Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Eurosport Commentary Team

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Have you never heard of Joan Rivers? Or tons of others like that who are far more biting than Jenny + Dave?

There is nothing unprofessional about it. It's a form of expression/entertainment.
    TSL is trying to do proper journalism which is to be compensated for news reporting and analysis. Joan Rivers is paid to be a *****. Big difference.

An update for my fellow Chris Howarth fans:

Czar Josh Ventura‏@theczarisalive18h
    @SkatingLesson Guys, I am dying to watch your interview with Chris from Eurosport! When will you be uploading it?

The Skating Lesson‏@SkatingLesson16h
    @theczarisalive We will post it on Monday. There were quite a few issues with our connection, so it will be the audio version only.

At last! I was beginning to think they'd forgotten all about it...

Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    An update for my fellow Chris Howarth fans:

Czar Josh Ventura‏@theczarisalive18h
    @SkatingLesson Guys, I am dying to watch your interview with Chris from Eurosport! When will you be uploading it?

The Skating Lesson‏@SkatingLesson16h
    @theczarisalive We will post it on Monday. There were quite a few issues with our connection, so it will be the audio version only.

At last! I was beginning to think they'd forgotten all about it...
    I'm really curious, too. So tomorrow they will post it...Thank you.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    NOTE: I originally posted this 3 hours ago, but I never thought and made the mistake of including the link. So, here is the same post, only without the link.

Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    I'm really curious, too. So tomorrow they will post it...Thank you.
    Good news and bad news.

Good News: They've posted the interview and, judging by the comments of the TSL Facebook page, it was a good one!!!

Bad News: The TSL website is down at the moment. There is a message from WordPress saying "Sorry, we couldn't find the domain you're looking for."

Typical!!! I've been really looking forward to this interview since it was announced. Grrrrr!!!!!

On the plus side, there's a nice picture of a squirrel...

CaroLiza_fan

EDIT: The site is back up again now. But, I just spotted that the interview is only 15 minutes long.

I'm sure Chris has more stories in him than 15 minutes-worth! Maybe he's saving them for the Eurosport commentary this season!

Custom Title

Simon + Nicky = Priceless

I think Simon Reed is the lynchpin. Simon + any of the others just works so well. Without him, the commentary feels a bit dry to me.

In my opinion, the ultimate is Simon + Nicky. I was so pleased to see (hear) Nicky back in the seat for Nebelhorn, and many moments of pure (untintentional) commedy followed. Although perhaps it is peculiarly British comedy, I don't know if it "works" for other nationalities. For example, apart from their usual amusing "banter", there was Simon's classic "brother-and-sister ice dance teams" comments... Nicky's "you just don't" comments (ice dancers arguing, and sticking tongues out at the judges)... Simon's "oookaaaay" after Nicky's views on the old compulsory dances... etc etc.

By the way, Japanese skate fans clamour for translations of the Eurosport commentary - since they often heap praise on Yuzuru Hanyu (especially Simon), Daisuke Takahashi, Akiko Suzuki etc. Also, when commentating live, they often go places that other commentators fear to tread eg. blurting out that the 2012 Worlds Men's was ruined by the judges, and they gave the gold medal to the wrong guy... (popular in Japan, because the Eurosport guys thought the REAL winner was Takahashi). Perhaps they feel they can say what they like, because the UK has no serious contenders on the world stage? Whether their views are right or wrong, I think the way they deliver them adds such a lot to the TV experience :-D They are the kings of skating commentary to me.

They really ought to learn to pronounce the Japanese skaters' names properly though, haha :-D

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I don't expect Nicky to master Japanese names any time soon. Nicky Slater still can't pronounce Shpilband, and he's had many, many years to practice that one. He usually says something like Shipblad.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 10-23-2013 at 06:56 AM.

Custom Title
    I love British Eurosport team so much, too. And their commentary during the recent Skate America in Detroit has saved me from the botton of the sea so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by YesWay View Post
    They really ought to learn to pronounce the Japanese skaters' names properly though, haha :-D
    But I actually love and admire it whenever they call Dai's name as "Daisuki Takahashi", which can be literally translated to "I loooove Takahashi" in Japanase.
    He's been one of top skaters for so long that they should have known/learned by now how to call his name properly. But they just keep doing so (calling 'daisuki') purposely, I would suspect.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    But I actually love and admire it whenever they call Dai's name as "Daisuki Takahashi", which can be literally translated to "I loooove Takahashi" in Japanase.
    He's been one of top skaters for so long that they should have known/learned by now how to call his name properly. But they just keep doing so (calling 'daisuki') purposely, I would suspect.
    Yes, I have to wonder if they aren't deliberately doing it. I just got back home from Skate America last night, did a quick check that the Eurosport coverage recorded OK... and some of Nicky's pronunciations are SO bad, he MUST be doing it on purpose! haha.

Who was the lady commentator? I checked Mao's FS (to spot myself in the audience haha), and she was saying that Mao's FS consisted of skating from one end of the rink to the other and back... "with nothing in between"... and she'd like to see Mao putting in more content O_o Erm... WHAT?! If that was a joke, it went over my head. I was not impressed by her general tone and manner, and she is no kind of substitute for King Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by YesWay View Post
    Yes, I have to wonder if they aren't deliberately doing it. I just got back home from Skate America last night, did a quick check that the Eurosport coverage recorded OK... and some of Nicky's pronunciations are SO bad, he MUST be doing it on purpose! haha.

Who was the lady commentator? I checked Mao's FS (to spot myself in the audience haha), and she was saying that Mao's FS consisted of skating from one end of the rink to the other and back... "with nothing in between"... and she'd like to see Mao putting in more content O_o Erm... WHAT?! If that was a joke, it went over my head. I was not impressed by her general tone and manner, and she is no kind of substitute for King Simon.
    I was wondering the same thing, who is she?

I heard she was Joanne Conway, six time British ladies champion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joanne_Conway

She competed in the Calgary Olympics in 1988

#TeamAUS
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
    I was wondering the same thing, who is she?
    Her name is Joanne Conway. She was a british ladies skater in the late eighties-early nineties. She was a six times national champion, went to two olympics, four worlds and Five europeans. I actually liked her commentary- it is always good to get another persons opinion and she provided that. Can always work on sounding more excited though.

Another new commentator was added to the Canadian commentary team for ice dance - Coach Carol Lane, who coaches Gilles & Poirier and Ralph & Hill.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by GF2445 View Post
    Her name is Joanne Conway. She was a british ladies skater in the late eighties-early nineties. She was a six times national champion, went to two olympics, four worlds and Five europeans. I actually liked her commentary- it is always good to get another persons opinion and she provided that. Can always work on sounding more excited though.
    Love Joanne Conway Glad she is back commentating for Eurosport, she knows what she is talking about and yes agree good to get other opinions, Joanne was renowned as an artistic skater, and she likes to see the choreographic content put into the programs for which I am all for, its technique and artistic, the PCS still needs to be sorted out drastically, I can only see it with Abbott and Takahashi but for others that are artistic I just don't see it, particularly with the next tier of skaters, Fleur Maxwell as an example - she should be getting close to 65-70 for PCS. another review please of the system after Sochi...

But getting back, glad your on the team again Joanne.....

On the Ice
    Much respect for the Eurosport commentary team for their own contributions to the sport as skaters. I would say however that I thought they tended to make extended chit chat a bit too often about their own experiences (whether it be about falling or whatnot) almost as a way of avoiding making substantive commentary about the skating. Became evident that they are lacking in terms of technical knowledge/the IJS scoring system.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I heard she was Joanne Conway, six time British ladies champion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joanne_Conway

She competed in the Calgary Olympics in 1988
    Doris and GF2445, thank you for the info. I'll look into.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast