Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Kim Yu-na Ranked Most Marketable Korean Athlete

Kim Yu-na Ranked Most Marketable Korean Athlete

Figure skater Kim Yu-na placed 44th on the annual list of the 50 Most Marketable Athletes in the world by British sports media SportsPro in association with Eurosport, released on Monday.

More

Custom Title
    The problem with this ranking is some people are international stars. They can sell jersey in different markets. Kim (or Asada) can only sell stuff in their native market.

So to put them in the same league as Messi or Ronaldo is just reaching.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    The word "duh" comes to mind...

Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    The problem with this ranking is some people are international stars. They can sell jersey in different markets. Kim (or Asada) can only sell stuff in their native market.

Kim is quite popular in other Asian countries, too, even (shockingly) in Japan. Her image is used for commercials/endorsements outside Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    The word "duh" comes to mind...
    This.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Kim is quite popular in other Asian countries, too, even (shockingly) in Japan. Her image is used for commercials/endorsements outside Korea.
    Kim is popular in Japan because of her long time rivalry with Mao Asada, nothing's shocking about it. But if you think she can sell cookies or milk shake or beer in any other Asian countries, you must be her management team. No one outside of Korea will buy anything she's selling because of who she is.

Same story for Mao. Same story for any figure skating stars.

Custom Title
    Kim is popular in Japan because of her long time rivalry with Mao Asada, nothing's shocking about it. But if you think she can sell cookies or milk shake or beer in any other Asian countries, you must be her management team. No one outside of Korea will buy anything she's selling because of who she is.

DIdn't Janet Lynn do commercials in Japan after the '72 Olympics? Michelle Kwan had a deal with a Chinese tire company, as I recall.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    DIdn't Janet Lynn do commercials in Japan after the '72 Olympics? Michelle Kwan had a deal with a Chinese tire company, as I recall.
    I mean in this era. The figure skating stars in past decades were global stars. The stars now are struggling to pay bills.

I guess that's why Kim is number 44 and Neymar is number 1. I know I want to buy a Gillette razor from him.

http://noticias.limao.com.br/imagens...mar_306(4).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by janaj
    Michelle Kwan had a deal with a Chinese tire company, as I recall.
    I have this poster.

http://imageshack.us/a/img477/6155/item153204wm.jpg

Michelle Kwan and Maxxis tires: they both perform under pressure! (34 pounds per square inch, in the case of the tires.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I guess that's why Kim is number 44 and Neymar is number 1. I know I want to buy a Gillette razor from him.

http://noticias.limao.com.br/imagens...mar_306(4).jpg
    Newho?...ah, yes, did the sharks find him at the end?

I have this poster.

http://imageshack.us/a/img477/6155/item153204wm.jpg

Michelle Kwan and Maxxis tires: they both perform under pressure! (34 pounds per square inch, in the case of the tires.)
    The creator of this marriage of rotations and radials was a marketing genius, but he didn't take it far enough. If I were in charge of a TV commercial for the campaign, I would have done a kind of montage shot with Michelle going into a spin that becomes a blur as the camera zooms in...then the shot pulls back, revealing the rapidly spinning tire on a sports car that is growling down the road. How's that for originality?

Custom Title
    Ooh, neat image, Robeye.

And didn't Michelle do some sort of promotion in Malaysia recently?

I wonder whether any of the European skating champs (especially Carolina, who's so glamorous) have successful promotional images in any other EU countries. I bet Kostner would be a hit in German-speaking countries, since she's from that Alpine part of Italy.

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar

BTW, Virtue/Moir starred in a Toyota commercial for the Japanese market a couple of years ago.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Ooh, neat image, Robeye.

And didn't Michelle do some sort of promotion in Malaysia recently?

I wonder whether any of the European skating champs (especially Carolina, who's so glamorous) have successful promotional images in any other EU countries. I bet Kostner would be a hit in German-speaking countries, since she's from that Alpine part of Italy.
    Michelle did a promotion in Singapore--for a shopping mall with an artificial ice rink. It's a combination of skill and star power. If Kiira Korpi had Yu Na's skills, I'm sure she would get endorsements outside of Finland.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    My general impression (which anyone who knows better is obviously free to correct) is that there is no European skater with strongly established, transnational marketing power across the EU. Possibly the nearest thing to such a pan-European star was Katarina Witt, who was hampered (from a commercial point of view) because she skated for the GDR for the best part of her career.

Someone like Katarina would, IMO, rake in the loot today, despite the much-lamented decline of skating popularity in recent years (or, as jenaj suggests, if Kiira were to suddenly start skating like Yuna).

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast