Takahashi: Japan's golden boy on the importance of being 'gorgeous' | Golden Skate

Takahashi: Japan's golden boy on the importance of being 'gorgeous'

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
(CNN) -- "A must-have quality for figure skaters is, I think, gorgeousness." Japan's Daisuke Takahashi throws his head back and laughs, but he is serious.

More

Interesting article! I doubt he really is implying that he thinks he's gorgeous (though we think so!), but it was really nice to hear the other details about his training, how he views other skaters (I love that he says he's jealous if another skater does something cool, and he then wants to be that skater, and that's what motivates him), and how he got into skating as a youngster. His point about not being too self-absorbed while performing is interesting, because it speaks to his connection with the audience.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Nice article! I love the humility he has and even being critical of himself. Hopefully he left enough slices of humble pie for Chan and Plushenko.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Takahashi is the most exciting skater skating right now. He has the "it" factor in spades. I can't wait to see what he does for next year. Win or lose, he's still the best in my book.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
you do not equate Chan and Plushenko, please ..

I'm not equating, but both have made statements that aren't particularly humble. Plushenko has previously said he doesn't need transitions, and that Lysacek without a quad didn't deserve to beat him (which isn't very sportsmanly and rather self-entitled), and tweeted that Chan's federation won him his 2013 worlds gold. Chan has also been not very humble by referring to himself as the Sochi winner (and has made self-entitled comments), made insults towards Ten, and makes brash comments from time to time.

Takahashi on the other hand is critical of his own skating, admires others' skating, and has a generally positive, non self-entitled attitude. :clap:

phaeljones

On the Ice
Great article. Takahashi really has a lot of class right to the core, both on and off the ice. The sport would be so much better if more of the other skaters took from his lead.

yaya124

On the Ice
deleted (second thought, should not bring the topic in Dai's thread.)

================

Dai is indeed a very nice guy, great performer!!

deedee1

Record Breaker
(CNN) -- "A must-have quality for figure skaters is, I think, gorgeousness." Japan's Daisuke Takahashi throws his head back and laughs, but he is serious.

More

I posted the link in FanFests thread last night, and am visitng The Edge in order to create a new thread...only to find this thread. Thanks a lot! :bow:

Takahashi is the most exciting skater skating right now. He has the "it" factor in spades. I can't wait to see what he does for next year. Win or lose, he's still the best in my book.

:rock: ITA. The definition, however, of 'the best skater' differs; each to their own, which is rightfully so, if we talk about this specific sport and its uniqueness I believe. :yes: And especially in such 'cruel/merciless' CoP era of figure skating (to some veteran skaters). Let me just say; Win or lose, he is THE skater who grabs my heart and soul the most. GOooooo Daisuke~~=! :party:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
deleted (second thought, should not bring the topic in Dai's thread.)
:agree: DO NOT FEED TROLLS!

That resident since now on will be bringing Chan in all threads possible. Nothing wrong with trolling trolls though to my mind. But it's better to do it in trollish threads like "Can .. win?" that apriori exists for speculations, trolling and related stuff. :)

Interesting article! I doubt he really is implying that he thinks he's gorgeous (though we think so!),
I am not actually sure that "gorgeous" or "gorgeoussness" is the proper translation (done by CCN afterall ;)) of what Dai said: フィギュアスケートにおいて一番必要な資質は華やかさだと思う. It could be more like "showiness", "brilliance". That fits better to the context of what Dai said about performance and the connection to the audience, and it's not exactly just "beautiful" or "magnificient". But since both languages are not my native, I think someone might get a better explanation of what he meant. :slink:  

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Dai is the ultimate Gentleman. He has so many great qualities and IMO "gorgeousness" is just one of them.

You make a good point let's talk about the translation, we cannot be sure that Dai actually said "gorgeous".

deedee1

Record Breaker
let`s talk;741239I am not actually sure that "gorgeous" or "gorgeoussness" is the proper translation (done by CCN afterall ;)) of what Dai said: フィギュアスケートにおいて一番必要な資質は[B said:
華やかさ[/B]だと思う. It could be more like "showiness", "brilliance". That fits better to the context of what Dai said about performance and the connection to the audience, and it's not exactly just "beautiful" or "magnificient". But since both languages are not my native, I think someone might get a better explanation of what he meant. :slink:  

I agree. By him saying '華やかさ', I would translate something like 'showiness', 'presence on ice/stand-outness', or, 'ability to draw audience into your performance'. oh my...too long translation, though. That was why one of professors in my college days criticized me 'too long tanslation, too many words during interpreting. Be quick and more precise! Never become a translator or simultaneous interpreter'...:eek:: Sorry to say but I have a little say here and there on CNN's translation into English on Dai's comments. I of course appreciate a lot this great interview by CNN! :yes:

kiri433

Rinkside
Hi. Regarding the word "gorgeousness" (華やかさ), I would probably use "flare" instead, and Dai certainly has a lot of it!!;)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm not equating, but both have made statements that aren't particularly humble. Plushenko has previously said he doesn't need transitions, and that Lysacek without a quad didn't deserve to beat him (which isn't very sportsmanly and rather self-entitled), and tweeted that Chan's federation won him his 2013 worlds gold. Chan has also been not very humble by referring to himself as the Sochi winner (and has made self-entitled comments), made insults towards Ten, and makes brash comments from time to time.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I actually like it better when athletes are honest about how they feel. I always laugh when I hear someone say "I'm so happy for the winner!" No you aren't; you trained all year to try to win yourself :) I also appreciate honest humility like Dai's but to me there is nothing wrong with saying you think you should have won if that is what you believe.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
In a fair World Takahashi would be the 2010 Olympic Champion, 2010 World Champion, and 2012 World Champion today. Actually in a fair World he would never have gotten the major injury he got and dominated skating the way people expected him to for a few years following his 2008 4CCs performances.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Hi. Regarding the word "gorgeousness" (華やかさ), I would probably use "flare" instead, and Dai certainly has a lot of it!!;)

I think you mean "flair". But at any rate, yes, he has that in spades.

I agree. By him saying '華やかさ', I would translate something like 'showiness', 'presence on ice/stand-outness', or, 'ability to draw audience into your performance'. oh my...too long translation, though. That was why one of professors in my college days criticized me 'too long tanslation, too many words during interpreting. Be quick and more precise! Never become a translator or simultaneous interpreter'...:eek:: Sorry to say but I have a little say here and there on CNN's translation into English on Dai's comments. I of course appreciate a lot this great interview by CNN! :yes:

Thanks, Deedee and also Let's Talk and Kiri. I suspected that Dai meant whatever Japanese word he used to convey some sense other than "Am I not the most beautiful creature you've ever SEEN?" Showiness or flair sounds about right. As for saying that he's "jealous" of other skaters, that's not negative either. From the rest of what he said at that part of the interview, it doesn't just mean that he wished he had won instead of the other guy (perfectly natural for any competitive skater to feel) but also that he wished he'd executed that particular triple lutz or whatever. In my job, the equivalent is if someone gives me a really sparkling paragraph that makes me feel "I wish I'd written that!" It's really a mixture of jealousy (in a good way) and admiration. As Daisuke said, it just makes one want to be as good as that other person.

In any case, it's a splendidly articulate interview, but we have to remember that it's filtered through translation. The French have a saying: Traduire c'est trahir: to translate is to betray.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Takahashi certainly has what he said one must have. And that has certainly duzzled eyes of many viewers.

His is a sport where performance is everything -- from the flamboyant routines to the glitzy outfits to the interaction with the crowd.

Nice summary!:laugh:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I agree. By him saying '華やかさ', I would translate something like 'showiness', 'presence on ice/stand-outness', or, 'ability to draw audience into your performance'.

No matter what he means, he has all of that in SPADES.

Presence on ice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOlXuWQzYL4

Gorgeousness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6fC5Idj5_g

Ability to draw the audience into his performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BykWvMxwUGk

Showiness/Flair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXYHp1GiVLI