Skate Detroit July 23-27, 2013 | Golden Skate

Skate Detroit July 23-27, 2013

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Skate Detroit will be held July 23-27, 2013, at the Detroit Skate Club in Bloomfield Hills, MI.

This is a very exciting competition featuring a lot of international skaters. Events cover all levels of competition. The only skating discipline not included (at least the last 2 years) is ice dance.

Admission is free and so is parking. If you love to watch skating it is entirely possible to spend 12 hours a day at this competition.

They also have a cafe which has really good food :) at reasonable prices.

Based on my past experience we won't have a schedule for quite a while.

I have read that the new pairs team of Becky Bereswill/Joshua Reagen will be competing!.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's too bad that a competition located at the absolute center of excellence for the current ice dance world does not have dance :cry:

But it is a great competition.

Will streaming video be available?

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I know, it is a real shame there isn't a dance comp. In 2011 they did have 2 or 3 junior/senior dance teams and did a mixed junior/senior exhibition (can't remember if they got scores). 2012 I don't remember any dance, but they did have pairs! I was very excited in 2011 to see Hubbell/Donohue (he fell, lol). Also got to see Aldridge/Eaton (hope I got the names right!) who were juniors.

Don't know about the video streaming but I'll post anything I read on the website. I know they were going to stream the DSC show last year, but it had major glitches and I don't know if they would even attempt streaming for so many days for the comp.

mskater93

Record Breaker
It's possible if she's on the comeback trail and healthy enough to compete. It's also possible that you'd see Hannah Miller, Carley Gold, or Gracie Gold in Senior Ladies if programs are ready to get out there (Hannah's probably will be since she'll probably be on the JGP again and will need to have programs ready by July)

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think Hannah, Carley and Gracie have done the shows for the last few years so I'm hoping to see them again. I've never seen Alissa C. but gosh, I think she will have to qualify for Nationals this year either through regionals/sectionals or GP events so maybe she will be at Skate Detroit to try out her programs.

I also read that Scimca/Knierim will be at Skate Detroit. I really like this pair and am anxious to see their new programs.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It seems that this year's Indy Challenge which is a big summer pairs competition in Indianapolis has been postponed. I'm hoping that some of the teams will choose to compete at Skate Detroit instead!

I recently read that Felicia Zhang/Nate Bartholomay, bronze medals U. S. Nationals 2013, will be at Skate Detroit and are hoping to include SBS 3Lutz jumps to challenge the Canadian team of Duhamel/Radford. Not sure if I actually read this somewhere (or I am dreaming) but I think Becky Bereswill/Josh Reagan will be competing together for the first time at Skate Detroit - kind of convenient since they train at Detroit Skating Club.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Partial tweet on Jun 11 from ‏@LynnRutherford:
I will miss Indy too but Detroit is shaping up to be a helluva a pairs' event&I understand they have added dance.
https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/344436754536861696

And a partial tweet from her on Jun 10:
Skate Detroit is in essence replacing Indy this season, most coaches going there.
https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/344143042837630976

(But the DSC announcement for Skate Detroit does not mention dance, as far as I can see??

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I hope Valentina Marchei skates there! She would be allowed, right?

macy

Record Breaker
i'll definitely be there. i'm 99% sure hannah will be there and i'm sure carly and gracie will too. i go from early morning to the very end of the day for final rounds. nothing i love to do more!

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Here is a link to the 2013 schedule! http://dscclub.com/downloads/skatedetroit-schedule.pdf

For those who haven't attended other years, notice that there are 2 ice surfaces and both are in use everyday, all day. Saturday is a real marathon for judges, coaches, and fans!

As you enter the facility Rink C is to your left. Most of the senior competitions, and some junior events will be in Rink C. To your right is Rink B where novice and some junior events will be held. The third ice surface is Rink A, but it is tucked away somewhere and not accessible to fans (it is also not regulation size ice).

Last edited:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I looked through the Skate Detroit schedule this morning and found Jr. and Sr. Short Dance and Free Dance info. Short dance (combined Jr. & Sr.) will be Friday night at 10:30 and competition ends about 10:55 - can't be too many competitors. The Free Dances are scheduled at the end of the competition on Saturday night (about 10:15).

I was hoping for more dance, but this is better than none.

Another thing I should mention is that the rinks are very cold and the hotter it is outside the colder it will be in the rinks. Remember socks, jackets, and maybe a blanket!

There is a very nice snack bar/grill inside the main doors of the facility. The food is good (really!!) and reasonable. They have grill items - hamburgers/cheeseburgers/grilled chicken plus salads and snacks. I think they have chili, but I'm not positive. Also, of course, beverages - juices, soda, water, coffee, hot chocolate. The prices are reasonable - nothing at all like the big arenas (thank goodness).

I'm really hoping that the list of competitors will be available soon.....getting excited!

ForeverFish

Medalist
i'll definitely be there. i'm 99% sure hannah will be there and i'm sure carly and gracie will too. i go from early morning to the very end of the day for final rounds. nothing i love to do more!

I don't think Gracie will be there, seeing as how she's scheduled to skate in Mao Asada's show from the 24th to the 28th.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I looked through the Skate Detroit schedule this morning and found Jr. and Sr. Short Dance and Free Dance info. Short dance (combined Jr. & Sr.) will be Friday night at 10:30 and competition ends about 10:55 - can't be too many competitors. The Free Dances are scheduled at the end of the competition on Saturday night (about 10:15).

I was hoping for more dance, but this is better than none.

Thanks for the dance news, MF. :)

Mysticchic

Rinkside
MF is right, the food is really good there! Gracie won't be there this year, but Hannah Miller and Mariah Bell will be. Alex Johnson has withdrawn due to recent surgery. I am trying to get a list of skaters to post. A lot of Canadian skaters will be competing. Zach and Madi and Daniel and Alex will be competing in ice dance. Pairs will be awesome!
Rink A is to the right of rink B (just follow rink B around, then go out to the other lobby and it's to the left (on the right is the skate shop). It's not off limits. They have practices back there. It's dark and cold and only a few places to sit. I have been told there are 720 skaters that will compete.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There are a large group of Canadian skaters at Liberty. It seems that Skate Canada is really encouraging their skaters to compete in the US this summer. I wonder whether there will be as many competitors as there usually are at the Canadian summer competitions as well?

Snoopy15

On the Ice
There are a large group of Canadian skaters at Liberty. It seems that Skate Canada is really encouraging their skaters to compete in the US this summer. I wonder whether there will be as many competitors as there usually are at the Canadian summer competitions as well?

Judging from the entry list at BC/YT Summerskate, there has been quite an increase in the number of competitors. Some from the States, some from the East of Canada; lots of people from all over.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm really surprised that the list of competitors isn't available yet....the event starts tomorrow (Tuesday). The last couple of years the list was available 2 or 3 days before the competition so I really hoped it would be out today :cry:. I know the volunteers and DSC are really busy...I would just really like to have some idea which senior ladies and men are registered.