Skate Detroit July 23-27, 2013 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skate Detroit July 23-27, 2013

yfbg722

Spectator
Country
Canada
I'm really surprised that the list of competitors isn't available yet....the event starts tomorrow (Tuesday). The last couple of years the list was available 2 or 3 days before the competition so I really hoped it would be out today :cry:. I know the volunteers and DSC are really busy...I would just really like to have some idea which senior ladies and men are registered.

It was actually posted by July 11th last year but I have a feeling that they got more registrants than they expected this year and are working double time to try to get everything done. Still, it WOULD be nice to see the competitors list. I'm going to be there and would like to plan my viewing schedule. :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
bratus913, Welcome to Golden Skate! Post long & often!

You're right. Finding out who is going to be skating at summer competitions always seems possible, but never really is.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Here are some names I've picked up over at FSU and from tweets:

Grant Hochstein, Timothy Dolensky, Alaine Chartrand (Canada).

Haven Denney/Frazier; Calalang/Sidhu; Zhang/Bartholomay; Kayne/O'Shea; Lawrence/Swiegers; Hawayek/Baker; Brianna de la Mora/Wilson

I also wonder what happened to Alex Johnson....haven't seen anything about an injury.

Last year I bought a program which helped a lot identifying skaters (no pictures though). I really hope they will have them again this year. I think it was $5 and was for sale at a booth towards the right side of the lobby near the DSC office.

I checked with DSC and they will have programs for sale at a podium to the right of the lobby near Rink B and the DSC office. Young man I spoke with didn't know the cost but said they would have the sign up on the podium shortly and programs will be available. Since it doesn't look like a list will be available online this seems like a good investment. It can be difficult to understand the names of the competitors over the sound system - compounded by not knowing some of them at all.

Last edited:

Sk8DSmom

Rinkside
Hi there, Hoping that if anyone is there today or Wed morning, can you tell me how many Intermediate Men are in the flight? I would appreciate it! I was hoping we would know the listing of competitors by now.

(The short is scheduled for Thurs Jul 25 9:35pm )

Thank you!

ice coverage

Record Breaker

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Welcome to Golden Skate Sk8DSmom. I won't get to Skate Detroit until late on Wednesday or possibly Thursday morning so hopefully someone else can help you out.

Thanks golden411 for the additional names.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I checked with DSC and they will have programs for sale at a podium to the right of the lobby near Rink B and the DSC office. Young man I spoke with didn't know the cost but said they would have the sign up on the podium shortly and programs will be available. Since it doesn't look like a list will be available online this seems like a good investment. It can be difficult to understand the names of the competitors over the sound system - compounded by not knowing some of them at all.

fyi, DSC commented yesterday on its Facebook page:
"The Detroit Skating Club doesn't typically release or pre-post entries for Skate Detroit. After the competition begins Skate Stuff does a fine job of posting this information. Entry details are available at the competition."
https://www.facebook.com/detroitSka...?comment_id=3255491&offset=0&total_comments=3

:eek:hwell:

mskater93

Record Breaker
That is within their rights and it IS true that they haven't typically posted the groups before.

As for #s of skaters in events, a seasoned verteran OR a good coach can estimate how many are in a given group based on time alloted and length of program.

Sk8DSmom

Rinkside
fyi, DSC commented yesterday on its Facebook page:
"The Detroit Skating Club doesn't typically release or pre-post entries for Skate Detroit. After the competition begins Skate Stuff does a fine job of posting this information. Entry details are available at the competition."
https://www.facebook.com/detroitSka...?comment_id=3255491&offset=0&total_comments=3

:eek:hwell:

Welcome to Golden Skate Sk8DSmom. I won't get to Skate Detroit until late on Wednesday or possibly Thursday morning so hopefully someone else can help you out.

Thank you all for your update/response :) I guess hubby and DS probably won't know until they get there (I'm won't be there *sniff* *sniff* :( ). DS is doing this comp for the 1st time -this is more mental prep for him than anything else at this point and hoping he does ok.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
It's strange because Skate Detroit always let Don Korte's site post the registered entries and groups before the start of their competition in past years. I will be working my sources at the competition this week to gather results, news, etc. and will post a link to a compilation in my blog if I am am successful.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm certainly not going to argue with DSC about this issue, but I know I'm not crazy either :p. I've gone the last 2 years for at least part of the competition and I know I saw a list of competitors on Don Korte's website by at least the 2nd day of the competition. Sylvia always has info on results from fans that tweet or text her throughout the week. Since I have a "dumb" phone and no texting on it, I can't really help with that.

Hope everyone who attends has a great time.

lcd

Match Penalty
I hope Alex Johnson is healing ok.

Where do all the DSC skaters who normally train there during the week of this very large competition? Patrick Chan must have had to find ice elsewhere.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Hi there, Hoping that if anyone is there today or Wed morning, can you tell me how many Intermediate Men are in the flight? I would appreciate it! I was hoping we would know the listing of competitors by now.
I asked someone at the rink and 12 Intermediate Men are registered to compete.

Scout

Final Flight
Thanks for compiling all the info Sylvia! Just wanted to mention that I love the site & appreciate all the work!

Huge number of Canadian skaters. Wondering if Skate Canada is putting more emphasis on these comps to determine JP assignments.

I'm so excited about the pairs competition. So happy to see Bobak on the list. I always wondered what happened to her after her phenomenal season with Beharry. Obviously excited to see Brubaker & Davis' debut.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wow, some high-level skating from the Pairs.

Per Sylvia's Twitter:

Moore-Towers/Moscovitch CAN 70.76
Zhang/Bartholomay 64.41
Donlan/Speroff 62.06
Leng/LeDuc 61.57
Kayne/O'Shea 61.25
Davis/Brubaker 58.80
Lawrence/Swiegers 54.64
Denney/Frazier 54.49
Calalang/Sidhu 51.88
Purdy/Marinaro CAN 50.95
Baga/Toth 47.51
Brown/Furiano CAN 46.11
Kemp/King (GBR) 43.39
Bobak/Penasse (CAN, reteam) 41.31
Bereswill/Reagan (new) 36.11

Man, look at that HUGE bunch up of 60+ scores from the U.S. pairs. (and Davis/Brubaker is not too far behind 58+ is a great score for a new team). If this level of skating keeps up, .the Pairs competition at Nationals (and the battle for Olympic spots) might get interesting....

ETA: For comparison, Scimeca/Knierim scored 65.69 at their SP exhibition at Broadmoor a few weeks back.

ETA2: Skater Tim Dolensky was at the competition and tweeted a whole bunch of notes, which Sylvia Tweeted:

Sylvia ‏@SylviaUnseen 2h
#SkateDetroit Sr Pairs SP, cont. @TarahKayne & @doshea213 via @TimDolensky "did good! 3Tw, 3Sal, throw 3Lo, James Bond music" 61.25
Expand
Sylvia ‏@SylviaUnseen 2h
#SkateDetroit @Kirsten_MT & Dylan via @TimDolensky "were awesome! Last yr's SP nice 3Tw, solid 3T, saved throw loop, great choreo, 70 pts!"
Expand
Sylvia ‏@SylviaUnseen 2h
#SkateDetroit @DonlanSperoff via @TimDolensky "did 3T, nice throw sal, nice 3Tw, lovely choreo" 62.06 in 1st ahead of Davis/Brubaker 58.80
Expand
Sylvia ‏@SylviaUnseen 2h
#SkateDetroit Sr Pairs SP, cont. Baga/Toth via @TimDolensky: "eked out 3T, good 2Tw, good throw sal, score was 47 something."
Expand
Sylvia ‏@SylviaUnseen 2h
#SkateDetroit Sr Pairs SP: Davis/Brubaker via @TimDolensky: "high 2Tw, 3 sals, really nice throw sal, decent choreo. Looked pretty good!"

Country
Russia
ETA: For comparison, Scimeca/Knierim scored 65.69 at their SP exhibition at Broadmoor a few weeks back.
Scores at local competitions are not comparable both for each other and hi-level (like Nationals) competitions.

Scores may be both higher or lower. I remember Summer competition at 2012, where all the skaters had very low PCS (significantly lower than the same skaters obtained at other competitions, including Nats). Scores because of this were low.