Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Prince Harry

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post

In every photo I've seen of her, she has almost exactly the same expression..
    I'm thinking you haven't seen many photos of Kate then. She does smile easily and frequently, but I think that is because she has an extroverted personality (perceived charisma aside, Diana was likely the opposite) and she is confident in her role in a way her late MiL really never was. There is nothing wrong with that and her life will be made easier by both qualities. Diana's "charisma" in many ways was born of the fact that she was a deeply wounded young woman from a family that made the way Charles was raised look functional. People related to that woundedness. Kate is likely to (quite literally) survive this life precisely because she lacks both the dysfunctional background and the wounded girl persona that attracts people.

And without all of that, she still does not lack for expression:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...bridge-010.jpg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...wimming-RS.jpg

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...e-at-t-008.jpg

http://img.ibtimes.com/www/data/imag...e-joins-co.jpg

Custom Title
    I knew the minute I posted that statement that it would look critical or condescending, and I didn't mean it that way at all. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, and I'm glad you called me on it.

What I meant to convey was the fact that Kate is not as mercurial as Diana. The good effect of that is that Kate gives the impression of someone who is completely comfortable in her own skin and steady as a rock. You're right that she's probably an extrovert and at ease in any situation. But she's not starving for attention, which gives her a relaxed air. I was thrilled when William chose such a loyal, mature life partner and gave the relationship a chance to grow in the bargain. One thing Kate brings to the marriage, and this can't be underestimated, is the healthy strength that comes from a happy childhood with a nurturing family. In addition to the warmth she brings William from that background, I'm guessing that William himself was adopted by the Middletons on sight, much as Laurie was taken in by the March family in Little Women. A previous poster quoted some British wiseguys as calling her Kate Middleclass, and I think that's a badge of honor. She comes from a family, not an alliance. My goodness, she and Prince Charles even go off together to the opera or the ballet or whatever because they're the only two who like it. This is a woman who knows how to live.

In terms of charisma and glamor, Diana has far more than Kate, but I think there are aspects of that situation that were a liability for Diana. It came at a high cost. One of her greatest accomplishments, though, was to raise a son who was ready to open himself to what looks like a warm, heartfelt relationship. You know, if you're suffering and absorbed in your own suffering, you can really wreck your kids, but by a combination of instinct and miracle, Diana avoided that. Charles had something to do with that good outcome as well.

. And certainly if it could be taught, it wasn't taught by the royal family. They never touched anyone. Remember the fuss when just a few years ago, Michelle Obama instinctively put her hand on the Queen's shoulder? Shock and scandal! And that was thirty years after Diana showed up. Empathy was one of the great things about Diana. The other great thing was that she tried to instill it in her kids. It appears as if she succeeded, doesn't it.
    I think the Michele Obama touch was more blown up by the media vs the Royals themselves. I'm sure that no touch policy is based upon 100's of years of protocol. You don't even see the Queen and Prince Philip walk arm-in-arm since she became Queen - there ares picture prior to her crowning where they do. At formal functions, Camilla and Kate enter a couple of paces behind Charles and William.

I don't hold a grudge since I don't know these people, but Diana's divorce was "the worst day of her life" surely after the day her Mum left. It was a crazy idea-those two fairytale. Charles fell in love easily and often. But what people forget was that they took vows and Charles is the future King of England and Leader of the Church which may only really matter anymore to the Queen. The kids all divorced but one, affairs were the rule, not the exception.

As for Kate, she is beautiful, every inch the clotheshorse they expect over there and as thin as anyone could want. She would be skewered like poor Fergie if she were not thin. A royal biographer has written much about Kate and tthe need to have these perfect royals who exist to be looked at and it is true. The pact is, look stunning, since Diana made glamour a rule, dress to the nines with fab hats, deliver an heir and spare, and live the poshest life imaginable. It's quite a gig they have. Only the Queen really buys into the Monarchy and clearly believes in the God of the Church of England When she passes, two vey flawed and spoiled people will have to act like they care, when they don't. It's all about entertainment for the masses. Many feel they are all worth the money. I feel they are hyocrites with Sarah Ferguson. Really, they should give her a break. How many women did the queen have to suffer with her greek husband?

Anyway, I think Kate is beautiful in the classic, natural way, and model thin. Diana went through many looks and her expressions were so real. Heartbreaking at times. She struggled but she did adore her boys, and I know Charles has been a good father to these boys who are much more like him than Diana. William has an arrogance as heir that Harry does not. They are all very entertaining. I think The Princess Royal (Anne) was very smart to forgo royal titles for her kids. They still get to be moneyed and ride Olympic level horses, but avoid the expectations. Zara Philips still married with a Diamond Tiara, but she gets to live like regular folk if she wants. Charles generation will likely be the last royals Britain will tolerate. I don't think anyone expects huge things from Wills and Kate. They are so rich and do as they please. As long as they reproduce, the public that supports monarchy is happy. Things have changed so much since Charles and Diana. She was really a nice girl with much emotional baggage who became an almost unwilling superstar. Besides yachts she did care about common folk, and there lies the difference between her and the freeloaders in that clan. Fergie was not so bad, and she was just skewered for being heavy and her affairs. It is interesting, as this royal family is far more watchable than most others. Even the once ubiquitous Grimaldis of Monaco have faded away despite lovely young rich princesses.

We Americans will always be fascinated with them. I adored England. London is so wonderful, and it is incredible to see the crown jewels. The history is so much fun to learn. It is quite a cast.

I hope kate and Wills survive their roles and that he does not cheat like all his relatives. Kate seems to be so smitten with him. I cannot imagine she wants to be Queen. I think the monarchy will be abolished by then with global poverty the norm. Or maybe we in our impoverished future will need royalty more than ever. It seems we need our own reality stars here in America. Queen Kim Kardasian? Too funny. Their royal babe is born!

Custom Title
    Honestly, William seems to very much lack any arrogance. He and Kate have no household staff in Anglesey, shop for their own groceries, do their own cooking and cleaning...other than security, they live very normally there. They only have minimal staff at Kensington and that has only been added since her pregnancy. If you read about and look at photos of their public events, they are both very down to earth and relate very normally to the people they meet. It is widely reported that he prefers to be called William in social situations and asks people to skip the honorifics of titles. At university, he lived in a rental house with other students.

As for Kate...really not a clothes horse. She routinely wears outfits and accessories multiple times (something her late mother-in-law never did). She buys from retail stores like Whistles, Zara and Topshop (I assume Diana never saw the inside of stores like that--certainly never appeared in their clothing) and has been spotted multiple times shopping at a designer outlet where items are discounted. At her first solo appearance, she wore a dress borrowed from her mother. And the girl keeps clothes for YEARS. Go peruse the What Kate Wore site and you'll see that it is not uncommon (obviously not at the moment due to pregnancy) for her to wear something she appeared in five or six years ago. At last year's Olympics, she wore a white denim skirt she had previously been photographed wearing in 2007. The fashionistas are irritated that she wears the same pair of LK Bennett pumps constantly and want to see new shoes. None of that really qualifies as a glamorous clothes horse. It seems to me that she dresses for the job and nothing more. And, yes, sometimes the job calls for glamor, but sometimes you can borrow your mom's dress and wear your favorite pair of go-to-heels.

Custom Title
    i agree with both your points, Louisa. William seems very down to earth (which when you think about it is a charming pun given his job as a pilot). I love that he had the freedom to conduct his university life as he chose, and that he shared housing with fellow students. And I have long been aware of Kate's thrift when it comes to clothes, both in terms of where she buys them and how she re-uses them. It's one of her most admirable traits, I think. She's definitely not a fashion slave.

Custom Title
    i agree with both your points, Louisa. William seems very down to earth (which when you think about it is a charming pun given his job as a pilot). I love that he had the freedom to conduct his university life as he chose, and that he shared housing with fellow students. And I have long been aware of Kate's thrift when it comes to clothes, both in terms of where she buys them and how she re-uses them. It's one of her most admirable traits, I think. She's definitely not a fashion slave.
    I think the attention paid to her clothing has given a lot of people a false impression. It doesn't seem she is nearly as obsessed with that as all of her "fans" are. And I think that wearing lower end retail clothes and reusing things is both down to earth and the right image to put forward in this era of "austerity". Stepping out in nothing but brand new custom made designer clothing (as Diana basically did) would not endear her to the public in the economic times we live in.

As for William...I was just web surfing and saw a photo of him getting on a public train carrying his own bag.

Kate's wardrobe just proves that several high quality classic pieces can be used a lot longer than trendy items. While not everyone can afford Kate's outfits, they are certainly not totally out of reach for the non-wealthy. She's very similar to Michelle Obama in eschewing wearing only big designer names all of the time.

I also agree that William does seem down to earth. He might not be as easy going as Harry, but that's partly because of his basic personality (a bit shyer) and his being the older brother and 2nd in line to the throne.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    As a Royal watcher from Canada, we are used to the Royals visiting here. Actually, after Harry kicked up his heels on one of his visits, his grandma Queen Elizabeth let him know that "she was not amused" with his behavior. I believe after his apologies to the Royals he started to settle down. Now with William and Kate expecting a new addition to the Royal line, Harry has also come into his own.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

Royal Protocol

Yeah, Diana had an astonishing sense of the lives and needs of real people, and not just the nice, ordinary ones but the messy, broken ones as well. It's hard to remember a time when people would not stay in a room with someone who had AIDS, but it wasn't very long ago. The AIDS epidemic started just about at the moment when Diana came along. When she met people with AIDS, she touched them, and what's more, she even hugged them. That's a generosity of spirit that can't be taught. And certainly if it could be taught, it wasn't taught by the royal family. They never touched anyone. Remember the fuss when just a few years ago, Michelle Obama instinctively put her hand on the Queen's shoulder? Shock and scandal! And that was thirty years after Diana showed up. Empathy was one of the great things about Diana. The other great thing was that she tried to instill it in her kids. It appears as if she succeeded, doesn't it.
    I can't help but comment on your remarks "Remember the fuss when just a few years ago, Michelle Obama instinctively put her hand on the Queen's shoulder.." Yes, there would be a "fuss" - certainly an understatement. Here is the list of "do's and don'ts" when greeting the Queen, perhaps Michele should have read them beforehand:

http://www.divinecaroline.com/life-e...g-royal-family

the article does say at the bottom:

"Although it seems to be a lot to remember, it may be comforting to know that Her Majesty and the royal family are so steeped in politeness and graciousness that even if you make a major faux pas, they won’t make you feel bad about it. The British tabloids, on the other hand, who dubbed Australian Prime Minister Paul Keating “The Lizard of Oz” for accidentally touching the queen’s back, may not let you off so easy"

I think in Michele's case Queen Elizabeth did let her off easy - hundreds of years ago the response would have been "Off with her head!"

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    Here is the list of "do's and don'ts" when greeting the Queen, perhaps Michele should have read them beforehand ...
    No doubt Mrs. Obama had received a thorough briefing beforehand from the U.S. chief of protocol. By all accounts, Her Majesty and the First Lady both felt an immediate connection, and Mrs. O apparently could not suppress her innate warmth.
    I remember that after the Vancouver Olympians from Team USA met with the Obamas at the White House, one of the excited skaters happily described Mrs. O as a "hugger."

On the subject of clothes:
    The Queen herself is known to economize. One of her fancy gowns for the most formal of events was designed to accommodate temporary embellishment (elaborate beading, I think?) appropriate to the occasion. On a visit to Canada, for instance, I think a maple leaf pattern was incorporated. She wore the same dress when she visited another Commonwealth country (I forget which one), and the temporary pattern was emblematic of that sovereignty.

Custom Title
    Because it was Diana's birthday recently, there's been even more stuff about her floating around. I watched something online and was reminded that along with her mercurial personality, she had a lot of loose-cannon capabilities. She was clearly in considerable anguish for part of her all-too-short life and made some bad (and very public) decisions as a result. Even those of us who liked and admired her were aware of these traits. By contrast, Kate is far more private with the way she conducts her life, and she also has the benefit of an extraordinarily stable and supportive family. She also has her husband's undivided loyalty, which it's pretty clear Diana didn't have from Charles. One interesting and sad sidelight: in Diana's class, where an aristocratic title and inherited property are at stake, in a divorce the children seem to go to the father, no matter what their age, because in a very real sense they are part of the family property. Diana was therefore largely motherless from the age of eight. So at the risk of being a dime store psychiatrist, Kate doesn't have that inner spot of emptiness and hunger that needs filling by public adulation. She gets her love from home.

Also, times have changed, and a certain amount of that change has resulted from the way Diana was treated and rebelled of it. I love that when Kate has the baby, she's staying with her parents in their house for awhile. I am so happy that this woman seems to be both the giver and receiver of stability. In that way, she seems a lot like the Queen Mother, the late Elizabeth, who was the stalwart companion of King George VI through all storms--and they faced some doozies in their day.

Custom Title
    I love that when Kate has the baby, she's staying with her parents in their house for awhile.
    That rumor seemed to have originated from not very reliable tabloid sources and the press has ran with it to an absurd degree. Slate had a video claiming they are moving in with her parents permanently. Not even. Official spokespeople have said nothing about any stay, short or long term, with her parents. A larger apartment at Kensington Palace is being renovated for them. In the mean time, it is likely Kate & baby will go home to their current residence there and later to the rental they have in Wales where William is stationed with the RAF. The Queen has also given them a country house at Sandringham.

Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    That rumor seemed to have originated from not very reliable tabloid sources and the press has ran with it to an absurd degree. Slate had a video claiming they are moving in with her parents permanently. Not even. Official spokespeople have said nothing about any stay, short or long term, with her parents. A larger apartment at Kensington Palace is being renovated for them. In the mean time, it is likely Kate & baby will go home to their current residence there and later to the rental they have in Wales where William is stationed with the RAF. The Queen has also given them a country house at Sandringham.
    I'd be surprised if this was true, as well. As the 3rd in line to the throne and the crazy paparazzi, the baby will need security forces. I don't know if Kate's parents home would be as secure as the Palace.

What wouldn't surprise me is if Kate and William had her parents stay with them during the initial weeks. Although they will have staff to assist, K&W strike me as wanting to be hands-on until they need to return to work (like most new parents.) Also, new mother's typically feel more comfortable with the aid of their own mother's.

Custom Title
    I guess if I had thought about it, I would have realized that their staying at Chez Middleton was impractical. But I do assume that Mrs. Middleton will be with Kate after the baby is born. I still remember a friend of mine whose mother and grandmother moved in to help in the first weeks after childbirth. After the mother had to go home, the grandmother stayed on for a bit. It makes such a difference to have such support.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast