Jessica Dubé and Bryce Davison's "The Blower's Daughter" by Damien Rice‏ | Golden Skate

Jessica Dubé and Bryce Davison's "The Blower's Daughter" by Damien Rice‏

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Jessica Dubé and Bryce Davison's "The Blower's Daughter" by Damien Rice‏

Hi everyone!

I'm new and looking forward to discuss future events with you soon :)
But for now, it's the past I want to ask you something about...

Do you guys remember Dubé/Davison's wonderful moment in 2008? They won the bronze medal at the worlds with their program to "The Blower's Daughter" by Damien Rice. If you never saw it, you have to watch this...

search for this on youtube: 2008 W Dube Davison LP Brit Eurosport

Ever since, I've been on a desperate hunt for the exact version of Blower's Daughter they used for this program, but to no avail.

Since their fansite doesn't seem to exist anymore, I don't know who to ask... Do you know, or have any advice as to who I could ask for this info? I'd love to be able to listen to this beautiful instrumental version of Blower's Daughter on a regular basis!

Any help would be most welcome!

Thanks!

Icey

Record Breaker
I had to google to find out what "blower" meant in the title. lmao

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
I had to google to find out what "blower" meant in the title. lmao

Here's the true meaning for the song and the title:

"The thing with the clarinet teacher is a common misconception about this song. It's been said so often that it's almost become a self-fulfilling truth. Can't remember where it was first mentioned but it's been picked up and gained momentum. Anyway, it's not true.

The Blower in question wasn't a clarinet teacher, but the cockney rhyming slang for the telephone (Stick with me, I know it sounds ambiguous!). Before he was in Juniper Damien worked at a call centre selling mortgages and loans, and spent all day on the telephone. He grew sick of speaking to people for 8 hours a day without seeing anyone's face, and he began to fantasize about the people behind the many voices he heard. One summer day he phoned a house and a girl with a melodic soft, sweet voice answered the phone. He was calling for her father, but he wasn't in. Protocol said he should have ended the call and phoned back another time, but he was mesmerized and enchanted by her voice and ended up chatting to her for over an hour. Damien began a secret relationship of sorts with the girl, always calling when he knew her father wouldn't be home just so they could talk, despite knowing that it could get him sacked. He dreamed of her at night, daydreamed about her all day long.

This continued for over a month, but one day he called and there was no answer. For the next week he called again numerous times a day, but still nobody picked up the phone. Confused by this abrupt end to the relationship, Damien became angry and obsessive (you were right about the obsessive bit) and found out the address of the girl. He took a day off work and got the bus out to the address.

Hidden in a hedge he watched the front door fervently for any signs of life, but he didn't expect what he finally saw. The voice was unmistakably the same, and as she shouted 'bye mum', closing the front door behind her Damien was amazed to see that this dreamgirl of his was wearing a school uniform. He couldn't believe his eyes and could not stop staring at her in shock. All the pieces of the puzzle finally fell into place - she was at home during the school holidays, led him on and played games, then when school started back she just stopped. Damien was angry but obviously couldn't tell anybody about it for fear of being branded... well, a perv. He left the company and formed Juniper shortly after.

Thanks everyone for your welcome!

If someone has any idea on how I can find out the exact version of "Blower's Daughter" they used, like "played by..." or a link, I'd be really thankful!

Maybe someone here knows someone who knows how to get in touch with Jessica, Bryce or their coach? ;)

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I never knew the real meaning of the song. I don't blame him for not telling anyone he was actually talking to a high school girl. I feel bad he got led on though. :(

evangeline

Record Breaker
It's possible that the particular version of The Blower's Daughter used in the program was specially arranged for Dube/Davison, hence the difficulty in finding a copy of the piece.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
It's possible that the particular version of The Blower's Daughter used in the program was specially arranged for Dube/Davison, hence the difficulty in finding a copy of the piece.

Hugo Chouinard, who has done the arrangement for most of the Canadian team, created this arrangement specifically for them. I asked Hugo once how I can acquire that. He said I'd have to ask both Jessica and Bryce, then pay him. Jessica and Bryce paid a pretty big sum for that arrangement.