There has been a bit of buzz this season with people discussing what should net a +GOE on jumps or why skaters have received such high GOE for their jumps (other than height, distance, or speed) when it seems like there is nothing "spectacular" or "extraordinary" about them. And to be honest, I was wondering myself until a few very observant and knowledgeable posters pointed out that it was the way skaters set up or exited jumps that made them difficult.
So I decided to compile a list (off the top of my head!) about all the uncommon/difficult entrances or exits of jumps. This is what I came up with:
- Michelle Kwan - 1996 Worlds - 2A, exit into spiral
- Shen/Zhao - 2003 Worlds - Side-by-side spread eagle to 2A, exit into spread eagle
- Irina Slutskaya - 2006 Olympics - Loop-like set-up to one-foot(?) entrance to 2A, exit into spiral
- Yuna Kim - 2009 Worlds - Layback Ina Bauer into 2A, exiting into spiral
- Yuna Kim - 2010 Olympics - 3F, exit into circular spread eagle
- Yuna Kim - 2010 Olympics - 3S, exit into circular one-foot footwork
- Kurt Browning - 2011 All That Skate Summer - Outside to inside-edge spread eagle entrance into 2A, exit into spread eagle
- Ashley Wagner - 2012 Skate America - Spread eagle entrance into 3Lo
- Jason Brown - 2013 Jr. World Championships - Ina Bauer into mini-footwork entrance into 3Lz+3T
What do you think about the traditional entrances and exits to a jump with a held flowing edge, like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHfgjszz_Tk&t=0m50s (Yeah, you knew I was going to use an MK example.)
Personally, I like creative exits more than I do creative entrances, but I like both when timed well to the music. What about you guys? Do you think creative entrances are more important or creative exits? And what are examples of some of your favorites?
ETA: Yes, I know Yuna's got more from her 2010 Olympics LP! But those two were the ones I liked best.
ETA #2: Also, does anyone know of any with a 2A/3A with absolutely no indication that the skater is going to do an axel jump? I know I saw some on the forum once, but I can't remember who did those.