Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Skate Detroit July 23-27, 2013

Skate Detroit July 23-27, 2013

Skate Detroit will be held July 23-27, 2013, at the Detroit Skate Club in Bloomfield Hills, MI.

This is a very exciting competition featuring a lot of international skaters. Events cover all levels of competition. The only skating discipline not included (at least the last 2 years) is ice dance.

Admission is free and so is parking. If you love to watch skating it is entirely possible to spend 12 hours a day at this competition.

They also have a cafe which has really good food at reasonable prices.

Based on my past experience we won't have a schedule for quite a while.

I have read that the new pairs team of Becky Bereswill/Joshua Reagen will be competing!.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    It's too bad that a competition located at the absolute center of excellence for the current ice dance world does not have dance

But it is a great competition.

Will streaming video be available?

I know, it is a real shame there isn't a dance comp. In 2011 they did have 2 or 3 junior/senior dance teams and did a mixed junior/senior exhibition (can't remember if they got scores). 2012 I don't remember any dance, but they did have pairs! I was very excited in 2011 to see Hubbell/Donohue (he fell, lol). Also got to see Aldridge/Eaton (hope I got the names right!) who were juniors.

Don't know about the video streaming but I'll post anything I read on the website. I know they were going to stream the DSC show last year, but it had major glitches and I don't know if they would even attempt streaming for so many days for the comp.

Do you think Alissa Czisny might skate?

It's possible if she's on the comeback trail and healthy enough to compete. It's also possible that you'd see Hannah Miller, Carley Gold, or Gracie Gold in Senior Ladies if programs are ready to get out there (Hannah's probably will be since she'll probably be on the JGP again and will need to have programs ready by July)

I think Hannah, Carley and Gracie have done the shows for the last few years so I'm hoping to see them again. I've never seen Alissa C. but gosh, I think she will have to qualify for Nationals this year either through regionals/sectionals or GP events so maybe she will be at Skate Detroit to try out her programs.

I also read that Scimca/Knierim will be at Skate Detroit. I really like this pair and am anxious to see their new programs.

It seems that this year's Indy Challenge which is a big summer pairs competition in Indianapolis has been postponed. I'm hoping that some of the teams will choose to compete at Skate Detroit instead!

I recently read that Felicia Zhang/Nate Bartholomay, bronze medals U. S. Nationals 2013, will be at Skate Detroit and are hoping to include SBS 3Lutz jumps to challenge the Canadian team of Duhamel/Radford. Not sure if I actually read this somewhere (or I am dreaming) but I think Becky Bereswill/Josh Reagan will be competing together for the first time at Skate Detroit - kind of convenient since they train at Detroit Skating Club.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Partial tweet on Jun 11 from ‏@LynnRutherford:
    I will miss Indy too but Detroit is shaping up to be a helluva a pairs' event&I understand they have added dance.
    https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/s...36754536861696

And a partial tweet from her on Jun 10:
    Skate Detroit is in essence replacing Indy this season, most coaches going there.
    https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/s...43042837630976

(But the DSC announcement for Skate Detroit does not mention dance, as far as I can see??

I hope Valentina Marchei skates there! She would be allowed, right?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    I hope Valentina Marchei skates there! She would be allowed, right?
    Allowed by who? I think she's free to compete there unless her coach/federation doesn't want her to compete at Skate Detroit.

i'll definitely be there. i'm 99% sure hannah will be there and i'm sure carly and gracie will too. i go from early morning to the very end of the day for final rounds. nothing i love to do more!

Here is a link to the 2013 schedule! http://dscclub.com/downloads/skatedetroit-schedule.pdf

For those who haven't attended other years, notice that there are 2 ice surfaces and both are in use everyday, all day. Saturday is a real marathon for judges, coaches, and fans!

As you enter the facility Rink C is to your left. Most of the senior competitions, and some junior events will be in Rink C. To your right is Rink B where novice and some junior events will be held. The third ice surface is Rink A, but it is tucked away somewhere and not accessible to fans (it is also not regulation size ice).
    Last edited by MFarone; 06-30-2013 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Add info

I looked through the Skate Detroit schedule this morning and found Jr. and Sr. Short Dance and Free Dance info. Short dance (combined Jr. & Sr.) will be Friday night at 10:30 and competition ends about 10:55 - can't be too many competitors. The Free Dances are scheduled at the end of the competition on Saturday night (about 10:15).

I was hoping for more dance, but this is better than none.

Another thing I should mention is that the rinks are very cold and the hotter it is outside the colder it will be in the rinks. Remember socks, jackets, and maybe a blanket!

There is a very nice snack bar/grill inside the main doors of the facility. The food is good (really!!) and reasonable. They have grill items - hamburgers/cheeseburgers/grilled chicken plus salads and snacks. I think they have chili, but I'm not positive. Also, of course, beverages - juices, soda, water, coffee, hot chocolate. The prices are reasonable - nothing at all like the big arenas (thank goodness).

I'm really hoping that the list of competitors will be available soon.....getting excited!

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by macy View Post
    i'll definitely be there. i'm 99% sure hannah will be there and i'm sure carly and gracie will too. i go from early morning to the very end of the day for final rounds. nothing i love to do more!
    I don't think Gracie will be there, seeing as how she's scheduled to skate in Mao Asada's show from the 24th to the 28th.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MFarone View Post
    I looked through the Skate Detroit schedule this morning and found Jr. and Sr. Short Dance and Free Dance info. Short dance (combined Jr. & Sr.) will be Friday night at 10:30 and competition ends about 10:55 - can't be too many competitors. The Free Dances are scheduled at the end of the competition on Saturday night (about 10:15).

I was hoping for more dance, but this is better than none.
    Thanks for the dance news, MF.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast