Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Roller figure skating!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    The problem is that the best skaters are beautiful to watch, but most of the competitors are not really good... To make you understand, most of the Senior Ladies include only UR 2A, 3T, 3S in their programs, just three/four ladies in the world are capable of 3Lz or 3F, and most of the pairs are not able to land a throw 3S... Our situation is similar to ice skating in the 80s: skaters have to train one/two/three hours per day the compulsories, so they can't dedicated themselves 100% to the FS, and only the very talented skaters can produce programs that are actually pleasant to watch...
    Interesting. I can see how frustrating it is that the sport has gotten ahead of most of its practitioners. Maybe the powers that be will take notice and de-emphasize figures sometime in the future. Or maybe the technology of roller skates will improve, and that will have an effect on skaters' skills.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by snsd View Post
    To put it nicely.....Roller Skating is definitely not my cup of tea!
    Nor mine. I think they are wasting their talent, skating on clunky rollers on ugly wood gym floors. Everything about ice skating is more beautiful, from the boots to the blades to the smooth white ice surface, to the overall look of the skater.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatel80 View Post
    Thanks for the vids FSGMT! they were really interesting to watch, I absolutely love the running camels (not sure if thats what they are called in roller skating), so impressive !!
    I have never seen any done as well as that on ice!
    I actually taugh two girls a few years ago who decided to switch from roller to ice, the jumps were easy for them to bring to the ice, spins were hard for them to get used two as I think they spin on a different part of the foot (heel?) but both of them had problems with skating skills as they were not used to using their edges, for one it was quite discouraging and she went back to roller, one kept working and now she skates as well as any of my students who have been on ice since they started (though she was younger when she switched) both had probelms with leg wraps though ( is this a roller thing?)
    of course nothing stopped this little girl from going from roller skating champ to olympic gold medalist 7 years later http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcYnDX0KL9E
    Man, Tara's performance is tremendously impressive. Look at her posture. I see what you mean about spinning on the heel; it certainly looks that way to me from her program. I can see how anyone who switches from roller to ice must feel as if he or she is flying in the jumps: the extra energy it takes to jump on heavier roller skates must be considerable.

Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    Nor mine. I think they are wasting their talent, skating on clunky rollers on ugly wood gym floors. Everything about ice skating is more beautiful, from the boots to the blades to the smooth white ice surface, to the overall look of the skater.
    The problem is that in most of the zones where these people live, there isn't ice skating at all! For example, if you want to find an ice rink in the area where I live, you have to drive 1 hour at least, when there are roller skating clubs almost in every town, so roller skating can be a good alternative in places where there isn't ice skating, such as "hot" countries (South American, South Europe, South-East Asia...)!
    Quote Originally Posted by skatel80 View Post
    Thanks for the vids FSGMT! they were really interesting to watch, I absolutely love the running camels (not sure if thats what they are called in roller skating), so impressive !!
    I have never seen any done as well as that on ice!
    I actually taugh two girls a few years ago who decided to switch from roller to ice, the jumps were easy for them to bring to the ice, spins were hard for them to get used two as I think they spin on a different part of the foot (heel?) but both of them had problems with skating skills as they were not used to using their edges, for one it was quite discouraging and she went back to roller, one kept working and now she skates as well as any of my students who have been on ice since they started (though she was younger when she switched) both had probelms with leg wraps though ( is this a roller thing?)
    of course nothing stopped this little girl from going from roller skating champ to olympic gold medalist 7 years later http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcYnDX0KL9E
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    Thank you for posting these! I've found the videos to be very interesting.

Especially, the pairs skater from Italy. Her name is Sara Venerucci (if youtube spelled it correctly).

She has the "it" factor by the truckload. Beautiful positions, especially in the lifts.

Are all spins in roller done with a running technique to get into the spin? The camel position where the skater is balancing on the rear wheels looks difficult.
    The running technique is the only way to do camel spins on roller, but we do both "normal" camel spins and heel camel spins, that are more difficult. But we also do sit spins and upright spins with the "ice technique"...

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Are Pic skates allowed in roller rinks, FSGMT?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    The problem is that in most of the zones where these people live, there isn't ice skating at all! For example, if you want to find an ice rink in the area where I live, you have to drive 1 hour at least, when there are roller skating clubs almost in every town, so roller skating can be a good alternative in places where there isn't ice skating, such as "hot" countries (South American, South Europe, South-East Asia...)!
    One of the first places that came to mind for me was Australia. It's not only hot there; it's dry. They don't have a lot of leftover water for recreational pursuits.

Add to that the fact that rinks with wooden floors are also far cheaper to maintain than ice rinks.

Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    I imagine the wear and tear on the body would be greater with roller figure skating considering the surface - much harder on the knees. But still great athletes nontheless.

Custom Title
    Do you know much about how roller figure skating is judged? What's considered important and what is, perhaps, less crucial than in ice skating?

Also...

Obviously the triple jumps seem to be more difficult to execute on rollers, and combinations need small jumps in between (to regain speed?). Can you elucidate what else in the videos linked is world-class difficulty, what's normal senior-level difficulty, and what's just basic?

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Do you know much about how roller figure skating is judged? What's considered important and what is, perhaps, less crucial than in ice skating?
    It's really similar to the 6.0 system... We could maybe say that spins are a bit more important, since they are a lot more difficult. And, judges don't care about telegraphing the jumps, because you have to do it!

There are several adult figure skaters who are former roller skaters. One of the things I notice is the odd use of edges on their blades (some have more issues than others where you look at it and know it's not quite right), spin security (they tend to have an easy time transferring this skill over once they figure out where the sweet spot is on their blades), and ability to really pop on their jumps.

http://www.artonice.it/?q=it/node/13769

Tatjana Flade ‏@Tatjana21 6h

2time World Roller Champ Dario Betti (ITA), announced his switch to figure skating

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2