Thread: Should the short dance and original dance alternate each year?

Hybrid View

#TeamAUS

Should the short dance and original dance alternate each year?

The Original Dance was replaced by the short dance after the elimination of the compulsory dance. Both sections scored the program components out of 40.

The elements for the original dance were
    - 1 short lift
    - 1 Set of twizzles
    - 2 step sequences (in hold and no touch)

If all were given level 4 the total base value= 4+6+8+8=26pts
    If all level 4 elements then get +3, the highest possible TES=4+(1.5)+6+(1.5)+8+(3)+8+(3)=35pts

The short dance elements are
    - 1 short lift
    - 1 Set of twizzles
    - 1 no touch step sequence
    - 2 sequences of a compulsory dance

If all were given level 4 the total base value 2 would = 4+6+8+7+7=32pts
    If all level 4 element then get +3, the highest TES= 4+(1.5)+6+(1.5)+8+(3)+7+(1.5)+7+(1.5)=41pts

At the end of the original dance era, the ISU began choosing more conceptual themes for this section which made it entertaining. Wouldn't it be cool if they could alternate between the two dances each year. Maybe to make up for the 6pt deficit between the highest possible TES you can get in the SD and the OD, maybe a choreographed step sequence in the style of the OD worth a fixed base value of 3pts with positive GOE increasing by increments of 1pt (I.e. +1=4pts, +2=5pts and +3 GOE=6pts) and negative GOE decreasing by increments of 0.5 (-1=2.5pts, -2=2.0pts and -3=1.5). This sequence shouldn't have a huge base value as this element is more about the style of the dance, rather than about getting a specific number of moves and steps in.

I miss the original dance a lot. I was really looking forward to their 50s, 60s and 70s theme.

Custom Title
    Interesting idea! That's really thinking out of the box.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I miss the OD too! And the CD's!

However, I've got to say that I really liked a lot of this year's polka SD's, particularly Meryl & Charlie's Giselle polka, which has to be my favorite SD ever
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7etC7yMjE-s

And anyone who says you can't tell a story in an SD hasn't watched what Zhiganshina & Gaszi did with this year's SD, or for that matter, Bobrova & Soloviev's SD.

#TeamAUS
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I miss the OD too! And the CD's!

However, I've got to say that I really liked a lot of this year's polka SD's, particularly Meryl & Charlie's Giselle polka, which has to be my favorite SD ever
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7etC7yMjE-s

And anyone who says you can't tell a story in an SD hasn't watched what Zhiganshina & Gaszi did with this year's SD, or for that matter, Bobrova & Soloviev's SD.
    You got that right. The best dancers are those who can create magic within the constraints. Anyone have connections to an ISU member. I think that my suggestion above might be good for ice dance.

I agree that the idea could be good, but in the OD year, the skater wouldn't compete compulsory dances at all or there would be a separate CD competition?

#TeamAUS
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    I agree that the idea could be good, but in the OD year, the skater wouldn't compete compulsory dances at all or there would be a separate CD competition?
    No. Just omit the compulsory portion as a whole. Having specified rhythms and dances are great and all but there is a whole world of dance outside the ballroom and latin world and there only so many compulsory dances out there. When they were tapping conceptual themes such as folk music and were going to do the 50s, 60s and 70s theme, I was really excited for that.

Besides with the ISU implementing 'partial step sequences' after the Olympic season, the compulsory portion of the SD is becoming even less significant. Also, variety is a good thing.