Cancer battle ice star tells her kids: I've lost the fight | Golden Skate

Cancer battle ice star tells her kids: I've lost the fight

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Champion ice skater Katie Scarbrough has revealed the heartbreaking moment she told her two young children that she has just weeks left to live.

More

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Champion ice skater Katie Scarbrough has revealed the heartbreaking moment she told her two young children that she has just weeks left to live.

More

Thanks for posting the link to the story from Saturday's Tele.

Although, they are a bit slow on it, as I posted the story on this forum on Thursday! ;)

If you go into the thread in which I have been posting about Katie's cancer battle, you can find that message, which includes a direct link to Katie's blog post about telling the children.

But, it is not all doom and gloom. Since the blog post, Katie and the family went on a day out to the beach at Weston-super-Mare, Somerset. Her husband, Stuart, posted some photos of it on Facebook on Saturday. And, I have to say, although she did look frail, overall she looked a lot better than I expected.

I'm not posting any links to any of the photos of the family, as I don't want to invade their privacy at this difficult time. But, here is a photo which I think you will find very touching:

http://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/401216_10151421659347671_1834288064_n.jpg

Although she was understandably very upset when writing the blog post, it looks like Katie has decided to make the most of what time she has left, and enjoy it with her family.

Good on you, Katie! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Katie's story is so heartwrenching. I really admire the way she is handling her disease, her prognosis, and especially her honesty with her children.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I lost my mother to cancer, and it was heartbreaking for me... and I was nearly 40 when she was diagnosed. I can't imagine dealing with this as a child.

God bless her, her husband, and her children through the challenging days ahead.

If you're close to your mother, as you clearly were and I was, there's no age that's old enough. But for children to lose a mother is an extra heartbreak. I add my prayer to yours, TontoK.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I lost my mother to cancer, and it was heartbreaking for me... and I was nearly 40 when she was diagnosed. I can't imagine dealing with this as a child.

If you're close to your mother, as you clearly were and I was, there's no age that's old enough. But for children to lose a mother is an extra heartbreak. I add my prayer to yours, TontoK.

I can't imagine it either. I am very close to my parents, and am fortunate to still have both of them. But I lost my maternal grandfather, who I was very close to, when I was 11. And I was heartbroken - 16 years on and I still really miss him.

So what those kiddies must be going through must be incredibly heartbreaking. My thoughts are particularly with them at this time.

Heartbreaking :cry: Very poignant photo.

As you probably know by now (I posted it in a new thread so that it would be prominent), Katie died yesterday morning.

Since the sad news was revealed, there have been many tributes left on Katie's Facebook profile.

One of the tributes was another photo which was very poignant. So, since it was in this thread that we were talking about poignant photos, I have decided to put the link up here, rather than in the new thread (http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?40919).

When Katie was skating, she trained at the Dundonald Ice Bowl. So, one of her friends that Katie skated with went there yesterday, and made this tribute to Katie:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/248060_591282767563037_1405286492_n.jpg

Very simple, but very poignant.

Katie might be gone, but the memories will remain.

CaroLiza_fan

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I feel so sorry for her children. I lost my father when I was 11 and 54 years later I still miss him. Will keep them and her husband Stuart in my prayers.

I posted a thread in the Announcement section about a show in Columbus, OH to raise money for breast cancer research - Skate for Hope. If you are in the area of Columbus on June 15 you may want to attend and help raise money. What is especially touching about this show is that many young/old/elite/beginner skaters participate. The elite headliners are donating their appearances, but the other skaters raise money to donate to the show in order to appear. Many of these young skaters have been touched by cancer in their families. I hope no one is offended by this Announcement being in this thread. Just trying to bring more attention to a way to help beat this terrible disease.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I hope no one is offended by this Announcement being in this thread. Just trying to bring more attention to a way to help beat this terrible disease.

Personally, I can't see any problem with you posting about the Columbus show here. After all, Katie did all she could to raise awareness of the cancer she was suffering from. So I am sure she would approve of you trying to do the same.

It really is an evil disease that touches so many people, so anything that helps research into it is to be applauded.

Good luck with the show

CaroLiza_fan