Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 151

Thread: Kim Yu-na Ranked Most Marketable Korean Athlete

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    It will always be a fact that Canada won the first rg gold!!
    but led by the soviet boycotts

  2. #92
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,635
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    but led by the soviet boycotts
    That's true but Canada went from gold to barely in the top 10! 2 from soviet union and 2 from Bulgaria really dominated in 1988 and then you have Poland and Hungary but the issue is more to me Canada went from 1 to 10 with different athletes and in 1984 beat two Romanians.

    A country dominating an event shouldn't matter as the us wins some swimming relays every 4 years. Because they have a huge swimming program and can get the good swimmers for all the relays and abolishing some swimming events for non competitiveness is not addressed.

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    That's true but Canada went from gold to barely in the top 10! 2 from soviet union and 2 from Bulgaria really dominated in 1988 and then you have Poland and Hungary but the issue is more to me Canada went from 1 to 10 with different athletes and in 1984 beat two Romanians.

    A country dominating an event shouldn't matter as the us wins some swimming relays every 4 years. Because they have a huge swimming program and can get the good swimmers for all the relays and abolishing some swimming events for non competitiveness is not addressed.
    agreed, I don't think just because a sport is dominant in a country doesnt mean it should not be in the Olympics
    siwmming is dominated by US and Australia, even Figure Skating before singles were dominated by the US and pairs/dance by Soviets
    also gymnastics is one of the main attractions in Olympics and sells tickets , based on London, RG stadium was fully booked unlike wrestling
    so I don't think its going anytime soon.

  4. #94
    Yuna's Ice Rink cooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,189
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    agreed, I don't think just because a sport is dominant in a country doesnt mean it should not be in the Olympics
    siwmming is dominated by US and Australia, even Figure Skating before singles were dominated by the US and pairs/dance by Soviets
    also gymnastics is one of the main attractions in Olympics and sells tickets , based on London, RG stadium was fully booked unlike wrestling
    so I don't think its going anytime soon.
    if they solely based it in attendance then they should also get rid of table tennis.. or equestrian..

    Quote Originally Posted by Anu View Post
    @ vera01

    "You said that if Son did not make mistakes, she could've easily won bronze in another post."

    yes your right i did say that...

    "What is a difference between saying that and saying Son was lucky to place 5th in London?''

    Don't get me wrong , but read my post again...i just copy-pasted what "@ Melon" mentioned earlier in his/her post...i was trying to understand WHY did she/he say that "she was lucky" which i thought it was harsh...
    why do you keep insisting of bringing son into this forum?? until she won a major title then who cares..

    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    That's true but Canada went from gold to barely in the top 10! 2 from soviet union and 2 from Bulgaria really dominated in 1988 and then you have Poland and Hungary but the issue is more to me Canada went from 1 to 10 with different athletes and in 1984 beat two Romanians.

    A country dominating an event shouldn't matter as the us wins some swimming relays every 4 years. Because they have a huge swimming program and can get the good swimmers for all the relays and abolishing some swimming events for non competitiveness is not addressed.
    US dominated london olys.. but because team australia was just bad..and the french team, the chinese team... heck other countries like south africa.. netherlands.. they produced some of the top swimmers in the world.. and you cannot abolish some of those events because the US dominated.. hey.. that was the reason why they got rid of baseballl and softball in the first place!!!! because the US dominated.. why not RG? why not table tennis?? rg is dominated by russia.. table tennis is dominated by china.. hmm..

  5. #95
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,340
    On an unrelated note (though, I'm not sure what is considered "related to the topic" in this thread anymore), I was looking at some of J. Estina's advertisements featuring Son Yeon Jae and they really need to learn how to style her better. Most of these adverts made her look like she's in her late 20s or early 30s. You know there is a problem with styling when Yuna Kim, who is only slightly older than you, manages to look much more youthful than you in the advertisements for the same company that she's featured in.

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    if they solely based it in attendance then they should also get rid of table tennis.. or equestrian..
    equetrian is a true non sport, come on the horses should be the ones getting the medals

  7. #97
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    I disagree, even though the horse is the "athlete." Equestrianism is a gorgeous and suspenseful sport to watch, with an ancient tradition. Not only that; it's also one of the very few sports where women and men compete on the same team and on an equal footing (marksmanship is the only other one I can think of offhand).

    But really, it's the very variety of Olympic sports that makes the Olympics interesting, and every one of them has followers, even if you and I find particular ones weird. Most of these sports can be interesting (especially with an adept TV commentator) at the world-class level. Table tennis is practically a killer sport in China, and my eyes almost popped the first time I saw it played at an elite level. The ball flies faster than a speeding bullet. One of the most popular sports, boxing, is one I hate to watch, but I don't make the mistake of thinking it should be dropped. (Especially Olympic-style boxing, because the object is not to knock anyone out, thank God.)

    The benefit of having different sports that different countries specialize in cannot be underestimated. For example, I think Bhutan specializes in archery, and the modern pentathlon often has medalists from Sweden and Hungary. And tiny little Jamaica seems to be a motherlode for sprinters. This gives many nations a chance to feel pride at the Olympics.

    Conversely, it's also fun for me to watch sports that my country, the U.S., doesn't tend to excel in, because I get to enjoy an event I don't normally get exposed to in the course of everyday life. But there's another benefit in all these different sports, which is that frequently they demand different body types. So you get the example of the German speed skater Karin Enke, who began as a figure skater but had a body type incompatible with top-level skating. Large and muscular, she was the ideal speed skater. Just the difference between sprinters and marathoners is enlightening. This variety of possibilities gives many people the chance to be champion athletes on the world stage. The more the merrier, I think!

    As for rhythmic gymnastics (full disclosure: I love this sport), the U.S. can barely get in the front door of the sport, and I say good going to Son! If she can make it into the Olympic finals, she's already in the big time. I was very excited to see her at the Olympics, and I hope to see more. If this makes her marketable, good for her. No need to compare her to anyone else.

  8. #98
    Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,452
    I don't watch wrestling at all. But I did follow the process of its removal from the Olympics, and it's a process of corruption, greed and elitism of the sort that's entirely antithetical to the spirit of the games. Wrestling is one of the more egalitarian sports in the games, because unlike many other ones, all you need is a flat surface anywhere to train for it. And almost every culture has some tradition of wrestling. As a result, wrestling is one of the few sports where medals are spread out, even among poorer countries. Participants come from every corner of the world. And because it is a sport where poorer nations can compete on a more equal footing with rich ones, interest is high in those developing countries. Unfortunately, that became the main issue for the IOC. The media market in those countries just don't supply the IOC with the same money that the richer ones can. Nepotism also played a role. In the final round of decisions, it came down to wrestling vs. modern pentathlon. The son of the president of the federation that governs modern pentathlon is an IOC member and lobbied directly to save the sport. Wrestling, unfortunately, had no such patron in the organization. So the modern pentathlon, a niche sport that is prohibitively expensive to train in, with far less participation than wrestling, was saved, while the plebian wrestling was ejected. To give you an idea of how undemocratic the decision is, consider that only 21 countries have ever medaled in the modern pentathlon, vs 54 for wrestling.

    Now, I don't begrudge modern pentathlon's inclusion in the games. The real problems are the policies, the culture and the institutions that led to the decision between the two sports.

    The biggest problem of all is how relentlessly capitalistic the Olympics have become. There are still some vestiges of concerns for athletes, fairness, participation and global good will, but the almighty dollar dominates.

    Paradoxically, the second problem is how ridiculously wasteful the games are. In order to qualify for hosting the games, the host city must be able to provide expensive facilities for various niche sports. Those facilities frequently go to waste after the games. In order to keep costs under control, the IOC instituted a strict limit on the number of sports that can be contested at each game. Under this rule, to get in a new sport, an older one must be chopped. Intense (and undoubtedly corrupt and nepotistic) lobbying by other sports meant something had to give. And that something was wrestling. Ironically, getting rid of wrestling is not cost effective at all! Wrestling is one of the cheapest sports to facilitate! Pretty much any stadium or auditorium will do.

    A far saner solution would be to have a few evergreen locations for some of the more expensive and esoteric sporting venues, like the canoe slalom course, without requiring the host city to build them. The money they save there would let poor ol' wrestling rejoin the fun.

  9. #99
    Custom Title spikydurian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    978
    I was expecting to find postings of Yuna’s advertisements and achievements, but instead debates regarding which sport should not be included in the Olympics.

  10. #100
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    I was expecting to find postings of Yuna’s advertisements and achievements, but instead debates regarding which sport should not be included in the Olympics.
    Posts about Yuna? In a thread that bears her name? On a figure skating forum?

    Unthinkable.

  11. #101
    Custom Title spikydurian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Posts about Yuna? In a thread that bears her name? On a figure skating forum?

    Unthinkable.
    This thread's heading is Kim Yu-Na Ranked Most Marketable Korean Athlete. Is an assumption that this thread is all about Yuna and her marketability unthinkable?

  12. #102
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    This thread's heading is Kim Yu-Na Ranked Most Marketable Korean Athlete. Is an assumption that this thread is all about Yuna and her marketability unthinkable?
    While I don't presume to put words in Foreverfish's mouth, I think that the comment was meant to be ironic and humorous?

  13. #103
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by w_darling View Post
    While I don't presume to put words in Foreverfish's mouth, I think that the comment was meant to be ironic and humorous?
    Yes, it was. Thanks, w_darling. I guess I should know better than to assume that sarcasm always translates well over the Internet.

  14. #104
    Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,452
    If you want posts about Yuna, just visit any thread that isn't about Yuna.

  15. #105
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    If you want posts about Yuna, just visit any thread that isn't about Yuna.
    Then what's actually in Yuna's thread?

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •