Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Skate Detroit July 23-27, 2013

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    fyi, DSC commented yesterday on its Facebook page:
    "The Detroit Skating Club doesn't typically release or pre-post entries for Skate Detroit. After the competition begins Skate Stuff does a fine job of posting this information. Entry details are available at the competition."
    https://www.facebook.com/detroitSkat...tal_comments=3

Quote Originally Posted by MFarone View Post
    Welcome to Golden Skate Sk8DSmom. I won't get to Skate Detroit until late on Wednesday or possibly Thursday morning so hopefully someone else can help you out.
    Thank you all for your update/response I guess hubby and DS probably won't know until they get there (I'm won't be there *sniff* *sniff* :( ). DS is doing this comp for the 1st time -this is more mental prep for him than anything else at this point and hoping he does ok.

Custom Title
    It's strange because Skate Detroit always let Don Korte's site post the registered entries and groups before the start of their competition in past years. I will be working my sources at the competition this week to gather results, news, etc. and will post a link to a compilation in my blog if I am am successful.

I'm certainly not going to argue with DSC about this issue, but I know I'm not crazy either . I've gone the last 2 years for at least part of the competition and I know I saw a list of competitors on Don Korte's website by at least the 2nd day of the competition. Sylvia always has info on results from fans that tweet or text her throughout the week. Since I have a "dumb" phone and no texting on it, I can't really help with that.

Hope everyone who attends has a great time.

Custom Title
    I've typed up entries (as printed in the program book - these were all the photos that were sent to me) for Senior Men/Ladies/Pairs, Junior Men/Ladies/Pairs, and Novice Pairs: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/2...skate-detroit/

Custom Title
    I hope Alex Johnson is healing ok.

Where do all the DSC skaters who normally train there during the week of this very large competition? Patrick Chan must have had to find ice elsewhere.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8DSmom View Post
    Hi there, Hoping that if anyone is there today or Wed morning, can you tell me how many Intermediate Men are in the flight? I would appreciate it! I was hoping we would know the listing of competitors by now.
    I asked someone at the rink and 12 Intermediate Men are registered to compete.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I asked someone at the rink and 12 Intermediate Men are registered to compete.
    Thank you!

Custom Title
    Thanks for compiling all the info Sylvia! Just wanted to mention that I love the site & appreciate all the work!

Huge number of Canadian skaters. Wondering if Skate Canada is putting more emphasis on these comps to determine JP assignments.

I'm so excited about the pairs competition. So happy to see Bobak on the list. I always wondered what happened to her after her phenomenal season with Beharry. Obviously excited to see Brubaker & Davis' debut.

Wow, some high-level skating from the Pairs.

Per Sylvia's Twitter:

Moore-Towers/Moscovitch CAN 70.76
    Zhang/Bartholomay 64.41
    Donlan/Speroff 62.06
    Leng/LeDuc 61.57
    Kayne/O'Shea 61.25
    Davis/Brubaker 58.80
    Lawrence/Swiegers 54.64
    Denney/Frazier 54.49
    Calalang/Sidhu 51.88
    Purdy/Marinaro CAN 50.95
    Baga/Toth 47.51
    Brown/Furiano CAN 46.11
    Kemp/King (GBR) 43.39
    Bobak/Penasse (CAN, reteam) 41.31
    Bereswill/Reagan (new) 36.11

Man, look at that HUGE bunch up of 60+ scores from the U.S. pairs. (and Davis/Brubaker is not too far behind 58+ is a great score for a new team). If this level of skating keeps up, .the Pairs competition at Nationals (and the battle for Olympic spots) might get interesting....

ETA: For comparison, Scimeca/Knierim scored 65.69 at their SP exhibition at Broadmoor a few weeks back.

ETA2: Skater Tim Dolensky was at the competition and tweeted a whole bunch of notes, which Sylvia Tweeted:

Sylvia ‏@SylviaUnseen 2h
    #SkateDetroit Sr Pairs SP, cont. @TarahKayne & @doshea213 via @TimDolensky "did good! 3Tw, 3Sal, throw 3Lo, James Bond music" 61.25
    Expand
    Sylvia ‏@SylviaUnseen 2h
    #SkateDetroit @Kirsten_MT & Dylan via @TimDolensky "were awesome! Last yr's SP nice 3Tw, solid 3T, saved throw loop, great choreo, 70 pts!"
    Expand
    Sylvia ‏@SylviaUnseen 2h
    #SkateDetroit @DonlanSperoff via @TimDolensky "did 3T, nice throw sal, nice 3Tw, lovely choreo" 62.06 in 1st ahead of Davis/Brubaker 58.80
    Expand
    Sylvia ‏@SylviaUnseen 2h
    #SkateDetroit Sr Pairs SP, cont. Baga/Toth via @TimDolensky: "eked out 3T, good 2Tw, good throw sal, score was 47 something."
    Expand
    Sylvia ‏@SylviaUnseen 2h
    #SkateDetroit Sr Pairs SP: Davis/Brubaker via @TimDolensky: "high 2Tw, 3 sals, really nice throw sal, decent choreo. Looked pretty good!"

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    ETA: For comparison, Scimeca/Knierim scored 65.69 at their SP exhibition at Broadmoor a few weeks back.
    Scores at local competitions are not comparable both for each other and hi-level (like Nationals) competitions.

Scores may be both higher or lower. I remember Summer competition at 2012, where all the skaters had very low PCS (significantly lower than the same skaters obtained at other competitions, including Nats). Scores because of this were low.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexRus View Post
    Scores at local competitions are not comparable both for each other and hi-level (like Nationals) competitions.

Scores may be both higher or lower. I remember Summer competition at 2012, where all the skaters had very low PCS (significantly lower than the same skaters obtained at other competitions, including Nats). Scores because of this were low.
    Yes, they are not perfectly comparable to each other and isn't a perfect indicator to Nationals.

Still, I do still find it noteworthy that we're seeing some 60+ scores from a number of couples; not just a few. My hope is this level of skating continues.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Senior pairs rise to occasion in Skate Detroit short
    Canadians hit new high; Zhang, Bartholomay ride Carousel to second
    By Lynn Rutherford, special to icenetwork.com
    (07/26/2013)
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

ETA: @LynnRutherford also is tweeting from the competition when she can, but apparently the WiFi is erratic.

Rinkside
    Where do all the DSC skaters who normally train there during the week of this very large competition? Patrick Chan must have had to find ice elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

We usually just go to John Lindell ice arena in Royal Oak, it's about 20 minutes from DSC.

Custom Title
    Amazing how the last couple years there has been no depth in US Pairs skating now we've had like 5 teams so far get over 60 points in the SP so far this summer. Looks like the US Pairs depth has really been rebuilt in almost record time considering the lack of teams just last year at Nationals.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Skate Detroit 2013 Fun Facts: skaters representing clubs from...
    - 25 US States
    - 9 Canadian provinces
    - 14 Federations (USA, Canada, Japan, Bulgaria, Russia, Switzerland, Great Britain, Greece, Italy, Germany, Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, Mexico)
    https://www.facebook.com/detroitSkat...96393097108828

ETA:
    More Skate Detroit 2013 Fun Facts...
    - 747 skaters registered (601 female, 146 male).
    - 1,270 total starts (programs).
    https://www.facebook.com/detroitSkat...96735910407880

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast