Tiffany Chin Interview ( by TSL, Jenny and Dave) | Golden Skate

Tiffany Chin Interview ( by TSL, Jenny and Dave)

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Only Part 1 is up. Will post Part 2 when Jenny and Dave decide to post it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fotH9FVzBTY#!

Few skaters have had careers filled with more rumors, speculation and third-hand accounts than Tiffany Chin. As the first Asian-American to win the United States Figure Skating Championships, Tiffany Chin broke ground while leading a cross-cultural revolution in the sport. In part one of our interview with Tiffany Chin, we discuss her beginnings in the sport, the legends she trained with, her relationship with her mother and the impact her Chinese-American upbringing had on her career.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Best part of the interview:

"I have to tell you, I was 12th in figures in 1984, and then in 1985 I was 2nd in figures. I don't think I actually improved in that time."

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Best part of the interview:

"I have to tell you, I was 12th in figures in 1984, and then in 1985 I was 2nd in figures. I don't think I actually improved in that time."

It's kind of like how Frank found it funny that Denis Ten's PCS was higher in the free skate than in the short program at 2013 Worlds, even though he thought Denis's program components were better in the short program. (TSL interview with Frank Carroll.)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It's kind of like how Frank found it funny that Denis Ten's PCS was higher in the free skate than in the short program at 2013 Worlds, even though he thought Denis's program components were better in the short program. (TSL interview with Frank Carroll.)

It is because he had gained respect of the judges with his short program. Protocal and reputational judging as alive and well as always (as another of Chan's typical farcial wins would also prove in spades).

I also LOLed at the part where Chin mentioned she went from 12th to 2nd in figures in just one year despite that she felt she hadnt improved.

anthologyz

Rinkside
i super appreciated tiffany's very wise and measured comments about growing up and skating as an asian american in the 1980s, as well as clearing the air about the way her mother was unfairly demonized by the media. i also appreciated the insight into training multiple kinds of triples then vs. now. thanks for posting!

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fdPAg5lSsDA

After becoming the United States National Champion, Tiffany Chin was sidelined with a mysterious muscle imbalance for most of the 1985-1986 season. In part two of our interview with Tiffany, she discusses her muscle imbalance, the decision to end her amateur career just short of the 1988 Olympic Games, her coaching philosophy, and the infamous fluff piece that shifted the public’s perception of her career.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I thought it was very interesting when she said in their training, champions fall a lot more than losers.