"On artistry and athleticism": Poirier blog (May 2) | Golden Skate

"On artistry and athleticism": Poirier blog (May 2)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
"On artistry and athleticism": Poirier blog (May 2)

His entire post (substantive and not overly long) is worth reading, but here is an excerpt:
I’d like to stress this point; the goal of the figure skater, at the end of the season, is not to find himself halfway between artistry and athleticism, but rather, to bring these somehow unrelated extremes to a same location, where he can thrive in both. A perfect performance isn’t 50% sport, 50% art, but both exquisite in performance AND technique, that is, 100% of each.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
:slink: I found his post on being a student of linguistics a lot more interesting. :slink:
:laugh: Oh dear. Well I must admit that the former teacher and English grad in me was taking out a red pencil to correct the grammar but then I got fascinated by the word choices and started to enjoy it! We can't expect athletes to be good at everything, can we? I'm thrilled that the ideas are there, first and foremost and that he's trying to express them. I like this team and I hope that they grow in leaps and bounds next year. And he is a cutie (warms this old girl's heart).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
He seemed to relax when he was writing about linguistics, and write about what he really felt and knew. When he was writing about artistry, he seemed to be trying to write whatever it is that he thought he should be saying.

You're right that he is a very handsome young man, Scrufflet!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I tried reading his blog, but it felt almost immediately that he was writing to impress and not to communicate.