2013) – The following is attributable to two-time reigning U.S. champion Ashley Wagner regarding her professional relationship with coach John Nicks, who announced he will no longer travel to competitions.

“Throughout the year, Mr. Nicks said he was considering no longer traveling with me to events after the 2012-13 season. On Wednesday, Mr. Nicks confirmed he will not travel to competitions with his students next season. I understand that travel, especially to international events, has become a challenge for him and I completely understand his decision to stay close to home.

“Mr. Nicks will still work as my day-to-day coach. We have agreed that I will take three weeks to secure a coach who will travel with me to competitions. Mr. Nicks has been instrumental in the success I have had over the last two years and I look forward to continuing our professional relationship.”

Nicks, 84, is a two-time Olympian for Great Britain. An Olympic and World coach, he has worked with Peggy Fleming, Tai Babilonia and Randy Gardner, Jo Jo Starbuck and Ken Shelley, Jenni Meno and Todd Sand and Sasha Cohen.

Doesn't Nicks have an assistant or something who can do the traveling?

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Hadn't Mills (no longer an option) been serving as the "assistant"?

ETA: He accompanied Wagner to WTT in lieu of Nicks.

very mature, classy statements from both of them.

I am glad she will keep working with him next year.

Custom Title
    Sort of relieved to hear this. I'm glad Ashley considers Nicks 'instumental' to her success (he probably has been) and wants to continue working with him.
    I hope she'll find someone to travel with who at least has Nicks 'calm and composure' that I think grounded her at competitions. Since it's mostly international travel that Nicks dislikes so much, maybe Nicks will still travel (along with whatever second coach Ashley decides on) to the undoubtedly crucial and stressful event, 2014 Nationals...

Custom Title
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...coach/2114371/
    Wagner said that she would take three weeks to find a coach who will travel with her to competitions.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    Sort of relieved to hear this. I'm glad Ashley considers Nicks 'instumental' to her success (he probably has been) and wants to continue working with him.
    I hope she'll find someone to travel with who at least has Nicks 'calm and composure' that I think grounded her at competitions. Since it's mostly international travel that Nicks dislikes so much, maybe Nicks will still travel (along with whatever second coach Ashley decides on) to the undoubtedly crucial and stressful event, 2014 Nationals...
    Yes. This is really such a pity for Ashely as it is obvious she really enjoyed and benifited from working with Mr. Nicks.