Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Time to speculate: Russia in a tight squeeze!

#TeamAUS

Time to speculate: Russia in a tight squeeze!

To the horror of Russian skating, there is only room for one male skater to represent Russia in sochi.

My questions are:
    Who do you think will make it to Sochi?
    Who do you want to go to Sochi?
    Which will prevail next year: youth (gachinski, kovtun etc.) or experience (plushenko, menshov etc.)
    Are you a plushenko or menshov fan?

GO!!!

Custom Title
    I just have to assume that even though his wins in 2012 and 2013 weren't exactly extreme blowouts plushenko would win over everyone like he has been. Though maybe the Russian federation will just pick kovtun because they love him so much and unlike plushenko anyone else like gachinski or kovtun could be relied on more than plushenko to do both team and individual! No i am sure that no matter what happens if plushenko wins Russian nationals or loses and beats them at euros plushenko is going to the Olympics again. If there is no plushenko kovtun vs gachinski I bet they go with kovtun unless gachinski is really really impressive.

I wish Menshov could go, but I don't think they'll pick him, especially after he popped his shoulder out at WTT. I think it'll be Plushenko if he is even remotely healthy. If not, maybe Kovtun or Gachinski but Voronov is in the running too.

Custom Title
    I somehow want Plushenko, Menshov and Gachinski to all go.

Bugger. This is gonna be a long season.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I wish Menshov could go, but I don't think they'll pick him, especially after he popped his shoulder out at WTT. I think it'll be Plushenko if he is even remotely healthy. If not, maybe Kovtun or Gachinski but Voronov is in the running too.
    Voronov did very impressively in 2013 nationals but maybe they wont send him out anymore. He could be in the menshov position.

Custom Title
    about russian men's feild...
    Unfortunately, menshov seems to be unable to go to the olympics.. because of his injury

then, i think one of kovtun or plushenko will make it.. if only kovtun and plushenko left.. i would hope plushenko can go to the olympics.
    kovtun has many chances to have competive, but to him, sochi olympic will be last competition which held in his country.. i hope he can go to the olympic to good end as a competitior

And answer for the last question.
    Are you a plushenko or menshov fan? no

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    If Plushenko can skate, he'll go.

I don't see any of the other contenders having a breakout season to the extent that they can overcome the starpower.

Could one of the others skate in the Team Event if Plushy decides not to? Meaning... do the rules allow that?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    If Plushenko can skate, he'll go.

I don't see any of the other contenders having a breakout season to the extent that they can overcome the starpower.

Could one of the others skate in the Team Event if Plushy decides not to? Meaning... do the rules allow that?
    No the rules only allow if a country qualifies for team but not one of the disciplines they can send a member of that discipline to compete in the team. Russia has to deal with sending plushenko for both team and individual. If Russia can not get a guarantee from plushenko to compete in team and men's and not skip Team that's an issue.

Custom Title
    I also don't think there is any question Plushenko will go if he is healthy. His participation will increase viewership substantially in Russia, and the federation will end up embarrassed if they send someone else and that skater finishes outside the top 10.

I don't think Evgeny would mind participating in both events. He has a great chance at a medal in the team event, and a good chance in the individual event.

Custom Title
    To answer your questions:

1.Who do you think will make it to Sochi? Plushenko if he can land most of his jumps by Russian Nationals.
    2.Who do you want to go to Sochi? Skater that is most likely to be inside top 10 at Sochi.
    3.Which will prevail next year: youth (gachinski, kovtun etc.) or experience (plushenko, menshov etc.) Experience(Plushenko/Menshov)-I find consistency/PCS to be important, and older skaters are better in that category.
    4.Are you a plushenko or menshov fan? No.

Custom Title
    -Who do you think will make it to Sochi? -> Plushenko if healthy enough. No doubt. If not, probably Kovtun.

-Who do you want to go to Sochi? -> Plushenko if only his body can bear it. If not, then Menshov, PLEASE.

-Which will prevail next year: youth (gachinski, kovtun etc.) or experience (plushenko, menshov etc.) -> idk. Has been always out of my reach/common sense/speculation/imagination so far, as far as RF (to me) is concerned...

-Are you a plushenko or menshov fan? -> Oh, my heart is torn on this one...cause I happen to root for them. Though their skating style was not my best cup of tea in the past, I've come to cheer for them both for many reasons lately, thanks to a couple of bashers on this forum.

I hope Plushenko is ready to go. I especially want to see him in the team competition. That is what I look forward to the most, for this reason:

I think there is a big, big, big, big differentce between the world championship and the Olympic Games. You go to Worlds to show that you are the best skater in the world, or the second best, or the top ten. You go to the Olympics to represent your country.

Custom Title
    I've painstakingly sifted through it all and come up with a list in order of who I'd like to see at Sochi:

1. Plushenko
    2. Menshov
    3. Gachinski (and the only reason he's below Menshov is that at 19/20, he's young enough to aim for 2018)
    4. Voronov
    5. Kovtun

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by venlac View Post
    Unfortunately, menshov seems to be unable to go to the olympics.. because of his injury
    ? It was only a dislocated shoulder. He didn't even break anything. He's probably already back in training.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I hope Plushenko is ready to go. I especially want to see him in the team competition. That is what I look forward to the most, for this reason:

I think there is a big, big, big, big differentce between the world championship and the Olympic Games. You go to Worlds to show that you are the best skater in the world, or the second best, or the top ten. You go to the Olympics to represent your country.

Russia finds itself forced to make a "hail Mary" (a play borned out of desperation with only a small chance of success). That makes Plushenko the likely choice. Win or lose, Plushenko has the power to be awesome. He doesn't seem to ever disappoint.

Too bad Kazakhstan separated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast