Paul/Islam interview with Pj Kwong (May 5 video and blog) | Golden Skate

Paul/Islam interview with Pj Kwong (May 5 video and blog)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Paul/Islam interview with Pj Kwong (May 5 video and blog)

Kwong's blog post:
Catching Up With…Alexandra Paul and Mitch Islam
http://pjkwong.com/?p=1407

The 4:00 video interview is embedded there.
Alexandra Paul and Mitch Islam - Bacsktage at COS show
Published on May 5, 2013
"Pj got the chance to catch up with ice dancers Alexandra Paul and Mitchell Islam backstage at the COS Margaret Garrison memorial show. They spole about reovering from the disappointments of last season and setting their sights on the Olympics in Sochi."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3qdgfexzMKU

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lots of luck getting a Sochi berth. They are 4th in line behind V/M, W/P and G/P and they didn't help their case by yet another unfortunate mistake at Nationals, losing the bronze medal to Orford/Williams. Their only hope for a GP slot is a host pick, because they aren't on the Seasons Best list (they didn't get a GP or an ISU Championship slot last season) and they are #42 on the World Ranking list.

At least they have a shot at 4CC, as Canada traditionally doesn't send Olympic-bound skaters to that event.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think that Paul/Islam are well aware that they have an uphill climb to qualifying for Sochi. I admire them for giving it their best shot.

And never say never. I am absolutely not wishing misfortune on any other couple, but the season has not even started yet and the reality for everyone is that no skater has guaranteed immunity to injury.

Meanwhile, does Gilles have her Canadian citizenship papers in hand yet? I know that based on family ties to Canada (through her grandmother?), she was not anticipating any obstacles, but is her citizenship a done deal?

I would add that Max Aaron had no GP assignments this past season, but won U.S. Nationals. The point is that stranger things have happened than Paul/Islam qualifying for Sochi when January rolls around. :yes:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Max Aaron had no GP assignments this past season, but won U.S. Nationals.

The US sent him to two B events and he medaled in both (gold and silver). Paul/Islam were sent to two Bs (unusual for Canada) and won silver in the first but were fifth in the second. That is the level of inconsistency that gives Skate Canada pause.

The point is that stranger things have happened than Paul/Islam qualifying for Sochi when January rolls around.

P/I need to skate well at every summer competition to convince Skate Canada they have left their bad luck behind them. They especially need to do well at the Lake Placid event to be considered for a host pick, and they need SC to get a positive response from ISU judges. Last season at Lake Placid, they finished 17 points behind Orford/Williams; they can't allow that to happen again.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
I think the first 2 spots are rock solid, barring any weird or catastrophic injuries. I think the 3rd spot is wide open. Let's review:

- G/P did not help themselves by finishing 18th in the World. Just because they have been overly gifted with high marks in Canada doesn't mean the rest of the world will buy what they're selling right now. There is only so much pep and pizzazz and hype that will be tolerated before everyone starts asking "where's the beef?!" If they want to be taken seriously on the world stage, they have to work very hard at coming together as a team with some matching lines, edges, and real quality between the cool tricks.

- P/I have beautiful chemistry, skating skills, edges, smoothness, matching lines, and so on. They also are training in a great rink to allow them to keep pushing themselves and getting stronger mentally. I think Detroit did wonders for W/P and their inconsistency issues. But P/I are going to have to bring it this season. They can do it. And they just might get the nod as the 3rd team. I predict we will see Skate Canada giving them some more head-to-head matchups in Senior B's with G/P in the upcoming season.

- Then there's O/W. They had a Cinderella season last year, and I think will not finish on the podium at Nationals again. The SD was perfectly suited to Williams, and allowed them to really put in a great effort. I don't think they are as strong as P/I in any way, but, as we found out at Nationals, the ice is slippery. It's about who brings it on the day of competition.

- Then we should also not write off R/H, who could be in the running if they have some decent material this year, and get the time and attention they deserve in order to be competitive.

There are a couple of teams from Quebec. I liked P/O at the beginning of the season, but they didn't thrill me at Nationals. It was messy. But they have some great raw talent. I loved the clean lines and crisp feet and interesting choreography of P/S. If they are focused, work hard, and deal with their inconsistencies, they have a chance at top 5, perhaps.

And then there are the new ones to Senior: E/P, our Junior Champions, are way better than O/W in my opinion. There is a ton of talent in those 2, and they just might not out-grow each other. They have had a number of years together, and they are getting better every year. Their SD this year was a favourite of mine. And an honourable mention for a strong start at Senior is C/B from Quebec. I love their classical lines and sensibilities. They've really grown these last 2 seasons.

Folks, that's already 10 teams. It's going to be a great upcoming season!!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think the first 2 spots are rock solid, barring any weird or catastrophic injuries. I think the 3rd spot is wide open. Let's review:

.... It's about who brings it on the day of competition.

.... Folks, that's already 10 teams. It's going to be a great upcoming season!!

Thanks for your thorough review, Northern. :) I look forward to your commentary when the season is in progress.

P/I need to skate well at every summer competition to convince Skate Canada they have left their bad luck behind them.

Another reason that I think it is too early to give up on Paul/Islam:
Last May, was anyone predicting that Orford/Williams would win the bronze at Canadian Nationals?
Yes, they were helped by Weaver's injury and P/I's disappointing performance, which could not have been foreseen. But again, that is the point: surprises can happen and change the landscape.

Also, Paul/Islam are overdue for some good luck. ;) Wishing them and all the other teams the best.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Even if P/I don't get to go to Sochi (4th at Nats), they may get to go to Worlds 2014 if V/M do retire as planned after Sochi. They will be only 25 and 27 in 2018, so they may still have their Olympic experience.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I agree that the 3rd spot is wide open. Virtue & Moir and Weaver & Poje are mortal locks for the first 2 spots but Gilles & Poirier are no lock for the 3rd spot especialy after a terrible Worlds result. I am sure all the teams in Canada concede the first 2 spots to V&M and W&P but every other team has their sights squarely set on knocking off G&P for the 3rd spot and it could very well happen, whether that is P&I or another contending team.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
(1) Cross-posting from the Programs thread:

Paul/Islam: SD "Crazy for You"; FD "W.E." soundtrack (per their FB page)
Alexandra Paul & Mitchell Islam
We're extremely excited to announce our music choices for the upcoming season!!
Our SD will be skated to pieces from the musical "Crazy for You," involving a foxtrot and quickstep. Our FD selection comes from the "W.E." soundtrack!! Enjoy
https://www.facebook.com/AlexandraPa...78397365603870

(2) Re: Canada's third dance spot for Sochi

Poirier's unfortunate injury obviously raises the question as to how it will affect Gilles/Poirier's Olympic season.

Will be interesting to see whether P/I, G/P, and Chock/Bates all return to the Senior B in Salt Lake City in August.
Last year, the top four were:

FPl.
TEAM
COUNTRY
SD
FD
TOTAL
1​
Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier​
CAN​
55.98​
90.92​
146.90​
2​
Alexandra Paul & Mitchell Islam​
CAN​
55.86​
87.90​
143.76​
3​
Lynn Kriengkrairut & Logan Giulietti-Schmitt​
USA​
56.49​
84.37​
140.86​
4​
Madison Chock & Evan Bates​
USA​
62.89​
76.95​
139.84​

Very possible that the placements this year could be quite different.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I really am getting the feeling it will be Paul & Islam going to the Games with the mortal locks Virtue & Moir and Weaver & Poje (barring a major injury, and as the last 2 years prove either team would probably even fight through that to compete in Sochi). I really have a feeling of them overtaking Piper & Poirier this season and it isnt just sentiment.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's been reported that Poirier broke his ankle and had surgery. I'm not sure of the status of his injury right now, or when he will return to the ice. That injury could definitely hurt G/P's chance of making it to Sochi.