Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ashley Wagner Statement Regarding Coaching Situation

Custom Title
    I also don't think Frank would want to coach Ashley because there isn't much upside for her. She is about as good as she is going to get at this point; she can perform clean SPs and clean 6 triple LPs consistently (relative to other skaters). She is not going to improve enough to get Yuna or Carolina PCS, and she isn't going to get a consistent 3/3. I doubt Frank would want to be at the helm when she likely loses her national title to Gracie next year.

Custom Title
    How about Christina Fassi? She doesn't seem to mind being a second banana. If Ashley plans on continuing after Sochi, I don't see why she just doesn't go ahead and get her coaching situation settled now and for the future.

If I were to choose for her, I'd pick Ken Congemi since he didn't go along with Frank C to Palm Springs. I liked his work with Bebe Liang when he had the majority of the responsibility.

Custom Title
    Maybe Sarah Hughes coach, Robin Wagner. Robin seems like a pleasant person to travel with and be supportive without being overbearing. She also does choreography, which may help Ashley develop as an artist. Unlike Nichol & Wilson, Robin may be able to focus on Ashley the entire year as an assistant coach/choreographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruin714 View Post
    Maybe Sarah Hughes coach, Robin Wagner. Robin seems like a pleasant person to travel with and be supportive without being overbearing. She also does choreography, which may help Ashley develop as an artist. Unlike Nichol & Wilson, Robin may be able to focus on Ashley the entire year as an assistant coach/choreographer.
    I think Robin Wagner is really underrated as a coach. I'd love to see Ashley work with her.

Custom Title
    What about Kristie Yamaguchi's old coach, doesn't she live in California.

Custom Title
    I like the Christa Fassi suggestion. She always seemed so supportive of Jill Trenary. I still recall her staying with Nicole at the world championships in 1997 after Carlo passed away at the event. Truly inspiring!

Robin Wagner is on the other side of the country (NY). I don't think Ashley's willing to uproot herself again if Mr. Nicks remains her day-to-day coach
    Christi Ness lives in Canada now, I believe. Didn't Kristi Y go with her to Vancouver which is what partially led to her breakup with Rudy for Pairs?

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYscorp6 View Post
    I like the Christa Fassi suggestion. She always seemed so supportive of Jill Trenary. I still recall her staying with Nicole at the world championships in 1997 after Carlo passed away at the event. Truly inspiring!
    Yes, Chirsta is based out of the Toyota Sports Center though, a good 2-2/2 hour drive from Mr. Nicks' rink in Orange County. I don't know if Ashley would be making that kind of drive often enough to build a realtionship with Christa. Ideally it should be a coach at the same rink at which Ashely trains so Mr. Nicks would be in on any discussions they have, and they could form a "game plan" so to speak as a team.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I also don't think Frank would want to coach Ashley because there isn't much upside for her. She is about as good as she is going to get at this point; she can perform clean SPs and clean 6 triple LPs consistently (relative to other skaters). She is not going to improve enough to get Yuna or Carolina PCS, and she isn't going to get a consistent 3/3. I doubt Frank would want to be at the helm when she likely loses her national title to Gracie next year.
    I wonder if Frank, at his age, really worries about "the upside." In his interview on The Skating Lesson he said he coaches adult skaters. I doubt if they have upside potential. I think the reason Frank wouldn't want to coach Ashley is because he already has a coach--John Nicks. She is just looking for someone who can attend competitions with her and fill in for Mr. Nicks. I would think that Mr. Nicks might have some assistants who might be able to fulfill that role.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Robin Wagner is on the other side of the country (NY). I don't think Ashley's willing to uproot herself again if Mr. Nicks remains her day-to-day coach
    Christi Ness lives in Canada now, I believe. Didn't Kristi Y go with her to Vancouver which is what partially led to her breakup with Rudy for Pairs?
    As late as 2011 Ness was Figure Skating Director at Oakland Ice center. Has that changed?
    http://www.spoke.com/people/christy-...597c10038cc2c5

Must have moved back to California, then. I remember Kristi uprooting herelf to train in Vancouver because Ness was there.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    As late as 2011 Ness was Figure Skating Director at Oakland Ice center. Has that changed?
    http://www.spoke.com/people/christy-...597c10038cc2c5
    I doubt Ashley would be able to work with Ness unless she's moved to Southern California. Oakland is about 400 miles from where Ashley trains in Aliso Viejo with Mr. Nicks. It would be impractical for her to have a part-time coach she couldn't work with at least a couple of times per week. Otherwise how could the coach provide helpful insights when he/she accompanies Ashley to competitions? She'll probably try to find someone who works out of a rink between LA and Palm Springs.

Custom Title
    Saw on twitter that she's going to Toronto. Is this a competition or coaching? Anyone know?

Custom Title
    Most likely for choreography - both Shae Lynn Bourne (SP) and David Wilson (FS) are based in Toronto.

Article and video interview with Wagner via TeamUSA.org: http://www.teamusa.org/News/2013/Jan...ey-Wagner.aspx

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast