Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Prince Harry

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I guess if I had thought about it, I would have realized that their staying at Chez Middleton was impractical. But I do assume that Mrs. Middleton will be with Kate after the baby is born. I still remember a friend of mine whose mother and grandmother moved in to help in the first weeks after childbirth. After the mother had to go home, the grandmother stayed on for a bit. It makes such a difference to have such support.
    It has been more reliably reported that they have not hired a baby nurse or a nanny yet and that they are not expected to hire anyone until Kate resumes official duties. So I think it is likely that her mother may stay with them and help for a bit. My grandmother traveled to stay with my mom when she had my brother and later me. A friend of mine just had baby number seven and her mother has spent the first two weeks with her each time. So that is refreshingly normal.

Custom Title
    ...and he's born! A baby boy has arrived, and everyone seems safe and healthy.

I know there are names such as James (two kings) and George (six kings, including the popular George VI) as possibilities, but I would just love to see Arthur as his name. So far there's been only one Arthur in line for the English throne (not counting THE King Arthur), and he was Henry VII's older son. His death as a teenager freed up his betrothed, Katherine of Aragon, to be affianced to the next son, Henry. And therein lies a tale of lost Queens, a split in the Church, and all manner of historical derring-do. But I think that the good vibes from the original Arthur should be considered once more. After all, William and Kate have been residing in Wales. What better way to stress this than to name their son after the Once and Future King of the Britons?

Custom Title
    ...and he's born! A baby boy has arrived, and everyone seems safe and healthy.

I know there are names such as James (two kings) and George (six kings, including the popular George VI) as possibilities, but I would just love to see Arthur as his name. So far there's been only one Arthur in line for the English throne (not counting THE King Arthur), and he was Henry VII's older son. His death as a teenager freed up his betrothed, Katherine of Aragon, to be affianced to the next son, Henry. And therein lies a tale of lost Queens, a split in the Church, and all manner of historical derring-do. But I think that the good vibes from the original Arthur should be considered once more. After all, William and Kate have been residing in Wales. What better way to stress this than to name their son after the Once and Future King of the Britons?
    I think Arthur would be a surprise, but isn't out of the running. It is a middle name for both Charles and William and may be more likely to appear as a middle name.

I'm seeing lots of people predicting Philip for a first name. I think that would be nice but also a surprise. I can see it being a name for a second son or Harry's son or for one of the York girls to use for a boy rather than for the future king.

And, of course, the crazed Diana fans are about the web yelling for the baby to be named Spencer. I'm sure they will blame Camilla if it is not. And it won't be.

My bet is still on George for a first name. James is likely ruled out as it is the name of Prince Edward's son and Kate's brother.

Custom Title
    Hmmm. I would think that Philip could be a middle name, as it is with Charles and William himself, but I'm fairly certain that it would never be the first name of a future king because of Philip II of Spain, who was not only the husband of Mary I, Elizabeth's Catholic older sister, but also later initiated the Armada in 1588. He was practically the bogeyman in England for decades.

Spencer would be nice. I guess it could be a middle name, although somehow I doubt even that. I can't remember another family's surname used in the long chain of names of royal family members. They seem all to be first names: Charles Philip Arthur George, William Philip Arthur Louis (I think), and so on. Wouldn't it be interesting if one of the middle names was Francis, the masculine version of Diana's middle name? Too bad there's no masculine version of Diana.

Custom Title
    Hmmm. I would think that Philip could be a middle name, as it is with Charles and William himself, but I'm fairly certain that it would never be the first name of a future king because of Philip II of Spain, who was not only the husband of Mary I, Elizabeth's Catholic older sister, but also later initiated the Armada in 1588. He was practically the bogeyman in England for decades.

Spencer would be nice. I guess it could be a middle name, although somehow I doubt even that. I can't remember another family's surname used in the long chain of names of royal family members. They seem all to be first names: Charles Philip Arthur George, William Philip Arthur Louis (I think), and so on. Wouldn't it be interesting if one of the middle names was Francis, the masculine version of Diana's middle name? Too bad there's no masculine version of Diana.
    I suspect that we will see the name Diana and any other connected names as tributes to her left to Harry's children. And that may be for the best. The Diana-crazies are a bit scary. Harry's future children will be a bit less in the limelight (think of Andrew's daughters) and having her name/s will not be as much pressure on them. My mom suggested that maybe William got the ring for Kate (which was actually left to Harry) and Harry gets the names in return.

As for the new prince, I just hope they don't keep us waiting to know his name for too long. Charles' name was not announced for a month. One of Andrew's daughters was two weeks or more and William's name wasn't announced for a full week. Harry's was announced when they left the hospital. I hope that is the case here!

Custom Title
    That's a good point you make about Harry's getting "custody" of the names. I did not realize that Harry had inherited the ring! That makes it extra meaningful that Kate ended up with it, doesn't it? It passed through several sets of loving hands to get to her. What's nice is that the two brothers seem to be such a tight team, and each one seems to look out for the other. Whatever mistakes Diana made, she did a splendid job of bringing up her sons, and Charles played a significant part in that as well.

I must say, I'm surprised at how involved I feel in this event. I think it's just such a relief to have an international story that isn't based on war or greed.

Edited later in the day:

The best joke I've heard so far about the baby came from American weather anchor Al Roker on TV--If the baby sees his shadow on the day he's brought out of the hospital, we'll have six more weeks of summer. (Somehow that really tickled my funnybone.)

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Edited later in the day:

The best joke I've heard so far about the baby came from American weather anchor Al Roker on TV--If the baby sees his shadow on the day he's brought out of the hospital, we'll have six more weeks of summer. (Somehow that really tickled my funnybone.)
    Olympia, I can't tell if he is seeing his shadow or not.

http://www.today.com/news/world-awai...3859?GT1=43001

I guess Weezer is not an appropriate name for the new little prince.

Custom Title
    The photos have been so darling.

Weezer...hey, the little munchkin needs a nickname, doesn't he?

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Weezer...hey, the little munchkin needs a nickname, doesn't he?
    No need for a nickname for the baby. Sky News let the cat out of the bag about the baby’s name on their on-screen graphic during the coverage last night!

A guy I went to school with took this photo of the TV screen:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...54159781_n.jpg

He added the following caption to it:

"The baby is called leave....king leave...nice ring to it"

!!!

Seriously, though, I have been giving some thought to a possible name.

If they were going to use the same name as a previous monarch, I would prefer it to be one that wasn’t used as frequently on the list of English monarchs, such as a 2nd Stephen, a 2nd John, or a 4th Richard.

Notice how I did not mention Charles (so far 2) or William (so far 4 for England/3 for Scotland). That is because these are the names of the baby’s grandfather and father. I have always thought it was silly having families where close relatives have the same name. Like, imagine having a family get-together, say at Christmas. Somebody shouts the name, and 2 people respond.

I kinda liked the idea of a “King Michael”, but that was before I found out that Kate Middleton’s Dad was called Michael.

Of course, there is a way around this confusion – refer to the child by it’s middle name. That is what happened with my uncle. He was named after his Dad, but has always been called by his middle name. In fact the same thing happened with the current Queen’s uncle, Edward VIII. He was named after his Uncle, Prince Albert Victor (who, for some reason, was known as “Eddy”), but was always referred to by his middle name, David. Then, when he became King, Prince David reverted back to his first name, Edward.

Personally, I am not a big fan of names being recycled over and over again. Like, do we really want to have the prospect of a 9th Henry, a 9th Edward, or a 7th George?

Mind you, I suppose 9 is not as bad as the 19 monarchs with the name “Louis” that they had in France. Then there is the small matter of Popes, where the highest count is 23 for the name “John”!

Which brings us to the small matter of something else I don’t like – assuming a different name when you take office. This happens most frequently with Popes. The trend was started by the second Pope John, because his real name was Mercurio, and it wouldn’t have looked good to have a Catholic leader having the same name as a Roman God! And unfortunately, the trend it caught on. To the extent that, were it not for non-Johns assuming that name, there would only be 10 Pope Johns! (Which is still a lot, but more manageable than 23!)

It also happened with the current Queen’s Dad, George VII. His first name was actually Albert, and he was known as Prince Albert. But, when he became King after his brother’s abdication, he crowned using his middle name. Funnily enough, it was exactly the same with George VII’s Granda, Edward VII. His first name was also Albert, but he too was crowned using his middle name.

From what I can find out, it was Edward VII’s Mum that started this trend of being crowned using your middle name. Queen Victoria’s first name was actually Alexandrina.

Which brings me to a name I would love to see given to the new baby – Alexander. I have always loved pretty much all names that can be shortened to “Alex” – Alexander, Alessandro, Alexei, Aleix, Alexandra, Alexandrina, Alexis, etc. Plus, they could use the line that he was named after Edward VII’s wife, Alexandra of Denmark (who would be the new baby’s Great-Great-Great Granny!)

Oh, and it is not as if there hasn’t been a King Alexander in Britain before. 3 Kings of Scotland were called Alexander.

Prince Charles has a lot of connections with Scotland – not least following in Prince Phillip’s footsteps by going to school there (although, admittedly, Charles didn’t like Gordonstoun!) So, perhaps we should consider names of Scottish Kings.

Obviously, I would not inflict “King Macbeth II” on the wee fella. Nor would I suggest he could be become a 4th King Donald (he would be plagued with too many Disney jokes at school!) But, perhaps he could be a 5th King Malcolm; or a 4th King Robert; or a 4th King Kenneth (my Dad’s name!); or a 3rd King David (my middle name!); or even a 2nd King Edgar.

The most common name for Kings of Scotland was James (7 of them). But, I do not think that name would go down very well. King James VII of Scotland (who was also King James II of England and Ireland) is still a very controversial character, especially here in Northern Ireland. I won’t go into it all, but suffice to say that he was the last Catholic King of Britain and Ireland.

Another name I liked was naming the wee fella after his Great-Granda, Prince Philip. But, again, much as I like the current Prince Philip and the sound of “King Philip”, the prospect of a King Philip would not be very popular in England. As Olympia has already pointed out, the last King Philip that features in British history, King Philip II of Spain, sent the Spanish Armada to invade England during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I. So, rather than accepting the name as being a tribute to the current Queen Elizabeth’s husband, some people will twist the story and say it is a reference to the previous Queen Elizabeth’s nemesis. So, better not take that chance!

One name that my Dad thinks will be used (albeit as a middle name) is Louis, after Louis Mountbatten, Prince Philip’s Uncle. Prince Charles was very close to Lord Mountbatten, but he was murdered in 1979. When Prince William was born in 1982, he was given Louis as a middle name in tribute. However, Prince William never knew Lord Mountbatten, so he may not feel a strong enough connection to name his own son after him.

So, on balance, I’m going for Alexander, with at least one out of Michael, Charles, Philip, Louis and Albert featuring as middle names!

CaroLiza_fan

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Maybe it was too many Prince Albert in a can jokes or just the smoking tobacco association that caused these guys to want to dissociate themselves from the name?

A typical kid's phone prank from the 1950's. You called a store. You asked, "Do you have Prince Albert in a can?" Then you said, "Geez, then you better let him out," and hung up.

the photos of the beautiful family!

Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    So, on balance, I’m going for Alexander, with at least one out of Michael, Charles, Philip, Louis and Albert featuring as middle names!

CaroLiza_fan
    It was rumored somewhere that the top 3 names, Alexander was 3rd on the list. I'm for Alexander too. Someone on TV said a good name for the royal wee little one ....Kanye...who acts like a baby sometimes.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    It was rumored somewhere that the top 3 names, Alexander was 3rd on the list. I'm for Alexander too. Someone on TV said a good name for the royal wee little one ....Kanye...who acts like a baby sometimes.
    Baby name just announced:

George Alexander Louis

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23443504
    http://news.sky.com/story/1119977

So, yet another King George is in prospect.

Oh well, at least I was right that Alexander would be in there!

And my Dad got his Louis!

CaroLiza_fan

George Alexander Louis

I was really hoping for an Alexander!!!

Custom Title

George Alexander Louis

So, yet another King George is in prospect.

Oh well, at least I was right that Alexander would be in there!

And my Dad got his Louis!

CaroLiza_fan
    You did a great job of predicting! I was fairly sure about George, but Alexander came out of left field for me. George was a possibility for me because of how popular George VI was, and so recently too, and because he was the present Queen's father. I didn't think they'd give the boy the same first name as either his father or his grandfather, which weeded out William and Charles. I was hoping for Arthur in there somewhere, though. Notice that this little cutie pie has only three names, whereas Charles and William (and Anne, Andrew, and probably all the others) have four.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast