Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 56

Thread: Ashley Wagner Statement Regarding Coaching Situation

  1. #31
    Custom Title Cherryy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    259
    From the cited article “In my mind, the dream scenario is that I would have winning programs at nationals and make the team,” she said. “I would go to Sochi, skate two perfect programs, with the crowd giving me a standing ovation for my free skate, and I would win the gold medal. I’ll settle for the podium, but I want that gold medal.”

    Hmm, interesting. I wonder if these were Ashley's exact words or the author changed them in order to sound more intriguing.

  2. #32
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by ffionhanathomas View Post
    Saw on twitter that she's going to Toronto. Is this a competition or coaching? Anyone know?
    Most likely to work with David Wilson.

  3. #33
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherryy View Post
    Hmm, interesting. I wonder if these were Ashley's exact words or the author changed them in order to sound more intriguing.
    I hope she isn't implying that not winning a medal would be a disappointing result for her. She can skate her very best but winning a medal will still be out of her hands, as there are three skaters ahead of her who MUST make mistakes for Ashley to medal.

  4. #34
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I hope she isn't implying that not winning a medal would be a disappointing result for her. She can skate her very best but winning a medal will still be out of her hands, as there are three skaters ahead of her who MUST make mistakes for Ashley to medal.
    I'm assuming you mean Kim, Kostner, and Asada. I agree about the first two (actually, I think some more-than-catastrophic events will have to arise for Ashley to beat them), but Ashley HAS beat Asada before. Asada rarely makes it through a competition without a few jumping mistakes, especially if she tries the 3A. If Ashley gets the 3-3 solid in the off-season (she's got until October), she could pose a realistic threat.

  5. #35
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,480
    Or Ashley could have trouble even staying number 1 in the US if Gracie continues to improve.

  6. #36
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,981
    I hate to think skating is about money and getting the right coach and choreographer. I almost feel bonus marks to those who try others than just wilson, nichol, Zueva, zhulin,Krylove and Camelango,etc. Wow, Ashley is going for it big time. I wonder what Gold might have to say about this?

  7. #37
    Custom Title mary01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    I'm assuming you mean Kim, Kostner, and Asada. I agree about the first two (actually, I think some more-than-catastrophic events will have to arise for Ashley to beat them), but Ashley HAS beat Asada before. Asada rarely makes it through a competition without a few jumping mistakes, especially if she tries the 3A. If Ashley gets the 3-3 solid in the off-season (she's got until October), she could pose a realistic threat.
    That was when Mao was having one of the worst season in her career, if not the worst, due to her mother passing away and her reworking he jumps. even if Mao makes mistakes on the jumps, her content and BV will still remain much higher. when one is planning 8 triples there is room for a mistake or two, but the same can not be said for someone who is only planning 6 triples.
    and I also don't agree about Carolina beeing certain to get a medal. if we assume that Carolina ads the more difficult combo's. I don't see her beeing able to execute them without mistake (falls), and I don't see Carolina falling and still get a medal rewarded at the Olympics, like she did at this worlds.

  8. #38
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherryy View Post
    From the cited article “In my mind, the dream scenario is that I would have winning programs at nationals and make the team,” she said. “I would go to Sochi, skate two perfect programs, with the crowd giving me a standing ovation for my free skate, and I would win the gold medal. I’ll settle for the podium, but I want that gold medal.”

    Hmm, interesting. I wonder if these were Ashley's exact words or the author changed them in order to sound more intriguing.
    she said not about US national, but about Sochi olympics, she hope that she would make these things - win the Gold medal, two perfect clean programs, receiving standing ovation?? sounds like a very ambitious dream...

  9. #39
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    I'm assuming you mean Kim, Kostner, and Asada. I agree about the first two (actually, I think some more-than-catastrophic events will have to arise for Ashley to beat them), but Ashley HAS beat Asada before. Asada rarely makes it through a competition without a few jumping mistakes, especially if she tries the 3A. If Ashley gets the 3-3 solid in the off-season (she's got until October), she could pose a realistic threat.
    I agree.

  10. #40
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Most likely to work with David Wilson.
    Oh of course, I forgot about that! Thank you very much

  11. #41
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,670
    Of course Ashley has high aspirations and big dreams. Everyone does.

  12. #42
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherryy View Post
    From the cited article “In my mind, the dream scenario is that I would have winning programs at nationals and make the team,” she said. “I would go to Sochi, skate two perfect programs, with the crowd giving me a standing ovation for my free skate, and I would win the gold medal. I’ll settle for the podium, but I want that gold medal.”

    Hmm, interesting. I wonder if these were Ashley's exact words or the author changed them in order to sound more intriguing.
    While I have no problem with Ashley voicing her Olympic dreams (dream big!), I think gold medal is 99% impossible. Sure, there's a tiny chance that the top contenders could melt down and Ashley could be perfect, with 3/3s here and there. It's just that historically, Olympic gold medalists have never not had a world medal before winning gold. Not even the "flukiest" of champions, Sarah Hughes, lacked a world medal.

    Liz Manley might give Ashley Wagner hope--she earned an Olympic medal without earning a world medal first, and had been to a few worlds already, as Ashley did. However, she was also skating on home ice...

  13. #43
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,123
    Well, since she did say she was just describing her dream scenario, I think it would be odd if she said her ultimate dream was anything less than Olympic gold. She said dream, not realistic assessment. I truly believe if there was not some spark of that dream in every elite athlete, he or she wouldn't be an elite athlete, but would be someone like me, competing for life in their chosen sports -- at a local level (for me, horse shows and some dog sports, not that it matters).

  14. #44
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherryy View Post
    From the cited article “In my mind, the dream scenario is that I would have winning programs at nationals and make the team,” she said. “I would go to Sochi, skate two perfect programs, with the crowd giving me a standing ovation for my free skate, and I would win the gold medal. I’ll settle for the podium, but I want that gold medal.”

    Hmm, interesting. I wonder if these were Ashley's exact words or the author changed them in order to sound more intriguing.
    I think she is likely responding to a question about how things would go down in her "ideal scenario" so to speak. That's why one has to be careful when reading one of these "articles". I find it much more informative to listen to the teleconference (or watch the actual interview), if available. I'm thankful for Ice Network putting them up.
    __________________

    Say what you will about Wagner, but this is one thing I like about her. She is not afraid to voice her ambitions. Many seem to treat doing so as a "negative" or a "bad thing" and I wish that would stop. There was another piece (I believe it was one of her "Classroom Champions" pieces- go search YouTube if interested) where she stated her long term goal was to become world champ. She was talking to the kids about the importance of setting long- and short-term goals.

    Now, is such a goal achievable? That could be up for debate, and to do a true assessment we must wait and see what condition she is in at season's beginning...All she can do is to give it her best effort and let the chips fall. Once you finish skating, it's all out of your control.

  15. #45
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by mary01 View Post
    That was when Mao was having one of the worst season in her career, if not the worst, due to her mother passing away and her reworking he jumps. even if Mao makes mistakes on the jumps, her content and BV will still remain much higher. when one is planning 8 triples there is room for a mistake or two, but the same can not be said for someone who is only planning 6 triples.
    and I also don't agree about Carolina beeing certain to get a medal. if we assume that Carolina ads the more difficult combo's. I don't see her beeing able to execute them without mistake (falls), and I don't see Carolina falling and still get a medal rewarded at the Olympics, like she did at this worlds.
    I agree about Mao's poor 2011-2012 season due to circumstances far beyond her control, but I'm also making my prediction based on what we've seen in the past. The point I was making is that Mao rarely makes it through an entire competition without a few popped/UR/missed jumps. We don't know what she and Ashley's program layouts will be next season, so anything we say at this point is pure speculation.

    You're distorting some of my claims. I never said that Carolina is certain to get a medal; I said that she would have to have a very bad competition for Ashley to surpass her. At the Olympics, a Carolina with multiple falls could easily land off of the podium.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •