Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Kim Yu-na Ranked Most Marketable Korean Athlete

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Not to offend anyone here; it's more like Yuna is like the E. Kanayeva of figure skating, but both are dazzling in their respective fields. (Kanayeva didn't take any time off after her first OGM win either--but yes, Yuna is the first in her skating lineage.)

Anyway, that's irrelevant. Yeon Jae isn't "merely" a cute girl with an added bonus of an athlete. She's an athlete with an added bonus of of being cute. While Son Yeon Jae hasn't won any international titles, her sixth place finish in the AA Finals of RG shouldn't be diminished or scoffed at. I highly doubt she's riding on Yuna's coattails in terms of working hard at what she does. Like Yuna, she's got a job to do and she's doing it.

And if I'm not mistaken, she's got a lot of admiration for Yuna as well, so why the bitter twinges I see from some of you guys? Though, I do agree on holding off the hype and exposure until she actually wins or medals at a major event.

ETA: I forgot IB and Yuna had a business thing in the past. Hm.
    In korea, there is controversial about Sports Star's Beauty marketing. Like this article... 'Sponsor of the sports star is depend on the beauty?' http://www.etoday.co.kr/news/section/newsview.php?idxno=724915
    And she is at the middle of the controversy. she has been had maketing 'sell a pretty face', rather than gain respect as an athlete.

Since when she finished 33rd in 2010 worlds, She gained a lot of popularity with cute and pretty face, she was spotlighted by media, she became a sport star. Large companies became a sponsor for her.

In korea, to be a sports star, they need "success story" to earn the respect as a sportsman and should be world-class in their sports, of course they should have also star power. Many of sports stars are started-up in difficult environment, and made history in korean sport.
    Yes, She has star power. but she didn't had success story that inspire people and get respect as athlete. when she was even not ranked in top 30, she have got a lot of popularity and sponsers with her pretty .
    she was so different with other usual korean sports stars..

By the way, I didn't think i'd argue about Son or korean athletes in figure skating forum...

Banned
    I see that looks are important but so does on other countries, you will get way more endorsement when you have looks to capitalize on your sporting career, she is overhyped but on this wiki she has won some World Cup medals this year though not gold: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Rh...rld_Cup_Series

so is it true she is now the most sought after female athlete in Korea surpassing Kim Yuna ?

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    I see that looks are important but so does on other countries, you will get way more endorsement when you have looks to capitalize on your sporting career, she is overhyped but on this wiki she has won some World Cup medals this year though not gold: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Rh...rld_Cup_Series

so is it true she is now the most sought after female athlete in Korea surpassing Kim Yuna ?
    No. Yuna become untouchable after she won WC w/ 2 clean performances back-to-back.

Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    Slightly OT: 165cm (5ft 5in) and 37kg (a shade under 82 lbs)? That can't be right...can it?
    Other sources say she is 157 cm (5'2").

no. maybe in your world.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    no. maybe in your world.
    not its not me who thinks its from an article
    and I like Yuna btw

not its not me who thinks its from an article
    and I like Yuna btw
    what article are you talking about?

btw, i have no problem if korea will crown son as the next yuna or even surpass her. but it's silly at this point to push her ON THIS THREAD especially she hasn't done any major to earn it. good for her winning some medals, good for her appearing in ads/commercials but until she won a major title then let's start talking. there are other female athletes in korea who are good in their sports, who won major tournaments, but because IB is desperately trying to push son as the next big thing or even surpass yuna's popularity or influence is laughable. i think IB contributed to the pressure and hype that yuna received back then and they got lucky that yuna backed that up by winning.

Does anyone remember tennis player Anna Kournikova? She was hailed as the most beautiful tennis player in the world and through endorsements became the highest paid female athlete in the sport (maybe in any sport?) even though she never won even one tournament. She still tops the lists as "the hottest female tennis player of all time" (the men, of course, are much hotter).

http://desktop.freewallpaper4.me/pre...kournikova.jpg

Factoid: Anna made People Magazine's list of the 50 most beautiful people in the world in 1998 (age 16). Michelle Kwan was on the list in 2000.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Other sources say she is 157 cm (5'2").
    I was assuming that the listed weight was way off; but the real answer is that she's kinda runty! (joke, so don't anyone get their panties in a bunch. I feel my misjudgment is understandable, though. Just looking at her proportions in the photo, I'm probably not the only person who thought she was taller than 157cm (5ft 2in)).

Here is Chinese rhythmic gymnast Dai Fei-fei. She is listed as 172 cm, 53 kg (almost 5 foot 8, 117 pounds).

http://images2.sina.com/english/spor...0819054143.jpg
    Last edited by Mathman; 05-21-2013 at 07:02 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Does anyone remember tennis player Anna Kournikova? She was hailed as the most beautiful tennis player in the world and through endorsements became the highest paid female athlete in the sport (maybe in any sport?) even though she never won even one tournament. She still tops the lists as "the hottest female tennis player of all time" (the men, of course, are much hotter).

http://desktop.freewallpaper4.me/pre...kournikova.jpg

Factoid: Anna made People Magazine's list of the 50 most beautiful people in the world in 1998 (age 16). Michelle Kwan was on the list in 2000.
    I was trying to remember Kornikova's name because she occurred to me immediately as an example that it isn't always accomplishment that makes an athlete attractive (pun not intended) to corporate advertisers. It happens that YuNa is also just about Korea's best athlete, so for once the system is benefiting the person of greatest merit.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I was trying to remember Kornikova's name because she occurred to me immediately as an example that it isn't always accomplishment that makes an athlete attractive (pun not intended) to corporate advertisers. It happens that YuNa is also just about Korea's best athlete, so for once the system is benefiting the person of greatest merit.
    That is so true. There is no particular reason why a dominant athlete should happen also to be a stunning beauty. it is Yuna's good fortune that she is.

Custom Title

I am living in Korea. Trust me. Around 90% of her media buzz comes from marketing. There are rivalries between companies behind this marketing. Samsung Electronics has hired YuNa in its promotion last few years and its rival LG electronics is backing up YJ Son. SBS gained huge profit from airing YuNa's competitions in the last 7 years. Its rival company, MBC wanted to buy the ISU broadcasting right after YuNa became hugely popular but ISU chose SBS because SBS has long been the ISU partner in Korea even before YuNa. Now, MBC is trying to sell rhythmic gymnastics in Korea, instead.

Son has never actually won a medal in her international events. ( unless you countthe 3rd place in asian games ).
    The medals she earned is not all-round medals, rather for individual medals ( hoop, ball, etc) so technicallly, the highest she gone up was 4th place in Minsk and Sofia cup. Not to mention Minsk is a level B event, and the first place was a girl who just debuted as a senior.......and none of the top contenders were in Sofia cup.

Anyways, I still believe Yuna deserves the most marketable athlete title

By the way, I think we should be careful when we talk about Son. She and her agency sued several people online because they made "comments" that offended them :P

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    I am living in Korea. Trust me. Around 90% of her media buzz comes from marketing. There are rivalries between companies behind this marketing. Samsung Electronics has hired YuNa in its promotion last few years and its rival LG electronics is backing up YJ Son. SBS gained huge profit from airing YuNa's competitions in the last 7 years. Its rival company, MBC wanted to buy the ISU broadcasting right after YuNa became hugely popular but ISU chose SBS because SBS has long been the ISU partner in Korea even before YuNa. Now, MBC is trying to sell rhythmic gymnastics in Korea, instead.
    IB sports is a big agency in Korea ? because she looks being heavily marketed at as the next Kim Yuna
    they are probably trying to show Yuna that they can make other stars as good as her after their fallout but the achievements wont back that up, besides the RG equivalent for Kim Yuna has already happened http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yevgeniya_Kanayeva

it was just interesting how many Yuna fans dont like her

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast