Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Ashley Wagner Statement Regarding Coaching Situation

Custom Title
    Well, I think right now all of us can sit here and "armchair quarterback" based on what happened last season, etc. None of us has a clue what will transpire in the next 8-9 months. Ashley has just as good a chance as anybody else and she would be irresponsible if she didn't have her sights set on the gold medal. I doubt anyone goes out and practices for hours and hours and gives up a good portion of their young lives to train for a silver or a bronze medal. And OF COURSE she will be disappointed if she's not on the podium. What kind of a person would she be, what kind of an international qualified figure skater would she be, if she was just skating for the fun of it and didn't care if she medaled or not! Not at this stage of her career. So all anyone can do is predict but I sure wouldn't go to the bank with any of the predictions at this time of year. Wait until the GP series starts and see how some of these skaters do.

As much as I would like to see Ashley or Gracie on top of the podium.....I'm just looking forward to a really, really GOOD competitive year. I pretty much like all the top skaters - not so much Carolina - but alot of people are peaking at the right time. It's going to be a great year for figure skating!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I hate to think skating is about money and getting the right coach and choreographer.
    In my opinion an excellent coach and a choreographer who really knows her/his CoP stuff are very wise choices. But they are not enough. A skater who is able to skate to an excellent CoP choreography is also needed....

Quote Originally Posted by Cherryy View Post
    From the cited article “In my mind, the dream scenario is that I would have winning programs at nationals and make the team,” she said. “I would go to Sochi, skate two perfect programs, with the crowd giving me a standing ovation for my free skate, and I would win the gold medal.
    Isn't this the dream of every Olympic team member?

Medalist
    An agent could have a field day if Ashley had Robin Wagner as her coach, advertising the team of "Wagner and Wagner." Reminds me of what NBC wanted when they suggested Lindsay Wagner (Bionic Woman) to costar with Robert Wagner on Hart to Hart in 1979. (Stefanie Powers got the part instead).

Actually, Robin always makes me do a double take since I started watching H2H on DVD - I keep picturing Robert Wagner as a skating coach and have to read the name again! LOL.

Down With It
    Don't give them any ideas...they're already having enough of a field day with Gracie "Gold"...!

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Don't give them any ideas...they're already having enough of a field day with Gracie "Gold"...!
    Oh, shoot me now.

It's not her fault!!

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    It's not her fault!!
    Umm...did I say it was?

You didn't, but Soundtracks implied it might be!

Miserere Nobis
    It's not her fault!!
    Yep. Dunno why people (here and on Twitter, too) are harping on Gracie's last name as it relates to her skating. Of course the media will milk the last drops out of that connection -- did anyone honestly expect them not to?

The "field day" is due to Gracie's early senior success. I doubt she'd be half as popular if she didn't have the results to show for it.

Medalist
    You didn't, but Soundtracks implied it might be!
    Sorry, I meant to harp on the commentators for going after it. It seems like they can't leave anything alone and once they start they never let it go.

I remember NBC having a field day with Mohini Bhardwaj in gymnastics. EVERY broadcast (if not every routine) we would get, "Her name means illusion in Hindi, but she's very real," or something like that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4