Shin Ji Hoon returns to figure skating | Golden Skate

Shin Ji Hoon returns to figure skating

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Former ‘K-Pop Star 2‘ contestant Shin Ji Hoon recently returned to her roots as a figure skater.

On the May 11th broadcast of MBC‘s ‘Human Documentary‘, Shin Ji Hoon gave viewers a glimpse of her journey as a figure skater, which requires waking up at 6AM every morning to go practice at the skating rink. Although she began skating during her 6th year of elementary school, which is later than most child skaters, she learned quickly. Within just two years, she was able to win an award at national and international competitions.

More

Very cool. Pretty girl. So, is she also pursuing a singing career?

Off topic: OK, I clicked on the icon below the main feature where t says "Yuna Kim gets double eyelids for a photoshoot." Is there a Korean cosmetologist on board who can enlighten me about this? Do some people genetically have monolids and others doublelids, which can then be altered by taping/gluing or by surgery? Is one look considered more in fashion than another?

http://www.allkpop.com/2013/05/kim-yuna-tries-out-double-eyelids-look-for-romanson

aftertherain

Record Breaker

Off topic: OK, I clicked on the icon below the main feature where t says "Yuna Kim gets double eyelids for a photoshoot." Is there a Korean cosmetologist on board who can enlighten me about this? Do some people genetically have monolids and others doublelids, which can then be altered by taping/gluing or by surgery? Is one look considered more in fashion than another?

http://www.allkpop.com/2013/05/kim-yuna-tries-out-double-eyelids-look-for-romanson

(Not a cosmetologist nor a plastic surgeon, but I've been hearing about this topic for many, many years now.)

Yes, Asians genetically have either monolids ("no crease" above eyes) or double eyelids (skin crease above eyes). And yes, monolids can be altered by special eye-tape or by surgery, and even by wearing false/detachable eyelashes (the extra attachment kind of "lifts" the eyelid). I also would just like to point out that people with monolids actually do have eyelid creases, but they are directly above the eyelashes rather than on the top of the eye socket. Therefore, when the eyes are open, the crease kind of just goes "inside", so they're a lot harder to see. When the eyes are closed, there is a noticeable crease right above the lashes.

As for the "in-fashion" question, some argue that some of those who want the surgery are influenced by western definitions of beauty while other others argue that this is not the case. (People with double-eyelids generally have slightly bigger eyes as well.) Some fans of monolidd-ed celebrities actually argue against them getting double-eyelid surgery--after said celebrity expresses a desire to undergo surgery or etc--because they feel that it takes away their personality and changes their image. An example would Ga-In from the girl group Brown-Eyed Girls.

Edit: Removed pictures. They served no purpose.

venlac

On the Ice

I just saw this thread. What the.... :scratch:
from the past, when she have think makeup, there was double eyelids.http://youtu.be/QxiUMAe1ZKw
 Because there is naturally a shallow lines over the eyes  

here is Anti-thread? This situation is like Japan's antifans say that Kim had plastic sugery...

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I just saw this thread. What the.... :scratch:
from the past, when she have think makeup,  there was a double eyelids. http://youtu.be/QxiUMAe1ZKw

here is Anti-thread?

Don't call this an anti-thread. Anyone, regardless of their eyelids are very pretty. And the fact that you are suggesting that people who don't know that eyeslids can be genetically different and ask about it are in any way against Yuna really makes me angry.

And yes, Yuna naturally has monolids and they are beautiful.

And like I said, many things, including false eyelashes (NOT SURGERY) can create double-eyelids. I know this because there are many wonderful Youtube make-up gurus of Asian descent who use them and show what they do.

Many celebrities, regardless of where they are from and their ethnicity, wear false eyelashes for appearances, films, and commercials to create a fuller effect bring drama to the eyes, an extra crease is just another effect of these extensions. (Again, NOT SURGERY.) -- Example: Beyonce.

------

And kudos to Shin Ji Hoon for trying to chase both her dreams! :) She's a bit like Yuna, who can both sing and skate!

And here she is (Novice) at the 2012 Asian Trophy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkXtOfcrDhY

(Ji-Hoon, hwaiting!)

venlac

On the Ice
Don't call this an anti-thread. Anyone, regardless of their eyelids are very pretty. And the fact that you are suggesting that people who don't know that eyeslids can be genetically different and ask about it are in any way against Yuna really makes me angry.

And yes, Yuna naturally has monolids and they are beautiful.

And like I said, many things, including false eyelashes (NOT SURGERY) can create double-eyelids. I know this because there are many wonderful Youtube make-up gurus of Asian descent.

Many celebrities, regardless of where they are from and their ethnicity, wear false eyelashes for appearances, films, and commercials to create a fuller effect bring drama to the eyes, an extra crease is just another effect of these extensions. (Again, NOT SURGERY.) -- Example: Beyonce.

And kudos to Shin Ji Hoon for trying to chase both her dreams! :) She's a bit like Yuna, who can both sing and skate!

NOT MONOPOLID
Among Asians, there are people who would get double eyelids when they have think makeup, If they have a outside shallow line over the eyes. ok?

here is 2013 worlds Yuna. Oh! There's a double eyelids. Did she had monopolid makeup and competed?
http://www.kado.net/news/photo/201305/625890_222882_111.jpg

aftertherain

Record Breaker
venlac, I'm not going to argue with you. I think you're misinterpreting my posts. I like Yuna. Have a good day.

deedee1

Record Breaker

Kudos to her, too! :clap: Always glad and am appreciative to see a number of skaters trying a come back against the odds. Especially in the Olympic season. Nobody knows what's going to happen in the end, but their making such braviest decision has already won tons of my respect! :yes:

YuNa is just gorgeous! :love: I am very impressed by her beauty all these years and have always thought that she has perfect face/features for make-up. With magic of make-up and costume, she is simply 'kaleidoscope' in her beauty; can be innocent, or elegant, cool, sexy, fierce, even flamboyant, etc., anything as she wishes. YuNa should be also going for acting career when she retires from competitive skating, Seriously. Along with her current great role as UNICEF Goodwill Ambasaddor, she can be a bigger Hollywood star than Zhang Ziyi or Lucy Liu.

I, as someone who has an asian-root myself, can assure you all, that there are many many beautiful people, both men and women, regardless monolids or doublelids. And if you allow me to explain a bit more, younger girls in my country, especially at some point in their late teens, may tend to consider doublelids 'more in fashion', try to put heavy makeups on eyelashes or eyeshadows, and some even try false eyelashes or eyetaping/gluing as Math says. Sugeries, however, are not so common as reported from time to time by int'l press/fashion magazines or as some of you may believe, I would say.

To those who donot like a post or two that may sound 'anti thread-like' tone to you: Let's think this way: they are just jealous of YuNa. so much. ;)

prettykeys

Medalist
I think anyone who's seen YuNa since she was a young girl and who is familiar with Asian eyes would agree that she doesn't really fit the bill of a typical "monolid", exactly. She has half a crease on her eyelids. I believe this is what venlac was referring to, so it's inaccurate to say she has either monolids or doublelids. She has something in between...rarer, but not unique to her. Depending on the makeup and/or shadowing or angles, they are more or less apparent.

I have the proper monolids, so I know what monolids look like, thanks!

shine

Record Breaker
NOT MONOPOLID
Among Asians, there are people who would get double eyelids when they have think makeup, If they have a outside shallow line over the eyes. ok?

here is 2013 worlds Yuna. Oh! There's a double eyelids. Did she had monopolid makeup and competed?
http://www.kado.net/news/photo/201305/625890_222882_111.jpg

Let me get this straight.... You are OFFENDED because someone suggested that Yuna Kim has monolids? Really?!

venlac

On the Ice
firt of all, I'm sorry about which my words were not polite and propered,
and about also i could not claim with detailed. I was so sensitive about such subjects....

Nadia01

Final Flight
I think anyone who's seen YuNa since she was a young girl and who is familiar with Asian eyes would agree that she doesn't really fit the bill of a typical "monolid", exactly. She has half a crease on her eyelids. I believe this is what venlac was referring to, so it's inaccurate to say she has either monolids or doublelids. She has something in between...rarer, but not unique to her. Depending on the makeup and/or shadowing or angles, they are more or less apparent.

I have the proper monolids, so I know what monolids look like, thanks!

What prettykeys said.

bebevia

On the Ice
I feel like we should talk about Shin's SIX PACKS instead of Yuna's eyelids. (BTW, that talked about double-lid photo was the worst of her, IMO, and doesn't even look like her; I had to do a further research to make sure it's not a model imitating her :rolleye: They should ditch whomever that shot that.)

Anyways, I may just start hating Shin:

To start figure skating at 12(so late!!!), and advance to Gold Medal within 2 yrs? (Korea is not a strong figure skating country, but still tough enough for mediocres to struggle.) She entred K-Pop Star (just as competitive as the Idols, I tell you) only along the way to cruise around bit of this and that, and this was just one of those experiments for her - which she advanced to the Top 10. She's not as modelesque looking like Yuna or Kiira, but who cares if she's got those amazing abs?

Any reason NOT to hate her? Seriously.

Nadia01

Final Flight
I feel like we should talk about Shin's SIX PACKS instead of Yuna's eyelids. (BTW, that talked about double-lid photo was the worst of her, IMO, and doesn't even look like her; I had to do a further research to make sure it's not a model imitating her :rolleye: They should ditch whomever that shot that.)

Well. I think she was heavily made up for the photos (she doesn't usually have this much make up for comps or general public appearances/interviews), but she did those photos. I don't care for the pictures w/ her in a white shirt because the photos look unnatural and have the too-edited look, but I like the ones w/ her in Kiss of the Vampire dress and the gorgeous backless gown.

prettykeys

Medalist
Well. I think she was heavily made up for the photos (she doesn't usually have this much make up for comps or general public appearances/interviews), but she did those photos. I don't care for the pictures w/ her in a white shirt because the photos look unnatural and have the too-edited look, but I like the ones w/ her in Kiss of the Vampire dress and the gorgeous backless gown.
Ditto!

I wanted to expand on my previous post a little bit because I was rushed at the time. What is damaging about declaring falsely that "YuNa has monolids" is that her shallower half-creases are, to reiterate, more apparent with certain makeup/lighting/photo angles than others. A lot of YuNa fans bristled upon seeing some old YouTube propaganda videos stating YuNa had plastic surgery because of this fact, where it compared photos where YuNa's creases were not so apparent vs. when they were more apparent (even though there are early childhood photographs of her with the same kind of eyes and I am not aware of any plastic surgical technique that creates shallow, halfway eyelid creases.)

It is a misunderstanding to think that, at least speaking for myself as a YuNa fan, it is offensive to declare anyone having monolids as having them. The main trend in South Korea (I cannot speak for other Asian countries) makes double eyelids more fashionable right now. Personally, I consider myself to have pretty monolid-ed eyes, as well as other individuals I have seen, and I prefer unique features that people have vs. the ones mass-produced by plastic surgeons.

I just dislike inaccuracies in general, especially one that would/could be used by those who don't like YuNa to continue to spread lies about her (i.e. that she's not a natural beauty.)

Here are some comparative photos of Asian female skaters:

Shizuka Arawaka - monolids
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/32/103515913_c8c162c90d_o.jpg

Michelle Kwan - doublelids
http://www.biography.com/imported/i...s/Profiles/K/Michelle-Kwan-11919948-1-402.jpg

YuNa Kim - you can see why I call her half-and-half :)
http://img.poptower.com/pic-18556/yu-na-kim.jpg?d=1024
http://nimg.nate.com/orgImg/pt/2013/05/14/201305140910770396_5191816acd82e.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-B6e_foO-Xtw/TbT8jXHB0iI/AAAAAAAABCE/i93BtkGUny4/s1600/610x-16.jpg

All of them have very pretty eyes. :)

^ Gosh, to me this is all so subtle. Comparing the picture of Michelle with the first picture of Yuna it just looks like Michelle is wearing more makeup.

I tried to do some research on Google Image, but this pair of eyes stopped me in my tracks. :) (She must be a professional eye model, right?)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kRtu3QFUkWc/Spx4lnPMBtI/AAAAAAAACAs/MyDiK25XzdI/s400/singlesmokey3.jpg

Anyway, bebevia is right. We should be talking about Ms. Shin. :) Here she is singing in the K-Pop contest. Haunting voice. :yes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3lrDTkJE60

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Prettykeys, after looking at the pictures, I can definitely see your point. I haven't noticed Yuna's eyes as much as you have (I was more aware of her spatial position and her costumes). Most of the pictures that I've seen were of her with thicker eyeliner on as opposed to more recent pictures of her with different makeup that make her creases more apparent. Also, I've never believed those videos, nor have I ever clicked on those links (no point in making myself angry).

Anyway, I think my issue with the whole thing is that people don't realize that monolid-ed individuals do have creases and as you pointed out, creases are more or less apparent depending on makeup (eyeliner, false lashes, mascara) and viewing angles.

I would just like to point out that I have monolids as well. My eyelids actually a little similar to Yuna's in that you can barely see creases (though, hers are certainly a little more prominent than mine), but I do still consider myself as having monolids and which is also why I said Yuna had monolids. And they do change depending on what kind of makeup I put on or how my face is angled--usually, I have a crease when my chin is tucked a little towards my body and I'm looking up at something at the same time. When I'm looking straight ahead, not so much.

Despite the fact that Yuna does have light creases, many people do consider Yuna as having monolids (as evidenced by the numerous "Yuna Kim Natural Monolid Makeup" videos there are on YouTube), which I don't think is offensive at all. Like me, others haven't really realized that she's got mono-and-a-half eyelids or perhaps they've noticed and still consider her as a monolid-ed individual.

And eyeliner on eyelids with smaller (or disappearing) creases makes it a little more difficult to notice the details (it took one of my friends half a year to realize I had monolids and she was of Asian descent like me).

I tried to do some research on Google Image, but this pair of eyes stopped me in my tracks. :) (She must be a professional eye model, right?)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kRtu3QFUkWc/Spx4lnPMBtI/AAAAAAAACAs/MyDiK25XzdI/s400/singlesmokey3.jpg

That's Jen from frmheadtotoe on YouTube. She's a makeup guru and one of the people I had described in an earlier post. She's got monolids too and has done a makeup tutorial inspired by Yuna before.