Ashley Wagner Statement Regarding Coaching Situation | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner Statement Regarding Coaching Situation

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
USFS (For immediate release):

LOS ANGELES (April 25, 2013) – The following is attributable to two-time reigning U.S. champion Ashley Wagner regarding her professional relationship with coach John Nicks, who announced he will no longer travel to competitions.

“Throughout the year, Mr. Nicks said he was considering no longer traveling with me to events after the 2012-13 season. On Wednesday, Mr. Nicks confirmed he will not travel to competitions with his students next season. I understand that travel, especially to international events, has become a challenge for him and I completely understand his decision to stay close to home.

“Mr. Nicks will still work as my day-to-day coach. We have agreed that I will take three weeks to secure a coach who will travel with me to competitions. Mr. Nicks has been instrumental in the success I have had over the last two years and I look forward to continuing our professional relationship.”

Nicks, 84, is a two-time Olympian for Great Britain. An Olympic and World coach, he has worked with Peggy Fleming, Tai Babilonia and Randy Gardner, Jo Jo Starbuck and Ken Shelley, Jenni Meno and Todd Sand and Sasha Cohen.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Hadn't Mills (no longer an option) been serving as the "assistant"?

ETA: He accompanied Wagner to WTT in lieu of Nicks.​

tulosai

Record Breaker
very mature, classy statements from both of them.

I am glad she will keep working with him next year.

Trewyn

Medalist
Sort of relieved to hear this. I'm glad Ashley considers Nicks 'instumental' to her success (he probably has been) and wants to continue working with him.
I hope she'll find someone to travel with who at least has Nicks 'calm and composure' that I think grounded her at competitions. Since it's mostly international travel that Nicks dislikes so much, maybe Nicks will still travel (along with whatever second coach Ashley decides on) to the undoubtedly crucial and stressful event, 2014 Nationals...

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Sort of relieved to hear this. I'm glad Ashley considers Nicks 'instumental' to her success (he probably has been) and wants to continue working with him.
I hope she'll find someone to travel with who at least has Nicks 'calm and composure' that I think grounded her at competitions. Since it's mostly international travel that Nicks dislikes so much, maybe Nicks will still travel (along with whatever second coach Ashley decides on) to the undoubtedly crucial and stressful event, 2014 Nationals...

Yes. This is really such a pity for Ashely as it is obvious she really enjoyed and benifited from working with Mr. Nicks.

Icey

Record Breaker
I hope there isn't a development with this situation down the road which creates havoc for Ashley, like Nicks deciding that he isn't even up to coaching her at all. This is a risky situation, a gamble imo. Any other year maybe ok, but not an Olympic year.

GF2445

Record Breaker
This statement was definitely well said. Besides, we need to give Mr. Nicks some space because it must be difficult for him to be traveling all the time. Maybe we will see him in Sochi :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wonder if Ashley will try Frank Carol as her coach.

I doubt Frank Carroll would put up with being second banana. He is running the ship or not but that's my two bits. Ashley will be fine. Why can't she use Mills did I miss something other than she is going to a different choreographer undoubtedly Nichol or Wilson as they are the flavour of the day for now.

Icey

Record Breaker
Yes, Skater Boy, you missed something. Have you not visited the board in a week or so? Mills and Ashley have parted ways in all ways.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I doubt Frank Carroll would put up with being second banana. He is running the ship or not but that's my two bits. Ashley will be fine. Why can't she use Mills did I miss something other than she is going to a different choreographer undoubtedly Nichol or Wilson as they are the flavour of the day for now.

Agree that it seems unlikely that someone of Carroll's stature would be content as only the traveling coach for Wagner. If/if/if Wagner inquired about his interest in that role, I would not blame Carroll for turning her down.

As for Mills, although the statement he issued on April 15 emphasized the conclusion of his role as Wagner's choreographer, it seemed to indicate that their work (of any kind) together is history.
Excerpts:
"Ashley Wagner and I have decided to go in different directions. Having worked with the greatest coaches and skaters over thirty years and having a very clear system on what works to make an elite skater successful I have made this decision. ....
Ashley and I have accomplished so much in the past three years and I’ve enjoyed working with her as her coach and choreographer. This decision opens new opportunities for both of us.
"
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rjpgtp

npavel

On the Ice
I agree with Skater Boy. Carroll is a big boss, not a second choice. Besides once Ashley told the key of her success is the confidence she has riced in her skating her program. Instead of doing run through every day she takes a bit of the program and work on it until she can skate it well and then the next bit. When she puts all together she know she is ready with every detail of her routine. Carroll does run throughs every day.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I agree with Skater Boy. Carroll is a big boss, not a second choice. Besides once Ashley told the key of her success is the confidence she has riced in her skating her program. Instead of doing run through every day she takes a bit of the program and work on it until she can skate it well and then the next bit. When she puts all together she know she is ready with every detail of her routine. Carroll does run throughs every day.

In addition, bluntly, I don't think Ashley wants a second 'big boss' even if Carroll would agree. It sounds like she is just fine with Nicks continuing as her primary coach and is mostly just looking for someone to attend competitions with her, and probably hang out at her sessions with Nicks a few times a week. I am sure she hopes this person will contribute insight and also help her skating, but it doesn't sound like she's looking for another Nicks-caliber coach at least to me. In addition, if I'm correct in thinking/assuming based on how her statement is worded that this person would be working with her and Nicks, instead of working with her separately some days, financially she is probably looking for someone whose hourly rate is a bit lower, as she will essentially be paying for two coaches some days, not just one.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I also don't think Frank would want to coach Ashley because there isn't much upside for her. She is about as good as she is going to get at this point; she can perform clean SPs and clean 6 triple LPs consistently (relative to other skaters). She is not going to improve enough to get Yuna or Carolina PCS, and she isn't going to get a consistent 3/3. I doubt Frank would want to be at the helm when she likely loses her national title to Gracie next year.

Icey

Record Breaker
How about Christina Fassi? She doesn't seem to mind being a second banana. If Ashley plans on continuing after Sochi, I don't see why she just doesn't go ahead and get her coaching situation settled now and for the future.

mskater93

Record Breaker
If I were to choose for her, I'd pick Ken Congemi since he didn't go along with Frank C to Palm Springs. I liked his work with Bebe Liang when he had the majority of the responsibility.

Bruin714

On the Ice
Maybe Sarah Hughes coach, Robin Wagner. Robin seems like a pleasant person to travel with and be supportive without being overbearing. She also does choreography, which may help Ashley develop as an artist. Unlike Nichol & Wilson, Robin may be able to focus on Ashley the entire year as an assistant coach/choreographer.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Maybe Sarah Hughes coach, Robin Wagner. Robin seems like a pleasant person to travel with and be supportive without being overbearing. She also does choreography, which may help Ashley develop as an artist. Unlike Nichol & Wilson, Robin may be able to focus on Ashley the entire year as an assistant coach/choreographer.

I think Robin Wagner is really underrated as a coach. I'd love to see Ashley work with her.