Kim Yu-na Ranked Most Marketable Korean Athlete | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Kim Yu-na Ranked Most Marketable Korean Athlete

vera01

Final Flight
@ Melon

"Not all the TOP athletes because the Olympic rule for RG is that they can only send 2 Athletes per country. Son was "lucky" to be placed 5th because of this rule"

Plz explain this to me again because it doesn't make sense to me...and using the word "LUCKY" don't you think it sounds a bit harsh...i'd rather say "HARD WORK"

You said that if Son did not make mistakes, she could've easily won bronze in another post.

What is a difference between saying that and saying Son was lucky to place 5th in London?

"She also made mistakes in ribbons where she made a knot at the end, and her shoes also fell off during one of her routine. Fun fact, Many RG fans were furious because her scores were high even with those mistakes"

yes she had a very small tiny knot which was not even noticeable (even in HD) many RG anti-fans made big fuss about it which i thought it was silly and unnecessary...according to the rule "A knot is only a 0.20 deduction if it doesn't disrupt the patterns"...her patterns was just fine...so when the scores are out of a total of 120 points, 0.20 doesn't make a big difference in the grand scheme and her score was desirable and fair...I think those anti's just exaggerate and saying her ranking was high moreover, her shoes also fell off... yes i believe there was a penalty for that but RG can perform without a shoes too its not a big deal!

It wasn't RG anti fans that made a big fuss about it. The discussion was started(or at least, from what I saw) at RG forum. Why would RG anti-fans bother to write a post in RG forum?

Again you don't make any sense here...That event which your talking about was competition in Calais, France...now let me make things clear for you...

Son began her 2013 season with the following IMPORTANT competitions :

1) Gazprom Cup/Moscow Grand Prix
2) Lisbon Cup...side note (Days before the competition, Son caught flu and is reported to vomit as a result of strict diet) Fortunately, she managed to recover and grabbed a medal...Such a brave athlete!!!
3) Pesaro World Cup
4) Sofia World Cup
5) 2013 National Team Tryouts
5) Minsk World Cup
6) Asian Championships in Tashkent, Uzbekistan
7) LG Whisen Rhythmic All Stars 2013*

Now here is the list of the participants who performed at her gala show

* Son Yeon Yae
* Liubov Charkashyna
* Melitina Staniouta
* Alina Maksymenko
* Anna Rizatdinova
* Alexandra Piscupescu
* Italian group (+Elisa Blanchi, Elisa Santoni, Angelica Savrayuk and Romina Laurito )
* Russian group

if you notice there were also some TOP gymnasts who didn't compete in Calais, France now think about it little bit... why didn't those TOP gymnasts who performed at her gala show didn't compete in France, in Calais too?!
Don't you think she deserve a little break here?!

Err... I don't remember any RG competitions being held in Calais this year.

Do you mean Thiais Grand Prix or Corbeil-Essonnes World Cup? BUT even if you meant those competitions, none of the gymnasts you've listed here had to skip competition to participate a gala show.

Also note that none of the Russians who compete as an individual participated in gala show.

She medaled all round in just ONE competition out of 6. And why would you even consider Rhythmic All Stars 2013 as competitions? it's GALA, not competition. You do realize only Minsk World Cup is considered Grade A,( not A) competition? Plus, non of the top RGymnasts were there. And she didn't medal all round either.

Actually, it was Sofia World Cup that was considered as an category A World Cup event... Though some other competitions that Son competed in had much stronger entry.
Instead, I would say that it was Asian Championships that none of the top gymnasts competed. Only "top" gymnasts were Son and other Chinese gymnast, who won two golds in EF.

Anyway, why was Son brought to this discussion in first place?

cooper

Medalist
why are we talking about son and rg here?? until she won a major title there's no need to this pointless comparison.. and rhythmic gymnastics is a sport?? if it's a sport in the eyes of others then they should let wushu be part in the next olys.. at least fs has jumps..

and i'm done.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
its starting to read like Yuna fans vs Sonbots :disapp:
it will be disturbing if someone registered for the sake of defending Son

to be fair, Son does get many media coverage in Korea after the Olympics
and is heavily promoted as the Kim Yuna of RG which imo isn't true
the only similarity they ahve is they are pioneers of their sports
she doesn't have the records of Kim http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Yuna nor Kanaeva http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yevgeniya_Kanayeva
Son did win an all-around gold but it was Asian Championships http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Asian_Rhythmic_Gymnastics_Championships

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
why are we talking about son and rg here?? until she won a major title there's no need to this pointless comparison.. and rhythmic gymnastics is a sport?? if it's a sport in the eyes of others then they should let wushu be part in the next olys.. at least fs has jumps..

and i'm done.

I don't claim to be an expert, but rhythmic gymnastics is definitely a sport! I am amazed at the flexibility of those girls.

And it's not just hard core RG fans either. In fact this video of a rhythmic gymnastics routine went viral earlier this year: http://mashable.com/2013/04/29/gymnast-viral-video/
It got more than 10 million hits on YouTube.

And it is an Olympic sport..so...??

MiRé

Match Penalty
@ Melon
Still it doesn't make sense to me...you are out of words...
Please, don't blame me for your inability to comprehend things. You're out of words because you cannot defend to the statement I made.
Her ribbon was very difficult/risky routine so "little things" wont do much damage...by the way RG fans are not "judges"
So were the other ribbon routines from other athletes. Of course the RG fans are not judges. And us FS fans are not judges. However, there are times when us FS fans can pick out mistakes that judges made. Same goes for RG

yes she was young (in her early teenage years) I think every parent will to their level best to accomplish their child's dream no matter what it takes...especially if they know that their child got talent am i right...try to understand what i'm saying...by the way that's not a false information and i wont waste my time to make you believe it...

In the TV show, Son mentioned how she spent $30,000 a month before the Asian Games. That's when she was 17 Years old. pretty sure that's not in her EARLY teenage years. Of course her parents would do whatever it takes for their children, but it should be done in a right way. My ultimate point is this. Son is receiving all the endorsement and sponsorships. With the money she earned, she has no problem training outside of her country, like Russia. Unfortunately, even with those expensive training, her highest medal earned was from Asian Championship. There are countless amount of talented athletes in South Korea who earned their Gold medal from olympics without single endorsements or sponsorships. Take a look at Yang Hak Seon who earned Gold in gymnastics vaults. He lived in a VINYL house, but earned his medal. Now I'll ask you, does expensive training really bring good results? Shin a Ram,a fencing player, earned her medals without any endorsements. There are athletes like Park Tae Hwan who's relying on funds from PUBLIC instead of swimming federation. He was the first Asian swimmer to win 400M in 2008 Olympics, and he's not being funded right now. I'm not trying to say Son has no talent. But records show, and she still has no strong competition records. However, unlike other athletes, she's still getting numerous endorsements and sporsors. Why can't they offer those to athletes like Park or Yang? Why is IB holding on to Son so much?

......???? What are you implying here ???? why make things look so ugly and complicated ?!
how's that ugly and complicated? If you have money you can buy a car. If I have money I can have Justin Bieber in my backyard singing happy birthday to me. It's logic.

OMG you are so confused...RG and FS ARE BOTH DIFFERENT in their own fields...get it ?

Son won a bronze, silver and gold medals and i believe after 5 or 6 (WC'c) she placed the 2nd world wide in hoop...don't believe me check this link

http://www.fig-gymnastics.com/vsite...y/0,10853,5187-195619-212842-nav-list,00.html
Of course they're different field. But get this. Do we praise Yuna because she won the SP in 2011? No. We care about the actual winner of the event, Miki Ando. You're just like the Korean media, making fuss about how Son is amazing and winning a bronze in hoop. What the Korean media doesn't tell is how she's placed 7th or 9th OVERALL. Individual routines don't really matter. Stop spreading that she earned brozne silver and gold medals. You make it sound as if she earned and all-round title. And that's EXACTLY what IB sports and the Korean media is doing, making it look like Son has earned those medals when Son only earned it individually.

I will never compare Son and Yuna i admire them both...and its offensive to me (as her fan) that you are humiliating Son...
there is a difference between humilation and stating facts. Am I humiliating Yuna when I say she placed 2nd in Worlds 2011? No.

I think i'm arguing with the wrong person here who have no clue about RG nor about Son...i tried my best to clarify things for you but it seems like you are still in denial...pity...
it looks like you're the on who's stil in denial. Fact is, Son is not as talented as the media portrays.
Son was brought up on this thread because a poster in page 2 said Son would dethrone Yuna as most marketable athlete in South Korea. Son is getting many sponsors and what not, but she's not doing well in competitions. Why can't Park or Yang receive those endorsements and actually focus on their hard work? They could become even bigger and talented when they get proper trainings. Son is receiving those, but the results are not promising. If Son wants to bring he reputation up, she needs to train harder and earn all round medals.

Why do you think Yuna had so much pressure going in to 2010 Olympics? NBC states that she wrote a short essay on the pressure she feels, and she said the whole nation might turn their back of her if she doesn't get the Gold medal.Unfortunately, Gold medal is really important in Korea, but When did Korea started to praise athletes who didn't medal like Son? Why is she getting so much endorsements despite the fact that her competitive records doesn't come close to other Korean Athletes?

I'm not hating Son as much as you think. It's just ridculous how she's getting all these buffs, but still hasn't delieved a great result to South Korea.

cooper

Medalist
I don't claim to be an expert, but rhythmic gymnastics is definitely a sport! I am amazed at the flexibility of those girls.

And it's not just hard core RG fans either. In fact this video of a rhythmic gymnastics routine went viral earlier this year: http://mashable.com/2013/04/29/gymnast-viral-video/
It got more than 10 million hits on YouTube.

And it is an Olympic sport..so...??

like what i said if rg is a sport then they should allow wushu to be an olympic sport.. :rolleye: at least for me it's far more fascinating..

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
like what i said if rg is a sport then they should allow wushu to be an olympic sport.. :rolleye: at least for me it's far more fascinating..

I have a lot of respect for Wushu -- I have a good friend who does it. But I definitely appreciate the skill it takes to be a rhythmic gymnast.

cooper

Medalist
the ioc is trying to get rid of wrestling now.. at least for some smaller countries they can participate... they got rid of baseball and softball..they said that the US dominated this sport.. oh please.. team japan, cuba, south korea and other south american countries are already getting medals.. they should get rid of of rg that no one really cares about.. except for some eastern european countries.. the sport is dominated by russia.. what can i say politics will always come into play..

gmyers

Record Breaker
the ioc is trying to get rid of wrestling now.. at least for some smaller countries they can participate... they got rid of baseball and softball..they said that the US dominated this sport.. oh please.. team japan, cuba, south korea and other south american countries are already getting medals.. they should get rid of of rg that no one really cares about.. except for some eastern european countries.. the sport is dominated by russia.. what can i say politics will always come into play..

It will always be a fact that Canada won the first rg gold!!

gmyers

Record Breaker
but led by the soviet boycotts :laugh:

That's true but Canada went from gold to barely in the top 10! 2 from soviet union and 2 from Bulgaria really dominated in 1988 and then you have Poland and Hungary but the issue is more to me Canada went from 1 to 10 with different athletes and in 1984 beat two Romanians.

A country dominating an event shouldn't matter as the us wins some swimming relays every 4 years. Because they have a huge swimming program and can get the good swimmers for all the relays and abolishing some swimming events for non competitiveness is not addressed.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
That's true but Canada went from gold to barely in the top 10! 2 from soviet union and 2 from Bulgaria really dominated in 1988 and then you have Poland and Hungary but the issue is more to me Canada went from 1 to 10 with different athletes and in 1984 beat two Romanians.

A country dominating an event shouldn't matter as the us wins some swimming relays every 4 years. Because they have a huge swimming program and can get the good swimmers for all the relays and abolishing some swimming events for non competitiveness is not addressed.

agreed, I don't think just because a sport is dominant in a country doesnt mean it should not be in the Olympics
siwmming is dominated by US and Australia, even Figure Skating before singles were dominated by the US and pairs/dance by Soviets
also gymnastics is one of the main attractions in Olympics and sells tickets , based on London, RG stadium was fully booked unlike wrestling
so I don't think its going anytime soon.

cooper

Medalist
agreed, I don't think just because a sport is dominant in a country doesnt mean it should not be in the Olympics
siwmming is dominated by US and Australia, even Figure Skating before singles were dominated by the US and pairs/dance by Soviets
also gymnastics is one of the main attractions in Olympics and sells tickets , based on London, RG stadium was fully booked unlike wrestling
so I don't think its going anytime soon.

if they solely based it in attendance then they should also get rid of table tennis.. or equestrian..

@ vera01

"You said that if Son did not make mistakes, she could've easily won bronze in another post."

yes your right i did say that...

"What is a difference between saying that and saying Son was lucky to place 5th in London?''

Don't get me wrong , but read my post again...i just copy-pasted what "@ Melon" mentioned earlier in his/her post...i was trying to understand WHY did she/he say that "she was lucky" which i thought it was harsh...

why do you keep insisting of bringing son into this forum?? until she won a major title then who cares..

US dominated london olys.. but because team australia was just bad..and the french team, the chinese team... heck other countries like south africa.. netherlands.. they produced some of the top swimmers in the world.. and you cannot abolish some of those events because the US dominated.. hey.. that was the reason why they got rid of baseballl and softball in the first place!!!! because the US dominated.. why not RG? why not table tennis?? rg is dominated by russia.. table tennis is dominated by china.. hmm..

aftertherain

Record Breaker
On an unrelated note (though, I'm not sure what is considered "related to the topic" in this thread anymore), I was looking at some of J. Estina's advertisements featuring Son Yeon Jae and they really need to learn how to style her better. Most of these adverts made her look like she's in her late 20s or early 30s. You know there is a problem with styling when Yuna Kim, who is only slightly older than you, manages to look much more youthful than you in the advertisements for the same company that she's featured in.

I disagree, even though the horse is the "athlete." Equestrianism is a gorgeous and suspenseful sport to watch, with an ancient tradition. Not only that; it's also one of the very few sports where women and men compete on the same team and on an equal footing (marksmanship is the only other one I can think of offhand).

But really, it's the very variety of Olympic sports that makes the Olympics interesting, and every one of them has followers, even if you and I find particular ones weird. Most of these sports can be interesting (especially with an adept TV commentator) at the world-class level. Table tennis is practically a killer sport in China, and my eyes almost popped the first time I saw it played at an elite level. The ball flies faster than a speeding bullet. One of the most popular sports, boxing, is one I hate to watch, but I don't make the mistake of thinking it should be dropped. (Especially Olympic-style boxing, because the object is not to knock anyone out, thank God.)

The benefit of having different sports that different countries specialize in cannot be underestimated. For example, I think Bhutan specializes in archery, and the modern pentathlon often has medalists from Sweden and Hungary. And tiny little Jamaica seems to be a motherlode for sprinters. This gives many nations a chance to feel pride at the Olympics.

Conversely, it's also fun for me to watch sports that my country, the U.S., doesn't tend to excel in, because I get to enjoy an event I don't normally get exposed to in the course of everyday life. But there's another benefit in all these different sports, which is that frequently they demand different body types. So you get the example of the German speed skater Karin Enke, who began as a figure skater but had a body type incompatible with top-level skating. Large and muscular, she was the ideal speed skater. Just the difference between sprinters and marathoners is enlightening. This variety of possibilities gives many people the chance to be champion athletes on the world stage. The more the merrier, I think!

As for rhythmic gymnastics (full disclosure: I love this sport), the U.S. can barely get in the front door of the sport, and I say good going to Son! If she can make it into the Olympic finals, she's already in the big time. I was very excited to see her at the Olympics, and I hope to see more. If this makes her marketable, good for her. No need to compare her to anyone else.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I don't watch wrestling at all. But I did follow the process of its removal from the Olympics, and it's a process of corruption, greed and elitism of the sort that's entirely antithetical to the spirit of the games. Wrestling is one of the more egalitarian sports in the games, because unlike many other ones, all you need is a flat surface anywhere to train for it. And almost every culture has some tradition of wrestling. As a result, wrestling is one of the few sports where medals are spread out, even among poorer countries. Participants come from every corner of the world. And because it is a sport where poorer nations can compete on a more equal footing with rich ones, interest is high in those developing countries. Unfortunately, that became the main issue for the IOC. The media market in those countries just don't supply the IOC with the same money that the richer ones can. Nepotism also played a role. In the final round of decisions, it came down to wrestling vs. modern pentathlon. The son of the president of the federation that governs modern pentathlon is an IOC member and lobbied directly to save the sport. Wrestling, unfortunately, had no such patron in the organization. So the modern pentathlon, a niche sport that is prohibitively expensive to train in, with far less participation than wrestling, was saved, while the plebian wrestling was ejected. To give you an idea of how undemocratic the decision is, consider that only 21 countries have ever medaled in the modern pentathlon, vs 54 for wrestling.

Now, I don't begrudge modern pentathlon's inclusion in the games. The real problems are the policies, the culture and the institutions that led to the decision between the two sports.

The biggest problem of all is how relentlessly capitalistic the Olympics have become. There are still some vestiges of concerns for athletes, fairness, participation and global good will, but the almighty dollar dominates.

Paradoxically, the second problem is how ridiculously wasteful the games are. In order to qualify for hosting the games, the host city must be able to provide expensive facilities for various niche sports. Those facilities frequently go to waste after the games. In order to keep costs under control, the IOC instituted a strict limit on the number of sports that can be contested at each game. Under this rule, to get in a new sport, an older one must be chopped. Intense (and undoubtedly corrupt and nepotistic) lobbying by other sports meant something had to give. And that something was wrestling. Ironically, getting rid of wrestling is not cost effective at all! Wrestling is one of the cheapest sports to facilitate! Pretty much any stadium or auditorium will do.

A far saner solution would be to have a few evergreen locations for some of the more expensive and esoteric sporting venues, like the canoe slalom course, without requiring the host city to build them. The money they save there would let poor ol' wrestling rejoin the fun.

spikydurian

Medalist
I was expecting to find postings of Yuna’s advertisements and achievements, but instead debates regarding which sport should not be included in the Olympics. :laugh:

ForeverFish

Medalist
I was expecting to find postings of Yuna’s advertisements and achievements, but instead debates regarding which sport should not be included in the Olympics. :laugh:

Posts about Yuna? In a thread that bears her name? On a figure skating forum?

Unthinkable.