Time to speculate: Russia in a tight squeeze! | Golden Skate

Time to speculate: Russia in a tight squeeze!

GF2445

Record Breaker
To the horror of Russian skating, there is only room for one male skater to represent Russia in sochi.

My questions are:
Who do you think will make it to Sochi?
Who do you want to go to Sochi?
Which will prevail next year: youth (gachinski, kovtun etc.) or experience (plushenko, menshov etc.)
Are you a plushenko or menshov fan?

GO!!!

gmyers

Record Breaker
I just have to assume that even though his wins in 2012 and 2013 weren't exactly extreme blowouts plushenko would win over everyone like he has been. Though maybe the Russian federation will just pick kovtun because they love him so much and unlike plushenko anyone else like gachinski or kovtun could be relied on more than plushenko to do both team and individual! No i am sure that no matter what happens if plushenko wins Russian nationals or loses and beats them at euros plushenko is going to the Olympics again. If there is no plushenko kovtun vs gachinski I bet they go with kovtun unless gachinski is really really impressive.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I wish Menshov could go, but I don't think they'll pick him, especially after he popped his shoulder out at WTT. I think it'll be Plushenko if he is even remotely healthy. If not, maybe Kovtun or Gachinski but Voronov is in the running too.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I somehow want Plushenko, Menshov and Gachinski to all go.

Bugger. This is gonna be a long season.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I wish Menshov could go, but I don't think they'll pick him, especially after he popped his shoulder out at WTT. I think it'll be Plushenko if he is even remotely healthy. If not, maybe Kovtun or Gachinski but Voronov is in the running too.

Voronov did very impressively in 2013 nationals but maybe they wont send him out anymore. He could be in the menshov position.

venlac

On the Ice
about russian men's feild...
Unfortunately, menshov seems to be unable to go to the olympics.. because of his injury

then, i think one of kovtun or plushenko will make it.. if only kovtun and plushenko left.. i would hope plushenko can go to the olympics.
kovtun has many chances to have competive, but to him, sochi olympic will be last competition which held in his country.. i hope he can go to the olympic to good end as a competitior

And answer for the last question.
Are you a plushenko or menshov fan? no

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Plushenko can skate, he'll go.

I don't see any of the other contenders having a breakout season to the extent that they can overcome the starpower.

Could one of the others skate in the Team Event if Plushy decides not to? Meaning... do the rules allow that?

gmyers

Record Breaker
If Plushenko can skate, he'll go.

I don't see any of the other contenders having a breakout season to the extent that they can overcome the starpower.

Could one of the others skate in the Team Event if Plushy decides not to? Meaning... do the rules allow that?

No the rules only allow if a country qualifies for team but not one of the disciplines they can send a member of that discipline to compete in the team. Russia has to deal with sending plushenko for both team and individual. If Russia can not get a guarantee from plushenko to compete in team and men's and not skip Team that's an issue.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I also don't think there is any question Plushenko will go if he is healthy. His participation will increase viewership substantially in Russia, and the federation will end up embarrassed if they send someone else and that skater finishes outside the top 10.

I don't think Evgeny would mind participating in both events. He has a great chance at a medal in the team event, and a good chance in the individual event.

vera01

Final Flight
To answer your questions:

1.Who do you think will make it to Sochi? Plushenko if he can land most of his jumps by Russian Nationals.
2.Who do you want to go to Sochi? Skater that is most likely to be inside top 10 at Sochi.
3.Which will prevail next year: youth (gachinski, kovtun etc.) or experience (plushenko, menshov etc.) Experience(Plushenko/Menshov)-I find consistency/PCS to be important, and older skaters are better in that category.
4.Are you a plushenko or menshov fan? No.

deedee1

Record Breaker
-Who do you think will make it to Sochi? -> Plushenko if healthy enough. No doubt. :cool: If not, probably Kovtun. :sarcasm:

-Who do you want to go to Sochi? -> Plushenko if only his body can bear it. If not, then Menshov, PLEASE. :rock:

-Which will prevail next year: youth (gachinski, kovtun etc.) or experience (plushenko, menshov etc.) -> idk. Has been always out of my reach/common sense/speculation/imagination so far, as far as RF (to me) is concerned...:rolleye:

-Are you a plushenko or menshov fan? -> Oh, my heart is torn on this one...cause I happen to root for them. Though their skating style was not my best cup of tea in the past, I've come to cheer for them both for many reasons lately, thanks to a couple of bashers on this forum. :biggrin:

I hope Plushenko is ready to go. I especially want to see him in the team competition. That is what I look forward to the most, for this reason:

I think there is a big, big, big, big differentce between the world championship and the Olympic Games. You go to Worlds to show that you are the best skater in the world, or the second best, or the top ten. You go to the Olympics to represent your country. :rock:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I've painstakingly sifted through it all and come up with a list in order of who I'd like to see at Sochi:

1. Plushenko
2. Menshov
3. Gachinski (and the only reason he's below Menshov is that at 19/20, he's young enough to aim for 2018)
4. Voronov
5. Kovtun

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Unfortunately, menshov seems to be unable to go to the olympics.. because of his injury

? It was only a dislocated shoulder. He didn't even break anything. He's probably already back in training.

phaeljones

On the Ice
I hope Plushenko is ready to go. I especially want to see him in the team competition. That is what I look forward to the most, for this reason:

I think there is a big, big, big, big differentce between the world championship and the Olympic Games. You go to Worlds to show that you are the best skater in the world, or the second best, or the top ten. You go to the Olympics to represent your country. :rock:

Russia finds itself forced to make a "hail Mary" (a play borned out of desperation with only a small chance of success). That makes Plushenko the likely choice. Win or lose, Plushenko has the power to be awesome. He doesn't seem to ever disappoint.

Too bad Kazakhstan separated. :sarcasm:

Moment

Final Flight
Plushenko if he's able to skate

Don't care for anyone tobehonest.

Which will prevail next year: youth (gachinski, kovtun etc.) or experience (plushenko, menshov etc.)
Experience is my (closer) bet, well, I don't see any of them "prevail."

Nope.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Wee! One more Plu thread! :yay:

Where is CSG? I want to hear that Menshov, Gachinski, Kovtun, Voronov, etc. are all better than Plu. :popcorn:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

I think Plushenko will make it to Sochi if he's healthy. Even if he's outskated technically (like this past nationals), his PCS will keep him on the Russian nationals podium, if not easily win. I don't think he needs to win Russian nationals to go to Sochi. Even if Menshov/Voronov/Gachinski/Kovtun win Russian nationals, I feel there will still be discussion about sending Plushenko (maybe even a second chance skate-off). Which makes sense since his presence at the games would make the men's a marquee event more than it already is.

As far as who do I want to go, I would most love to see Plushenko go, because that will make the competition much more interesting and be one of the great stories of the Games. However it is his 4th Olympics and the other guys haven't had that chance, so I would hope that he wins Russian Nationals and earns his berth. In terms of a good showing, I would want Plushenko or Kovtun to go as they have the best potential to place high.

I think experience will prevail next year. Plushenko is utterly determined and I think that will trump the hot-and-cold consistency of Kovtun and Gachinski. Poor Menshov has been dumped by his federation and even if he wins Russian Nationals (which he has before, of course) I doubt that means he's going for sure.

As far as fans go, I'm a Plushenko fan more than a Menshov fan. Plushenko's skating is more exciting to watch and he has much better presence and artistry on the ice. I actually enjoy Kovtun's programs the most, but I would care to watch Plushenko skating at the Olympics more than any of the Russian men.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I think Plushenko will make it to Sochi if he's healthy. Even if he's outskated technically (like this past nationals), his PCS will keep him on the Russian nationals podium, if not easily win. I don't think he needs to win Russian nationals to go to Sochi. Even if Menshov/Voronov/Gachinski/Kovtun win Russian nationals, I feel there will still be discussion about sending Plushenko (maybe even a second chance skate-off).
:rofl: :clap:

Took the bait. But the rant is quite average. Summary:

1. Plu is not healthy and won't be healthy.
2. He won't win RN technically because it happened last year and all CSG's predictions are based on facts from recent comeptitons. Chan is the exception.
3. His PCS will be overscored.
4. He won't win RN and he doesn't need to win because:
5. He will got to Sochi anyway since Putin is his fan and no one wants to mess up with the ex-KGB dude.
6. RusFed is always corrupted.

Yawn. You have to make it better than this. :popcorn:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Who do you think will make it to Sochi? Plushenko, if he is healthy. Even in that case I don´t think that he is able to handle both events and might withdraw after the team event or at least after the men´s sp.

Who do you want to go to Sochi? Not intrested in any of the current Russian male singles skaters.

Which will prevail next year: youth (gachinski, kovtun etc.) or experience (plushenko, menshov etc.) Experience = Plushenko

Are you a plushenko or menshov fan? No