Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 151

Thread: Kim Yu-na Ranked Most Marketable Korean Athlete

  1. #1
    Keepin' it real gsk8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,113

    Kim Yu-na Ranked Most Marketable Korean Athlete

    Figure skater Kim Yu-na placed 44th on the annual list of the 50 Most Marketable Athletes in the world by British sports media SportsPro in association with Eurosport, released on Monday.

    More

  2. #2
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,881

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,672
    The problem with this ranking is some people are international stars. They can sell jersey in different markets. Kim (or Asada) can only sell stuff in their native market.

    So to put them in the same league as Messi or Ronaldo is just reaching.

  4. #4
    Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,257
    The word "duh" comes to mind...

  5. #5
    Six Point Zero Krislite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Yunaverse
    Posts
    1,519
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    The problem with this ranking is some people are international stars. They can sell jersey in different markets. Kim (or Asada) can only sell stuff in their native market.

    So to put them in the same league as Messi or Ronaldo is just reaching.
    Kim is quite popular in other Asian countries, too, even (shockingly) in Japan. Her image is used for commercials/endorsements outside Korea.

  6. #6
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,057
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    The word "duh" comes to mind...
    This.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Kim is quite popular in other Asian countries, too, even (shockingly) in Japan. Her image is used for commercials/endorsements outside Korea.
    Kim is popular in Japan because of her long time rivalry with Mao Asada, nothing's shocking about it. But if you think she can sell cookies or milk shake or beer in any other Asian countries, you must be her management team. No one outside of Korea will buy anything she's selling because of who she is.

    Same story for Mao. Same story for any figure skating stars.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,174
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Kim is popular in Japan because of her long time rivalry with Mao Asada, nothing's shocking about it. But if you think she can sell cookies or milk shake or beer in any other Asian countries, you must be her management team. No one outside of Korea will buy anything she's selling because of who she is.

    Same story for Mao. Same story for any figure skating stars.
    DIdn't Janet Lynn do commercials in Japan after the '72 Olympics? Michelle Kwan had a deal with a Chinese tire company, as I recall.

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,672
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    DIdn't Janet Lynn do commercials in Japan after the '72 Olympics? Michelle Kwan had a deal with a Chinese tire company, as I recall.
    I mean in this era. The figure skating stars in past decades were global stars. The stars now are struggling to pay bills.

  10. #10
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,057
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    The problem with this ranking is some people are international stars. They can sell jersey in different markets. Kim (or Asada) can only sell stuff in their native market.

    So to put them in the same league as Messi or Ronaldo is just reaching.
    I guess that's why Kim is number 44 and Neymar is number 1. I know I want to buy a Gillette razor from him.

    http://noticias.limao.com.br/imagens...mar_306(4).jpg

    Quote Originally Posted by janaj
    Michelle Kwan had a deal with a Chinese tire company, as I recall.
    I have this poster.

    http://imageshack.us/a/img477/6155/item153204wm.jpg

    Michelle Kwan and Maxxis tires: they both perform under pressure! (34 pounds per square inch, in the case of the tires.)

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I guess that's why Kim is number 44 and Neymar is number 1. I know I want to buy a Gillette razor from him.

    http://noticias.limao.com.br/imagens...mar_306(4).jpg
    Newho?...ah, yes, did the sharks find him at the end?


    I have this poster.

    http://imageshack.us/a/img477/6155/item153204wm.jpg

    Michelle Kwan and Maxxis tires: they both perform under pressure! (34 pounds per square inch, in the case of the tires.)
    The creator of this marriage of rotations and radials was a marketing genius, but he didn't take it far enough. If I were in charge of a TV commercial for the campaign, I would have done a kind of montage shot with Michelle going into a spin that becomes a blur as the camera zooms in...then the shot pulls back, revealing the rapidly spinning tire on a sports car that is growling down the road. How's that for originality?

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,957
    Ooh, neat image, Robeye.

    And didn't Michelle do some sort of promotion in Malaysia recently?

    I wonder whether any of the European skating champs (especially Carolina, who's so glamorous) have successful promotional images in any other EU countries. I bet Kostner would be a hit in German-speaking countries, since she's from that Alpine part of Italy.

  13. #13
    Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,729
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Kim is popular in Japan because of her long time rivalry with Mao Asada, nothing's shocking about it. But if you think she can sell cookies or milk shake or beer in any other Asian countries, you must be her management team. No one outside of Korea will buy anything she's selling because of who she is.

    Same story for Mao. Same story for any figure skating stars.
    BTW, Virtue/Moir starred in a Toyota commercial for the Japanese market a couple of years ago.

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Ooh, neat image, Robeye.

    And didn't Michelle do some sort of promotion in Malaysia recently?

    I wonder whether any of the European skating champs (especially Carolina, who's so glamorous) have successful promotional images in any other EU countries. I bet Kostner would be a hit in German-speaking countries, since she's from that Alpine part of Italy.
    Michelle did a promotion in Singapore--for a shopping mall with an artificial ice rink. It's a combination of skill and star power. If Kiira Korpi had Yu Na's skills, I'm sure she would get endorsements outside of Finland.

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I wonder whether any of the European skating champs (especially Carolina, who's so glamorous) have successful promotional images in any other EU countries. I bet Kostner would be a hit in German-speaking countries, since she's from that Alpine part of Italy.
    My general impression (which anyone who knows better is obviously free to correct) is that there is no European skater with strongly established, transnational marketing power across the EU. Possibly the nearest thing to such a pan-European star was Katarina Witt, who was hampered (from a commercial point of view) because she skated for the GDR for the best part of her career.

    Someone like Katarina would, IMO, rake in the loot today, despite the much-lamented decline of skating popularity in recent years (or, as jenaj suggests, if Kiira were to suddenly start skating like Yuna).

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •