Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Kim Yu-na Ranked Most Marketable Korean Athlete

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    Michelle did a promotion in Singapore--for a shopping mall with an artificial ice rink. It's a combination of skill and star power. If Kiira Korpi had Yu Na's skills, I'm sure she would get endorsements outside of Finland.
    Yipes! Of course it was Singapore and not Malaysia. How could I have made that mistake? (Whoops.) Thanks, Jenaj. One thing that made Michelle such an asset there is that Singapore has a large Chinese population: I just looked it up, and ethnic Chinese make up almost 75% of the population. So a Chinese-American person of achievement, especially a congenial star like Michelle, would have extra appeal in Singapore, just as YuNa has extra impact among Korean-Americans such as my friends across the street from me. (Yippee! I have neighbors who are willing to talk skating with me.)

Golden411, that's a good point about Virtue/Moir. Japan has long been famous for paying celebrities from the States and elsewhere very well to appear in ads. In fact, many stars who wouldn't deign to appear in a TV commercial in the U.S. will happily sell Japanese products. So why not skaters? I know that both Virtue/Moir and Davis/White have huge followings in Japan, and didn't both couples issue statements of sympathy to their fans after the quake and tsunami?

Banned
    If your familiar with Korean media
    that title will be dethroned soon by this girl: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son_Yeon-Jae

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    that title will be dethroned soon by this girl: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son_Yeon-Jae
    Um, probably not until AFTER Sochi. Yuna is too big of a phenomenon, especially in the Olympic season.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Um, probably not until AFTER Sochi. Yuna is too big of a phenomenon, especially in the Olympic season.
    I agree, but I also think that Son Yeon-jae needs to win a title at a major event first that will cement her place as a sports star. She's already got endorsements, sure, but nowhere near as many as Yuna does.

On that note, she was simply delightful at the Olympics. If she hadn't dropped the clubs, I think she could've had that bronze medal around her neck.

~high art~
    She will never be a tenth as popular as Yuna.

Custom Title
    Slightly OT: 165cm (5ft 5in) and 37kg (a shade under 82 lbs)? That can't be right...can it?

Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    Slightly OT: 165cm (5ft 5in) and 37kg (a shade under 82 lbs)? That can't be right...can it?
    I would hope not. OGM Yevgeniya Kanayeva is 5 ft. 7.5 in. and she's about 110 lbs. I'm thinking maybe the site hasn't been updated?

Custom Title
    I wouldn't say Son is popular in Korea. She is more like a star made by marketing in a dream to make 2nd YuNa. I don't think rhythmic gymnastics will ever be popular in Korea.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    I wouldn't say Son is popular in Korea. She is more like a star made by marketing in a dream to make 2nd YuNa. I don't think rhythmic gymnastics will ever be popular in Korea.
    Yeon Jae actually was the most popular ranked Korean athlete last year beating Kim Yuna and Park Korean swimmer something, its also worth noting she is managed by the old agency of Yuna IB sports, though seems most Yuna fans in Korea don't like Son.

while she may not have the medal records of Kanaeva who is like the Kim Yuna of RG how ironic but
    she is getting medals internationally so she is a star already, the media hype she is getting at home at least

~high art~
    It can hardly be taken seriously. Her constant media exposure isn't helping her garner more public interest or establish a devoted group of fans. Yeonjae is basically a cute pretty innocent girl whose own achievement as an athlete is merely an added bonus.

Her media attention has been driven by Yuna and still owes a whole lot to Yuna's existence. That's why many Yuna fans don't like her.

Yeon Jae actually was the most popular ranked Korean athlete last year beating Kim Yuna and Park Korean swimmer something, its also worth noting she is managed by the old agency of Yuna IB sports, though seems most Yuna fans in Korea don't like Son.

while she may not have the medal records of Kanaeva who is like the Kim Yuna of RG how ironic but
    she is getting medals internationally so she is a star already, the media hype she is getting at home at least
    you mean the IB generated hype machine? IB is known for that.. hyping their athletes and actually it's not like yuna fans don't like son but IB in general.

if she wins a major title then let's start talking.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Moment View Post

Her media attention has been driven by Yuna and still owes a whole lot to Yuna's existence. That's why many Yuna fans don't like her.
    true its more like IB sports desperate for another star
    or maybe they want to have her popular to humiliate Yuna as say to her face we can make another star as good or even better than Yuna, so I understand why most Yuna fans don't like her.

Not to offend anyone here; it's more like Yuna is like the E. Kanayeva of figure skating, but both are dazzling in their respective fields. (Kanayeva didn't take any time off after her first OGM win either--but yes, Yuna is the first in her skating lineage.)

Anyway, that's irrelevant. Yeon Jae isn't "merely" a cute girl with an added bonus of an athlete. She's an athlete with an added bonus of of being cute. While Son Yeon Jae hasn't won any international titles, her sixth place finish in the AA Finals of RG shouldn't be diminished or scoffed at. I highly doubt she's riding on Yuna's coattails in terms of working hard at what she does. Like Yuna, she's got a job to do and she's doing it.

And if I'm not mistaken, she's got a lot of admiration for Yuna as well, so why the bitter twinges I see from some of you guys? Though, I do agree on holding off the hype and exposure until she actually wins or medals at a major event.

ETA: I forgot IB and Yuna had a business thing in the past. Hm.

Heh.

She's cute, but doubtful. She hasn't won anything big to really solidify her position.

And she'll never be able to dethrone Yuna, should latter wins another OGM in Sochi.

~high art~
    I don't dislike Yeonjae. I am actually sorry that she gets so much hate (not only by Yuna fans) lately because of excessive hype.

I didn't mean she didn't work hard or anything. It's just that people don't care that much until she starts winning something. She was able to attract media because she was pretty and considered by some as a more affordable "CF star athlete" replacing Yuna who received (still does) a huge chunk of money for her endorsements.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast