Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Prince Harry

Custom Title

Prince Harry

This guy is getting easier to like by the day. At first he seemed like the screw-up in the family, getting into the kinds of scrapes that would land a guy from the projects into a lot of trouble. But he's really pulling his weight these days. Here's a guy who has actually served in combat, twice. Along with that, he seems to have his mother's gift of paying complete attention to whomever he's talking to, whether children, wounded warriors, or Missy Franklin the swimmer. He puts people at their ease. They showed some raw footage of him with Missy, and some more of him coming into a gym (presumably in Colorado at the Wounded Warrior Games), greeting everyone, and hitting the floor for a seated volleyball game.

I love William and think that he's the right brother to be the heir to the throne, but Harry is doing a great job as a goodwill ambassador (and defender of his country). One of my favorite pictures: Harry with John McCain, another brave guy who can surprise you when your attention is drifting off. May they live long and prosper.

Custom Title
    As goodwill ambassador the trip is good and he is a veteran who can support troops and represent Britain as prince but I was initially totally turned off by some coverage which was totally about "hot guy comes to America!!" so who cares about that angle!!

Custom Title
    The coverage I've seen today has been a lot more respectful and sensible, thank goodness.

(I got a chuckle over "hot guy comes to America." (Hey, reporters, we have our own hot guys.)

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    I think Missy Franklin is terrific, but I had been wondering whether any skaters in Colorado crossed paths with the prince.
    .... And voila!

@AlexeGilles
    Definitely saw Prince Harry today in person!!! Woooo!  pic.twitter.com/57g71X8D4V
    7:37 PM - 12 May 13
    https://twitter.com/AlexeGilles/stat...73086283407360

Custom Title
    Hooray for skaters! Glad one of our folk made it into the Prince's presence.

I'm sure I'd be giddy if I met him, and I wouldn't be giddy if I encountered, say, Justin Bieber.

Short list of other people who would take my senses away if I met any of them: Kurt Browning (of course), Michael Caine, Michelle Kwan, Daisuke (I think I'd just feel protective about Mao or YuNa, but who knows?), Michael J. Fox, Paul McCartney, Mohammed Yunus, Nelson Mandela. Yunus is the Bangladeshi banker who is the father of microfinancing; he's a Nobel Peace Prize winner, and I've seen him speak on C-Span. To listen to him is to know that you have the privilege of hope no matter how tough the situation looks, and we all need that. They say that in Nelson Mandela's healthy days, a lot of people who met him would spontaneously burst into tears. I'm sure I would even now, and I'd also cry if I met Yunus. People who don't give up are usually my favorite heroes. That goes for Michael J. Fox as well.

Custom Title
    I just got back from London yesterday. When I was there watching his visit on the telly, BBC actually said Prince Harry was at the US parliament house. I thought it was really funny.

Also, Prince William got a lot of flack from common folks in London for marrying Kate Middleclass. Their words, not mine.

For some reason, America likes British royalties more than they do.

Custom Title
    Prince William got flack for marrying a woman he's loved and trusted for ten years? There's no pleasing some folk, is there.

I know a lot of Brits look down on Americans for enjoying British royalty, but I rest easy in the knowledge that they wouldn't think any higher of me if I stopped enjoying all the princes and whatnot. They'd still think I was some kind of savage for some other reason. I mispronounce tomato and hold my fork incorrectly.

everyday heroes abound, Olympia. Harry and Wills grew up all over the world and they should be impressive. Diana has great shoes to fill. Heres hoping Kate is not just a timid clotheshorse. Charles and Camilla are a joke. I far prefer kate middleclass to horsey Camilla who had zero morals, though she does love him...but then so did his first wife.

It takes 2 people to make a marriage and Charles and Di were too different to make things work out. However, they both had a hand in the men that Harry and Wills have become.

Neither Charles nor Di were perfect in their marriage. I do believe they thought they loved each other at the beginning. I do think that part of the reason Charles married her was because it was time for him to marry. I think Di had more of a fairy tale image of her role and that royal duties kept them apart too often. Andrew and Fergie clearly love and continue to care for each other, and still couldn't make things work for them.

Kate gets the benefits of all of their collective experiences.

Anyway, my point is that Harry and William are happy for their father and his relationship with Camilla. By all reports, he didn't push Camilla on the boys right after Diana died and didn't marry her without discussing it with them. Diana wasn't perfect either. So, I don't get why others put them down.

Custom Title
    I agree, Heyang. I think Charles ended up being the kind of parent Diana would have wanted for the kids. He really came through for them both. For example, I'm sure he stood up to his parents about certain issues of schooling and participation in family duties. One of the sweetest moments in the lead-up to the wedding last year was William talking affectionately about "Carole and Mike," meaning Kate's parents. William obviously had spent a lot of time hanging out with that family, enjoying an easygoing kind of life that Charles never had the chance to take part in, and William had that chance because he wasn't overly constricted by royal protocol. Clearly Charles loves his sons, and I've heard that he gets along very well with his new daughter-in-law.

I always thought that Diana was wronged by the way her marriage took place, because as you say, Charles married partly out of duty. To be delicate about it, they needed a woman with "a history but no past," so they picked a teenager. But Diana was also not an easy person, and she seems to have come with her own baggage. Clearly she was what is called high maintenance, and I don't think anyone in the royal family seems to be emotionally demonstrative enough to have filled her needs. From the outside, it looks as if the situation would have been so easy to fix! Beautiful, charming, charismatic woman, man who needed his own cheering section in a family where everyone else lived by obligation. They could have been each other's best support system, but they just couldn't make the leap across their boundaries. But they each in their way set their kids free.

I read all the books. It is clear Di loved Charles til she died. If Camilla had stayed away, and also Lady Kanga, Diana would have had a chance at his heart. Amazing woman who came very far, very fast. RIP.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I always thought that Diana was wronged by the way her marriage took place, because as you say, Charles married partly out of duty. To be delicate about it, they needed a woman with "a history but no past," so they picked a teenager. But Diana was also not an easy person, and she seems to have come with her own baggage. Clearly she was what is called high maintenance, and I don't think anyone in the royal family seems to be emotionally demonstrative enough to have filled her needs. From the outside, it looks as if the situation would have been so easy to fix! Beautiful, charming, charismatic woman, man who needed his own cheering section in a family where everyone else lived by obligation. They could have been each other's best support system, but they just couldn't make the leap across their boundaries. But they each in their way set their kids free.
    I think they were incompatible at their cores, though. They simply never shared interests or preferences. And she was so very young. It is easy to forget (especially for those of us who were children when they married) that Diana was only 19 years old when they were engaged and married. Who here could have grasped that decision and the life she was signing up for at 19? I really don't think she did at all. And, unlike Kate, she did not have the luxury of being eased into it. It was full steam ahead the moment they were home from the honeymoon.

In the end, Camilla is a better match for Charles in temperament, life experience, interests, preferences...the whole of what makes a marriage compatible. And it seems wrong to begrudge him or anyone that.

Custom Title
    I remember that everyone was fussing about her age, and she rather huffily said that she wouldn't be a teenager for the actual wedding. (I think she turned 20 before the day itself.) And she was pregnant almost immediately, which couldn't have helped with the transition from ordinary person to denizen of goldfish bowl. She wasn't prepared for the Windsors, and in their defense, they had no way of being prepared for her.

Diana's biggest asset was in some ways also her biggest liability: right from the get-go, she was one of the most charismatic people in the Northern Hemisphere. People couldn't take their eyes off her. So she never really knew privacy again. That couldn't have made for an easy life.

I remember the first time I saw her photo. She was so unusual, from her short hair to that little feline smile to her height to her fresh-scrubbed look. She sure didn't look like any of the overbred porcelain aristocrats we'd seen in photos of English nobility up to then. Years later someone said to me that Diana was "just an invention of the mass media." My first and forever reaction: they should be so lucky. She was natural-born lightning in a bottle, and the evidence of that is there's never been another one. Certainly Kate isn't. She is fresh and wonderful and clearly the ideal mate for William: sensible, understanding, loyal, poised, upbeat. But if she weren't standing next to him, she wouldn't stand out beyond the perception that she's probably a really nice person. In every photo I've seen of her, she has almost exactly the same expression. Diana was no prettier than Kate in absolute aesthetic terms, but she was about a hundred times more glamorous, seemingly without effort. She was a human magnet. That can't have been any easier for her than it was for the people around her. Surely Charles felt a bit overshadowed. Surely Diana felt a bit overwhelmed. It's terrible that she didn't get a chance to mature. She was so vital that it's as if she's still around in the world somewhere, and I'm sure that people are still doing good in her name. Her sons certainly are.

You're right that Camilla is better suited to Charles. Horses, gardening, old clothes, doesn't care if her age shows on her face, not interested in speaking up in public. It's a lovely outcome, and it's given him an easygoing charm that I don't think he ever really had before. I'm glad they've both found peace.

I agree that Diana definitely had charisma to spare.

If it had not been a royal marriage to the heir, I think they likely would've divorced earlier. So many protocols to consider, etc.

Even with how badly their marriage turned out and ended, they somehow managed to both be parents to the boys.

I think Diana is partly an image of mass media and her people also knew how to use that image. However, I do think she contributed awareness of the real world to the royal family and England and the World - in addition to her sons, that should be her legacy. One should look back on the good parts of life vs the bad. Holding grudges is just too exhausting for me.

Custom Title
    Yeah, Diana had an astonishing sense of the lives and needs of real people, and not just the nice, ordinary ones but the messy, broken ones as well. It's hard to remember a time when people would not stay in a room with someone who had AIDS, but it wasn't very long ago. The AIDS epidemic started just about at the moment when Diana came along. When she met people with AIDS, she touched them, and what's more, she even hugged them. That's a generosity of spirit that can't be taught. And certainly if it could be taught, it wasn't taught by the royal family. They never touched anyone. Remember the fuss when just a few years ago, Michelle Obama instinctively put her hand on the Queen's shoulder? Shock and scandal! And that was thirty years after Diana showed up. Empathy was one of the great things about Diana. The other great thing was that she tried to instill it in her kids. It appears as if she succeeded, doesn't it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast