Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sad News From Toni!!

Aw ... Chris

Toni, I think what Doris said is so true. You did everything you could have done for Yuka. Please do not be hard on yourself.

sorry Toni, I must put down nearly 20 year old daffney. I have to clean out house and am a mess. daffy still purrs and is alone a lot. I just can't do it tho shes all bones. She was supposed to die before mom....animals are my true friends. the best.

I know I did the right thing.

I also know that letting her suffer would have been a selfish and irresponsible thing to do on my part. As her long time vet told me over the phone - the longer I made her wait the more guilty I would feel once it was all over because I would forever wish I had NOT put that suffering on her. The BEST thing one can do for their pet is forget about THEMSELVES and do what is BEST for the animal. Yes, it was hard and it broke my heart. It was not a decision I made lightly (iluvtodd can tell you I fought for over a week to make sure there was no other option - and this was after trying to figure out what was going on for three months [she was misdiagnosed big time and went downhill fast after I flew out to montana]). I did this for HER, not ME. If I wanted to be self serving I wouldn't have taken her needs into consideration and forced her to live out her remaining days (which knowing her she'd have fought longer than most) in constant pain while wasting away.

The best gift I could give her was freedom from pain.

Yes, that is a healthy attitude to have. I have had to make the decision oh too many times and I always look at whats best for the dog. What is the quality of life vs the pain? My Twistee is pretty stove up and needs help with stairs. We have a harness on her
    to lift her up and down stairs. She doesn't have control of her bowels and her rear is weak. But once she gets limbered up, she walks around the ranch with me pretty good , which she loves and loves food time. She doesn't appear to be in much pain.
    Once she cant walk and her rear gives out, I know it will be time. Thankfully, of all the dogs I have lost, only one went "Early" at 9 years old, of Hemangiosarcoma.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I know I did the right thing.

I also know that letting her suffer would have been a selfish and irresponsible thing to do on my part. As her long time vet told me over the phone - the longer I made her wait the more guilty I would feel once it was all over because I would forever wish I had NOT put that suffering on her. The BEST thing one can do for their pet is forget about THEMSELVES and do what is BEST for the animal. Yes, it was hard and it broke my heart. It was not a decision I made lightly (iluvtodd can tell you I fought for over a week to make sure there was no other option - and this was after trying to figure out what was going on for three months [she was misdiagnosed big time and went downhill fast after I flew out to montana]). I did this for HER, not ME. If I wanted to be self serving I wouldn't have taken her needs into consideration and forced her to live out her remaining days (which knowing her she'd have fought longer than most) in constant pain while wasting away.

The best gift I could give her was freedom from pain.

Sorry about your pet, Toni. We've all been there but it sucks just the same. 42

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2