Sad News From Toni!! | Golden Skate

Sad News From Toni!!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I received an email from Toni with sad news. She said while on vacation and at her bff’s wedding she got news that her little pug dog, Yuka was very ill. She had to make the decision to have her parents take Yuka and have her put to sleep. She said they were unaware that she had a tumor growing inside her nose and it grew so large that it cut off all air from her nose. Yuka may have had tumors elsewhere too. Toni said this was missed by everyone including her doctors. Toni said she is devastated; she had Yuka since she was 5 weeks old. Toni said she knows it was the right thing to do.

Even though Toni did the right thing it still hurts her.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
So sorry Toni about your little Yuka. It is very difficult to cope when we lose a beloved pet, been there.
Take care of yourself and know that I am thinking of you.

Thank you Dee for letting us know.

Toni, I'm so sorry to hear about Yuka. The downside of having a pet is that sometimes, the animal's life is in your hands. That's a terrifying responsibility, and one always wonders whether one acted too soon and ended a life or waited too long and prolonged the suffering. I've been in that position, too. But you are correct that you did the right thing, and that plus the good memories should give you consolation.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
So sad. Those of us who have such deep bonds with animals are fortunate indeed. And it is worth it to experience it even when you know that with profound joy you will inevitably experience great sorrow. Been through this many times. Condolences to you Toni!

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Sorry for your loss, Toni. I've had to say goodbye to so many pet dogs over my lifetime & it still hurts. My current dog is 13 or 14 years old & starting to stumble & having to be very careful when she lays down so it's going to be decision time for me soon.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
So sorry for your loss Toni. I know from experience how much it hurts. Prayers to you.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Thank you so much for the kind words. I was unable to be there for her in her last moments and that's what is the hardest part of this whole thing - other than learning to deal with a new normal. Some of you may remember when I got her my senior year of high school over ten years ago. She was far too young. What really makes me angry is I did EVERYTHING I knew to be right to care for her, and she was killed by something that could've been easily fixed had we caught it in time. She should have shown signs of massive pain by the time that she was put to sleep, but she never once showed signs of distress until she could only breathe through her mouth. It just seems so unfair that she was dealing with this for so long and we didn't know it. While dog owners that over feed, neglect, etc their pets and those dogs live to be 15-20 years old.

Anger is part of the grief process and I'm firmly in that step at the moment.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Toni, I am sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope you will be comforted as you process during this tough time.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Toni, I am so sorry to hear about Yuka.
She must have loved and cared for you and your family as much as you and your family did for her, and it might have been why she rather chose the way it was (not showing any signs of distress) to reciprocate all your love and care for her all these years...
My prayers and hugs to you.

yude

Record Breaker
I am very sorry to hear about your dog.
I also have a pug dog. So I feel like understanding what you mean about her not showing distress and pain.
My dog had an eye surgey when she was little, but she was so energetic even she was blind with great pain.
I think pug has a lot of characters and that makes it so lovable.
I can see Yuka is smiling in peace.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Toni, my heart goes out to you! I'm so sorry about Yuka, but please, please know you did the right thing.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The only time I cry is when my wife and I loose a dog.....We have a memorial park on a hill with a big tree where Rival, Heidi, Lexy, and Holly sleep. Twistee will soon join them.
Some of my ashes will go there too...it has a nice view of the mountains.....
We know the pain....

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Aw ... Chris :cry:

Toni, I think what Doris said is so true. You did everything you could have done for Yuka. Please do not be hard on yourself.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
sorry Toni, I must put down nearly 20 year old daffney. I have to clean out house and am a mess. daffy still purrs and is alone a lot. I just can't do it tho shes all bones. She was supposed to die before mom....animals are my true friends. the best.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I know I did the right thing.

I also know that letting her suffer would have been a selfish and irresponsible thing to do on my part. As her long time vet told me over the phone - the longer I made her wait the more guilty I would feel once it was all over because I would forever wish I had NOT put that suffering on her. The BEST thing one can do for their pet is forget about THEMSELVES and do what is BEST for the animal. Yes, it was hard and it broke my heart. It was not a decision I made lightly (iluvtodd can tell you I fought for over a week to make sure there was no other option - and this was after trying to figure out what was going on for three months [she was misdiagnosed big time and went downhill fast after I flew out to montana]). I did this for HER, not ME. If I wanted to be self serving I wouldn't have taken her needs into consideration and forced her to live out her remaining days (which knowing her she'd have fought longer than most) in constant pain while wasting away.

The best gift I could give her was freedom from pain.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes, that is a healthy attitude to have. I have had to make the decision oh too many times and I always look at whats best for the dog. What is the quality of life vs the pain? My Twistee is pretty stove up and needs help with stairs. We have a harness on her
to lift her up and down stairs. She doesn't have control of her bowels and her rear is weak. But once she gets limbered up, she walks around the ranch with me pretty good , which she loves and loves food time. She doesn't appear to be in much pain.
Once she cant walk and her rear gives out, I know it will be time. Thankfully, of all the dogs I have lost, only one went "Early" at 9 years old, of Hemangiosarcoma.
I know I did the right thing.

I also know that letting her suffer would have been a selfish and irresponsible thing to do on my part. As her long time vet told me over the phone - the longer I made her wait the more guilty I would feel once it was all over because I would forever wish I had NOT put that suffering on her. The BEST thing one can do for their pet is forget about THEMSELVES and do what is BEST for the animal. Yes, it was hard and it broke my heart. It was not a decision I made lightly (iluvtodd can tell you I fought for over a week to make sure there was no other option - and this was after trying to figure out what was going on for three months [she was misdiagnosed big time and went downhill fast after I flew out to montana]). I did this for HER, not ME. If I wanted to be self serving I wouldn't have taken her needs into consideration and forced her to live out her remaining days (which knowing her she'd have fought longer than most) in constant pain while wasting away.

The best gift I could give her was freedom from pain.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Sorry about your pet, Toni. We've all been there but it sucks just the same. 42