Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Alissa Czisny Update!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Here is Jennifer's interview with Alissa. (She admits she never saw the movie "Gone with the Wind" before Marina Zoueva suggested the music. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ce_LC7-hb4
    Great interview. I really hope Alissa makes the Olympic team. She's certainly been through a lot over the years. It would be nice to see her finish her career on a high note.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    On what basis? There are only two skaters with any shot at all of medaling.
    So are you saying since the US has been trying for five years to get a third spot for Sochi/Worlds, we should still only send two, since the third spot, in your estimation, has no chance to medal? We have had about 7 skaters in the seasons best top 25 list the last few years, which means a lot of excellent skaters stay home, watching broadcasts of lesser skater compete.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post
    So are you saying since the US has been trying for five years to get a third spot for Sochi/Worlds, we should still only send two, since the third spot, in your estimation, has no chance to medal? We have had about 7 skaters in the seasons best top 25 list the last few years, which means a lot of excellent skaters stay home, watching broadcasts of lesser skater compete.
    No. I'm saying 3 is plenty. One spot will go to a non-contender; only South Korea will send more non-contenders.

She's planning to include a 3-3 again, and in the video she was practicing the salchow... Is she going back to her 2011-2012 plan? Please, Alissa, just be careful not to get injuried again, you can be a medal contender at nationals even with 6 triples! Good luck sweet girl!

Custom Title
    Does Alissa plan to compete in the Grand Prix? She can possibly get two assignments as a returning skater. Skate America is only 5 months away, which doesn't give her a lot of time to bring her skating up to competition level. If she doesn't do the GP, would she have to do Regionals and Sectionals?

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Does Alissa plan to compete in the Grand Prix? She can possibly get two assignments as a returning skater. Skate America is only 5 months away, which doesn't give her a lot of time to bring her skating up to competition level. If she doesn't do the GP, would she have to do Regionals and Sectionals?
    As far as I know, there's no news about the Grand Prix. I believe, however, that she can still skate in summer comps to earn an assignment or two. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

If she doesn't compete at any GP events, I think she'll have to go through the same qualification process as most other skaters. She qualified for this year's US Nationals based on her 2nd place finish in 2012, but since she didn't end up competing, she has no recent results that would allow her to get a bye for next year. The top five at 2013 Nationals (Wagner, Gold, Zawadzki, Hicks, Gao) will automatically receive a bye to 2014 Nationals.

ETA: Forgot that Alissa did have 2012 Worlds results that allowed her to get a GP last year.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    If she doesn't do the GP, would she have to do Regionals and Sectionals?
    For me, it would be a good idea for her to compete at Regionals and Sectionals. I don't know that finishing last at Skate America would do much for her confidence, or her reputation with international judges. At smaller competitions and senior Bs, she can focus on her skating without the distractions of media coverage.

Custom Title
    Great interview. Hope she does well and is satisfied. One thing I hate about the Olympic year is all the broken hearts. :-( I'm rooting for Alyssa.

Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    I can't help but wonder if her Biellman spins have contributed to her hip injuries.

She's a lovely skater, and she doesn't need to do those to emphasize the things about her skating that are excellent.

I suppose she, like every other female skater (and some males), feels she has to do them for the levels.
    I have wondered about that. too. I know Michelle Kwan tried to incorporate more difficulty into her spins, but had to back off when she hurt her back.

I think, though, that the real culprit is the constant pounding on triple jumps. especially the loop. Michelle had to abandon the loop altogether, and so did Yuna Kim, not to mention Tara Lipinsky's hip problems. In Alissa case I imagine it is even worse because her landings are not so perfect.
    Last edited by Mathman; 05-08-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Custom Title
    No. I'm saying 3 is plenty. One spot will go to a non-contender; only South Korea will send more non-contenders.
    No US ladies will be medal contenders in Sochi. None of the US ladies are competitive with the top three skaters in TES and PCS. Ashley is a mediocre skater, who is neither outstanding technically nor artistically. She's just consistent. She doesn't have the technical content to challenge the top ladies (well, she can challenge Asada if the technical caller doesn't overlook her underrotated jumps,) and her PCS is several points behind theirs as well. Gracie has the technical content to challenge the top ladies. But she doesn't often execute her planned elements well because of her competition nerves. And she is not even close to being competitive with the top skaters in PCS (nor should she be, considering her poorly-choreographed programs.)

Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    She's planning to include a 3-3 again, and in the video she was practicing the salchow... Is she going back to her 2011-2012 plan? Please, Alissa, just be careful not to get injuried again, you can be a medal contender at nationals even with 6 triples! Good luck sweet girl!
    I don't see Alissa ever executing a ratified 3-3 in competition. She just doesn't get the necessary height and flow out of her jumps. Her attempts at 3Lz-3T during the 2011-12 season weren't close to being rotated & they were all downgraded by technical callers.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    The 3Lz-3T attempts are likely what has caused the problems with her body. Since her blade is always landing short and then forcefully turning on the ice, it's grinding her hip.

She needs to stay away from even attempting it. She doesn't need it to make the Olympic team and another injury will ruin her chances.

Custom Title
    If you only want medal contenders, I guess you would ideally only have the big three skate at Sochi, all others need not apply, as they are not really contenders?

Custom Title
    I really was disappointed with her routine without jumps. Why well the routine really didn't look all that great though I liked the spins While i wish Alyssa well a lot o people have gone through hard things. I consider hard things more like when it is more of a fluke ie your mother dying or your house or roof falling on you. Injuries especially as a result of training issues wella ren't so sympathetic in some ways. Yes, there will be broken hearts. As for doom and gloom I do believe an American can make the podium but they will require some luck with Yuna and ?Carolina almost guaranteed a medal each this means the American lady - most likely Gold or Wagner needs to beat all three Japanese ladies and hope the Russians don't get it together assuming they hold off Korpi and Osmond and Rochette doesn't return in an decent shape.

If you only want medal contenders, I guess you would ideally only have the big three skate at Sochi, all others need not apply, as they are not really contenders?
    This. With A LOT of help, maybe 3 to 5 skaters (depending how you count) could sneak in for bronze if one of the top 3 (Most likely Mao) crashes burns and dies on the ice AND one of those 3 to 5 skaters is perfect (so unlikely I am having a hard time keeping a straight fact thinking about it). The only one of those 3-5 in my head that has a good shot of being clean is Wagner, and by good shot I mean perhaps 50-60%. And Wagner would I think need even more help than some of the others from one of the top 3 because her technical content is lacking.

Custom Title
    Relax. The comment someone made was that the US should have more than 3 spots, and I responded that 3 is plenty because we don't even have that many with a shot of medaling. So you're saying we should be able to send 10? Why do you think that?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast