An Amazing Night of Skating | Golden Skate

An Amazing Night of Skating

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Last night, my hubby and I attended the Stars on Ice Show here in Vancouver. It was an amazing night of skating by all of the skaters. Our seats of course could not have been better - rink side - thanks to my husband (an anniversary gift). It's the only place to sit at ice shows now for me! I am getting spoiled. Anyway, from the first number "Somebody That I Used To Know" the show just kept building and building momentum. My husband really enjoyed the opening number. The theme of the show seemed to be about umbrellas as the umbrella was featured in quite a few of the programs. Of course where better than the West Coast to feature an umbrella? It's pouring right now, although last night was beautiful - no rain thank goodness. The commute would have been most unpleasant.

Patrick Chan was spot on! He skated two programs "I Need a Dollar" and "Mannish Boy." Wow can Patrick cover the ice with great speed and grace. Truly an awesome skater.

Ashley Wagner skated to "Vienna" by Billy Joel - one of my favorite Billy Joel pieces. Ashley is a lovely skater. She also skated to "Sweet Dreams" by the Eurythimics.

Then came Sinead and John Kerr. They skated to "Mad World" and a comic program completely dressed in Kilts to a tune "Coronach." Being British Columbians we could really relate to the Scottish theme! It was a lot of fun.

Of course Shawn Sawyer delighted us all with his antics. He is a human pretzel. He morphed into a butterfly skating to Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana" and then later a very dramatic skate to "Seven Nation Army" by the White Stripes. No wonder Toller Cranston picked Shawn Sawyer as his protégé. In fact, Shawn reminded me a little bit of Toller when he skated his "Carmina Burana" program. I think Shawn was channeling Toller!

Jeffrey Buttle and Joannie Rochette skated to "Piano Guys" which was a mix of Dave Brubeck/Van Cliburn which showcased Joannie skating to classical music and Jeffrey skating to Jazz. I loved it. They both skated well together. Later Jeff skated two bluesy programs, "Just In Time" Mel Torme and "In This Shirt" by The Irrepressibles (I was not familiar with this piece). Both programs featured Jeff's wonderful artistic skills.

Of course, next came the master of the blades himself - Kurt. He pretty much got a standing ovation before he skated to a song written especially for him called "Kurt's Song" by one of the members of the Tragically Hip - which happens to be my husband's favorite Canadian rock group. It was a lovely piece. At the end of the Act 11 Kurt treated us once again to my favorite Kurt program "Singing in the Rain - complete with a rain storm!

Tessa Virture and Scott Moir did a magical program to a Rihanna piece called "Stay" It was exquisite. They surprised us later with their "Carman" program - what a treat! They also paid tribute to the Vancouver 2010 Olympics with their famous "Canada Goose" move from their Olympic program.

Joannie skated to "Is it a Crime" by Sade and "That Man" by Caro Emerald. She is looking fantastic! I think Joannie could skate in the Sochi Olympics!

At the end of Act 1, Tessa and Scott, Kurt, Jeffrey and Patrick did a group number to a piece called "Wonder."

Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford were also supposed to perform their program "True Colors", but for some strange reason it was cut, although they did skate in the final group number. I don't know what happened. I was really looking forward to seeing them skate.

After all that wonderful night of pure skating, fun and entertainment the night was over too soon. The skaters wrapped things up pretty quickly - it was the last stop on their tour. Oh yeah, before I forget, Patrick Chan got a surprise during the "Wonder" program - Kurt ran off ice and grabbed a bucket of water and poured it on Patrick! Jeffrey said later - that Patrick is the "rookie" and "welcome to Stars on Ice." I guess it was his initiation into the Stars on Ice family.

I splurged on a Stars on Ice T-Shirt and a video of the Stars on Ice 1993 show - I can watch it when I need a skating fix this summer.

All in all it was an amazing night of skating. I was thinking, pure skating, pure joy, and best of all - no judges!

:biggrin:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the review and so glad you enjoyed the show. How could you not with such a great cast?

I am so glad the DVD to the 1993 tour is available (that was the first year we attended SOI in the US, all thanks to Brian Orser & Paul Wyle being in it). The rest is history ... :biggrin:

How wonderful to hear your report! It sounds like an amazing program. I'm so glad that Jeffrey has kept skating and developing his artistry. I'll look on YouTube.

And it's great that you and other friends of skating are able to support a show like this. It keeps things going for a bit longer. I'm afraid that you Canadians are a lot better at this than we in the States. We need to follow your example.

Teenes

On the Ice