Jason Brown relocates to CO Springs | Golden Skate

Jason Brown relocates to CO Springs

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
According to IceNetwork:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130515&content_id=47601296&vkey=ice_news

Kori Ade has relocated to Colorado, with her students, family and new baby in tow.
Ade is coaching Jason Brown and Jordan Moeller, among others, at the Colorado Sports Center in Monument, Colo., about 20 miles north of Colorado Springs.

Interestingly:

[Rohene] "Ward, who choreographs for Brown and Moeller, is going to return to competition himself next season. He's planning to take the ice at the Broadmoor Open in June. Ade said she is listed as Ward's coach, but he does a lot of work on his own."

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I think this move will be very good for Jason. I had no idea that Jason et al were relocating to Colorado and goodness, Rohene is returning to competition.
Next we will have Jason cutting his hair. ;)

Thanks for posting!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This was revealed in an article post JGPF in December. He's been there for a couple of months now - the move was mid-March.

A little surprised that they chose Monument as their base rather than the World Arena, but maybe CS couldn't handle the awesomeness of Josh, Jason, and Max on the same sheet of ice too often? ;)

Mind you, tease more, Kori:

"He [Rohene]'s got to be one of the most brilliant choreographers I've ever seen. His long for Jason is unbelievable."

ice coverage

Record Breaker
A few weeks ago, Brown also discussed his move to Colorado [already completed by then] as part of his wide-ranging interview for "The Skating Lesson."

(My computer is having trouble connecting to the page at the moment, but I was able to watch the interview there a couple of weeks ago.)

bibi24

Final Flight
[Rohene] "Ward, who choreographs for Brown and Moeller, is going to return to competition himself next season. He's planning to take the ice at the Broadmoor Open in June. Ade said she is listed as Ward's coach, but he does a lot of work on his own."

Hopes he makes the Olympic team.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

It's unlikely, but oh gosh, I would love to see him get it together and blow everyone out of the water. He's so talented and if only he had the jumps he certainly would have been a multi-National champion and likely a World medalist. I'm thrilled that he's doing choreography for Jason Brown, because even if we don't get to see Rohene at a top level there's still a chance of seeing him through Jason Brown (who seems the perfect fit to channel Ward's choreo).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Rohene had wonderful jumps. He just had a very poor head for competition. He could do a textbook 4t3t, and a perfectly good triple axel. Unfortunately, in competition, sometimes you'd think he'd have trouble landing a waltz jump ;) If you wanted to see his programs done well, you used to have to go to his practices.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Rohene had wonderful jumps. He just had a very poor head for competition. He could do a textbook 4t3t, and a perfectly good triple axel. Unfortunately, in competition, sometimes you'd think he'd have trouble landing a waltz jump ;) If you wanted to see his programs done well, you used to have to go to his practices.

Kind of like Jeremy Abbott?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Well, the problem with Ward is that he would pop jumps, so he wouldn't even fully rotate and get credit for that, which really held him back. But yeah, there's a performance at Liberty a few years ago in the SP where he landed 4-3 and 3A brilliantly.

SkateFan66

On the Ice

He would have to do well enough at the summer competition(s) to earn an international assignment in the Fall. If he does not get an international assignment, then he will not have the requisite TES minimums to qualify for the Olympics. (He could win US nationals and still not qualify for the Olympic team if he does not earn the minimum TES scores)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Rohene Ward will be a very influential choreographer in the years to come.

Very, very creative and artistic.

Such a shame that his nerves rarely held up under the pressure of competition.

ForeverFish

Medalist
He would have to do well enough at the summer competition(s) to earn an international assignment in the Fall. If he does not get an international assignment, then he will not have the requisite TES minimums to qualify for the Olympics. (He could win US nationals and still not qualify for the Olympic team if he does not earn the minimum TES scores)

I don't think qualifying for the JGP will be a problem for Jason--he's been competing on the circuit for the past three seasons. I'd rather see him on the GP, actually, but it would probably be wiser to postpone his senior international debut until after the Olympics.

SkateFan66

On the Ice
I don't think qualifying for the JGP will be a problem for Jason--he's been competing on the circuit for the past three seasons. I'd rather see him on the GP, actually, but it would probably be wiser to postpone his senior international debut until after the Olympics.

I was responding to a post re: Ward's comeback, not Jason.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Kind of like Jeremy Abbott?

Jeremy's a beautiful skater but I wouldn't say his jumps are wonderful. He has a pretty nice 3a, but his 3lz and 4t have never been very consistent, and when landed, do not strike me as particularly spectacular, and the same goes for his other jumps. Jeremy more has beautiful skating skills, spins, footwork, and extension. His jumps are fine, good even, but I don't think he's ever done a 4t-3t in competition so it's not like his technical abilities are sky high, and the size and quality of the jumps are not as great as a number of other top competitors. But yes, his head is the biggest problem, if he could deliver what he's capable of in competition, even with his jumps not being the class of the field, he'd still do much better than he has thus far in his career due to his being an all-around, quality skater.

KKonas

Medalist

True. Ward is indeed very talented but I was told he was also a sporatic trainer. And you need that muscle memory in order to complete those difficult triple/quad jumps in times of stress like when you need them in competition. At his last Nationals, if memory serves me correctly, I don't think he landed a single triple jump in his FS.

True. Ward is indeed very talented but I was told he was also a sporatic trainer. And you need that muscle memory in order to complete those difficult triple/quad jumps in times of stress like when you need them in competition. At his last Nationals, if memory serves me correctly, I don't think he landed a single triple jump in his FS.

That's very interesting, KKonas. I kept thinking, how could someone this talented do this badly in competition? Could it be all "headcase-itis"? But insufficient training is a convincing possibility. In competition, you have to be able to call it up almost in your sleep, in a Pavlovian reflex action, when the music comes on. This is how skaters who have been sick or having a lover's quarrel with a partner (Rodnina and Alexei Ulanov, her first partner) have won competitions, even the Olympics. As Thomas Edison (I think) said about genius, skating brilliance is probably 2% inspiration and 98% perspiration.

That being said, I do love Rohene Ward, and I'd love to see him again.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
:slink: I had it. Then Google deleted my youtube account.

I may have it on my hard drive. (I went on a Rohene spree a few months back where I downloaded everything I could get my hands on.) I'll have a look and see.