Alissa Czisny Update! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Alissa Czisny Update!

ForeverFish

Medalist
Does Alissa plan to compete in the Grand Prix? She can possibly get two assignments as a returning skater. Skate America is only 5 months away, which doesn't give her a lot of time to bring her skating up to competition level. If she doesn't do the GP, would she have to do Regionals and Sectionals?

As far as I know, there's no news about the Grand Prix. I believe, however, that she can still skate in summer comps to earn an assignment or two. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

If she doesn't compete at any GP events, I think she'll have to go through the same qualification process as most other skaters. She qualified for this year's US Nationals based on her 2nd place finish in 2012, but since she didn't end up competing, she has no recent results that would allow her to get a bye for next year. The top five at 2013 Nationals (Wagner, Gold, Zawadzki, Hicks, Gao) will automatically receive a bye to 2014 Nationals.

ETA: Forgot that Alissa did have 2012 Worlds results that allowed her to get a GP last year.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
If she doesn't do the GP, would she have to do Regionals and Sectionals?

For me, it would be a good idea for her to compete at Regionals and Sectionals. I don't know that finishing last at Skate America would do much for her confidence, or her reputation with international judges. At smaller competitions and senior Bs, she can focus on her skating without the distractions of media coverage.

ucrgirl

On the Ice
Great interview. Hope she does well and is satisfied. One thing I hate about the Olympic year is all the broken hearts. :-( I'm rooting for Alyssa.

I can't help but wonder if her Biellman spins have contributed to her hip injuries.

She's a lovely skater, and she doesn't need to do those to emphasize the things about her skating that are excellent.

I suppose she, like every other female skater (and some males), feels she has to do them for the levels.

I have wondered about that. too. I know Michelle Kwan tried to incorporate more difficulty into her spins, but had to back off when she hurt her back.

I think, though, that the real culprit is the constant pounding on triple jumps. especially the loop. Michelle had to abandon the loop altogether, and so did Yuna Kim, not to mention Tara Lipinsky's hip problems. In Alissa case I imagine it is even worse because her landings are not so perfect.

Last edited:

Selene

On the Ice
No. I'm saying 3 is plenty. One spot will go to a non-contender; only South Korea will send more non-contenders.

No US ladies will be medal contenders in Sochi. None of the US ladies are competitive with the top three skaters in TES and PCS. Ashley is a mediocre skater, who is neither outstanding technically nor artistically. She's just consistent. She doesn't have the technical content to challenge the top ladies (well, she can challenge Asada if the technical caller doesn't overlook her underrotated jumps,) and her PCS is several points behind theirs as well. Gracie has the technical content to challenge the top ladies. But she doesn't often execute her planned elements well because of her competition nerves. And she is not even close to being competitive with the top skaters in PCS (nor should she be, considering her poorly-choreographed programs.)

She's planning to include a 3-3 again, and in the video she was practicing the salchow... Is she going back to her 2011-2012 plan? Please, Alissa, just be careful not to get injuried again, you can be a medal contender at nationals even with 6 triples! Good luck sweet girl! :love: :popcorn:

I don't see Alissa ever executing a ratified 3-3 in competition. She just doesn't get the necessary height and flow out of her jumps. Her attempts at 3Lz-3T during the 2011-12 season weren't close to being rotated & they were all downgraded by technical callers.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The 3Lz-3T attempts are likely what has caused the problems with her body. Since her blade is always landing short and then forcefully turning on the ice, it's grinding her hip.

She needs to stay away from even attempting it. She doesn't need it to make the Olympic team and another injury will ruin her chances.

b-man

Final Flight
No. I'm saying 3 is plenty. One spot will go to a non-contender; only South Korea will send more non-contenders.

If you only want medal contenders, I guess you would ideally only have the big three skate at Sochi, all others need not apply, as they are not really contenders?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I really was disappointed with her routine without jumps. Why well the routine really didn't look all that great though I liked the spins :) While i wish Alyssa well a lot o people have gone through hard things. I consider hard things more like when it is more of a fluke ie your mother dying or your house or roof falling on you. Injuries especially as a result of training issues wella ren't so sympathetic in some ways. Yes, there will be broken hearts. As for doom and gloom I do believe an American can make the podium but they will require some luck with Yuna and ?Carolina almost guaranteed a medal each this means the American lady - most likely Gold or Wagner needs to beat all three Japanese ladies and hope the Russians don't get it together assuming they hold off Korpi and Osmond and Rochette doesn't return in an decent shape.

tulosai

Record Breaker
If you only want medal contenders, I guess you would ideally only have the big three skate at Sochi, all others need not apply, as they are not really contenders?

This. With A LOT of help, maybe 3 to 5 skaters (depending how you count) could sneak in for bronze if one of the top 3 (Most likely Mao) crashes burns and dies on the ice AND one of those 3 to 5 skaters is perfect (so unlikely I am having a hard time keeping a straight fact thinking about it). The only one of those 3-5 in my head that has a good shot of being clean is Wagner, and by good shot I mean perhaps 50-60%. And Wagner would I think need even more help than some of the others from one of the top 3 because her technical content is lacking.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Relax. The comment someone made was that the US should have more than 3 spots, and I responded that 3 is plenty because we don't even have that many with a shot of medaling. So you're saying we should be able to send 10? Why do you think that?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Technically, since Alissa was 5th at 2011 Worlds, USFS could submit her as a "comeback skater" (she was out for the 2012-2013 season), which would entitle her to two GP events. Considering that Alissa wanted to be submitted for NHK 2012 after her surgery in June 2012, my guess is Alissa will want to do the GP this season. The question is her readiness for competition as early as mid-October. If she competes at SA and finishes mid-pack, that could damage her in the eyes of ISU judges, as well as USFS. She would have to medal in her second event to redeem herself with ISU and USFS.

Alissa would not have to establish a minimum score as a returning skater, but if it turns out she doesn't do the GP, USFS could send her to a couple of B events just to get her programs in front of ISU judges.

We will find out about the GP quite soon---on or about June 1.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Technically, since Alissa was 5th at 2011 Worlds, USFS could submit her as a "comeback skater" (she was out for the 2012-2013 season), which would entitle her to two GP events. Considering that Alissa wanted to be submitted for NHK 2012 after her surgery in June 2012, my guess is Alissa will want to do the GP this season. The question is her readiness for competition as early as mid-October. If she competes at SA and finishes mid-pack, that could damage her in the eyes of ISU judges, as well as USFS. She would have to medal in her second event to redeem herself with ISU and USFS.

Alissa would not have to establish a minimum score as a returning skater, but if it turns out she doesn't do the GP, USFS could send her to a couple of B events just to get her programs in front of ISU judges.

We will find out about the GP quite soon---on or about June 1.

It all depends on who competes at SA. If Ashley and Yuna/Caro/Mao are there, the absolute best Alissa can hope for is a bronze. If you add Christina Gao or Agnes Zawadzki to the mix, they also could realistically challenge for medals, but between a clean Christina/Agnes and a semi-clean Alissa, there's no question (for me) who wins. Alissa has the rep, the elegance, and the crowd's support for being the "comeback kid." Christina/Agnes, as of now, still lack that wow-factor.

As was mentioned earlier, Alissa at partial strength still has the chops to beat every US lady, excepting Ashley and Gracie. The Russian darlings, Zijun, or Kiira could also pose potential threats to a Czisny comeback, but on Alissa's home ice, they don't have much of a chance of knocking her off the podium.

ETA: Actually, a clean Julia Lipnitskaia would have a decent shot at challenging Alissa, who's unlikely to be clean at her first big international comp in 18 months. The girl has nerves of steel and the confidence to boot.

Excited for GP assignment news! :popcorn:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This. With A LOT of help, maybe 3 to 5 skaters (depending how you count) could sneak in for bronze if one of the top 3 (Most likely Mao) crashes burns and dies on the ice AND one of those 3 to 5 skaters is perfect (so unlikely I am having a hard time keeping a straight fact thinking about it). The only one of those 3-5 in my head that has a good shot of being clean is Wagner, and by good shot I mean perhaps 50-60%. And Wagner would I think need even more help than some of the others from one of the top 3 because her technical content is lacking.
ita

b-man

Final Flight
Relax. The comment someone made was that the US should have more than 3 spots, and I responded that 3 is plenty because we don't even have that many with a shot of medaling. So you're saying we should be able to send 10? Why do you think that?

Yes, I think the US, Russia and Japan should all have more than three spots for world's, not for the Olympics which has its own rules. As I said, the US has seven in the SB top 25, Russia has six, and I think Japan has four. The competition is supposed to be the world championships, not the world participation pageant. The US occasionally even has people in the SB top 10 who don't qualify for worlds, which makes me question in some years whether we are really watching a world championships when that many top skaters don't qualify. I would like to see the country limit increased up to 5, so we could possibly see a world's with Wagner, Gold, Gao, Nagasu, Zawadski vs. Adelina, Liza, Julia, Leonova, and in another year Radionova, vs Asada, Murakami, Suzuki, Ando and Imai. World's in London this year was great, but with a few extra entries, it could have been even better.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yes, I think the US, Russia and Japan should all have more than three spots for world's, not for the Olympics which has its own rules. As I said, the US has seven in the SB top 25, Russia has six, and I think Japan has four. The competition is supposed to be the world championships, not the world participation pageant. The US occasionally even has people in the SB top 10 who don't qualify for worlds, which makes me question in some years whether we are really watching a world championships when that many top skaters don't qualify. I would like to see the country limit increased up to 5, so we could possibly see a world's with Wagner, Gold, Gao, Nagasu, Zawadski vs. Adelina, Liza, Julia, Leonova, and in another year Radionova, vs Asada, Murakami, Suzuki, Ando and Imai. World's in London this year was great, but with a few extra entries, it could have been even better.

If you had more than 3 skaters from the top countries, the field of skaters would end up being 40-50 skaters. And it wouldn't be a "world" championship if you started excluding skaters from lower ranked countries (who need minimum scores to compete anyways), in favour of 5 Japanese skaters or 5 Americans. Obviously the 5th or 6th ranked ladies skater in Japan will have a higher season's best than someone from Latvia or Lithuania, but if you go by season's bests you would be severely disadvantaging lower ranked countries.

And frankly how is it a world championships if it ends up being Team USA vs. Russia vs. Japan?

b-man

Final Flight
If you had more than 3 skaters from the top countries, the field of skaters would end up being 40-50 skaters. And it wouldn't be a "world" championship if you started excluding skaters from lower ranked countries (who need minimum scores to compete anyways), in favour of 5 Japanese skaters or 5 Americans. Obviously the 5th or 6th ranked ladies skater in Japan will have a higher season's best than someone from Latvia or Lithuania, but if you go by season's bests you would be severely disadvantaging lower ranked countries.

And frankly how is it a world championships if it ends up being Team USA vs. Russia vs. Japan?

This year world's had 35 in the short program, adding 3 extra for US and 2 for Russia and Japan would bring it up to 42. I said nothing about excluding skaters from the rest of the world, as I would not favor that. I don't think this would result in a USA vs Russia VS Japan competition. Kim, Kostner, Li, Osmond, Meite, Korpi, Helgesson, Marchei and others provide plenty of competition that are not in the big 3 countries. Fifteen out of 42 would not be a competition exclusive to the big three countries, and in some years the big 3 will not have 5 age eligible skaters in the SB top 25, and should not have 5 entries under those circustances. As an example, this year we had an entry at World's named Clescic, 94th on the SB list with a 117 score. Before someone puts words in my mouth, no I am not in favor of excluding Clescic. But a world's that has room for Clescic should have room for skaters such as Nagasu and Gao who are 15th and 16th on the SB list with 176 scores. Next year, Russia will be facing the same travesty the US has been facing for years, as one of Adelina, Liza, or Julia, 5th, 8th and 12th on the SB list, will sit home. That is not the kind of World's I want, I want to see the best.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The ISU is looking to restrict the number of skaters at Worlds, not increase it. There is no way certain countries will be allowed 5 skaters while other skaters from smaller countries won't ever get to compete at Worlds again.

We've already seen how the US, Japanese and Russian skaters did at 2013 Worlds. US skaters finished 5th and 6th; Japanese skaters were 3rd, 4th and 12th; Russian skaters were 9th, 10th and 13th. I see no rationale for these countries to get two more skaters, who would likely finish lower than these placements.

You can't base ANYTHING on SB scores, because the SB score represents the BEST single performance at a GP, JPG or ISU Championship. Other performances from any of these ladies could have been way below the SB. The competition at GP and JGP events is far less stiff than at Worlds, so nerves aren't as big a problem. Both Euros and 4CC tend to have inflated scoring. The high scores at JGP and JW may be a lot lower for the junior ladies when they move up to the GP and Senior Worlds. So these SB scores are not exactly comparable. It's how the ladies do head-to-head at Worlds that shows their real competitive rank. For example, Sotnikova scored 193.99 at Euros but only 175.98 at Worlds and Tuktamysheva scored 188.85 at Euros but only 174.24 at Worlds; Kaetlyn Osmond beat Murakami and Gold at Skate Canada, but both beat her at 4CC and Worlds.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
This year world's had 35 in the short program, adding 3 extra for US and 2 for Russia and Japan would bring it up to 42. I said nothing about excluding skaters from the rest of the world, as I would not favor that. I don't think this would result in a USA vs Russia VS Japan competition. Kim, Kostner, Li, Osmond, Meite, Korpi, Helgesson, Marchei and others provide plenty of competition that are not in the big 3 countries. Fifteen out of 42 would not be a competition exclusive to the big three countries, and in some years the big 3 will not have 5 age eligible skaters in the SB top 25, and should not have 5 entries under those circustances. As an example, this year we had an entry at World's named Clescic, 94th on the SB list with a 117 score. Before someone puts words in my mouth, no I am not in favor of excluding Clescic. But a world's that has room for Clescic should have room for skaters such as Nagasu and Gao who are 15th and 16th on the SB list with 176 scores. Next year, Russia will be facing the same travesty the US has been facing for years, as one of Adelina, Liza, or Julia, 5th, 8th and 12th on the SB list, will sit home. That is not the kind of World's I want, I want to see the best.

I can't speak for the other countries, but for the last several years the US ladies have generally bombed outside those who have made the team. Frankly, the contenders who haven't made the world team have given the spot away, aside from perhaps Christina. Yes, Mirai is probably better than the skater from Latvia, but if she finishes outside the top 5 at Nationals, what is the logic in sending her? Because she had one decent competition earlier in the season?

As far as seeing the best, you are. The last US qualifier finished 6th (and Ashley and Gracie were miles better than anyone in the US), the last Japanese qualifier finished 12th, and the last Russian qualifier finished 13th. Where do you think a skater who stayed home would have factored in here?