Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 - 2014 Russian skaters, rules, and events

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    She is born in March 2001 so she is 12. Her results has not been yet great, not the level of Sakhanovitch, Ogoreltseva, Sotskova, Medvedeva, Kaiumova etc. She is still young, but at the moment she doesn't stand out from the large group of very talented youngsters.
    I remember that Leonova had her really high results only at 16. So all may happen.

But all the other knowh hi-level Russian girls had good National-level results (i.e. medals of National competions corresponding age) being very young.
    Tuktamysheva - at 11.
    Sotnikova - at 10.
    Radionova - at 10.
    Lipnitskaia - at 11.
    Pogorilaya - at 10.
    Gosviani - at 9.
    Agafonova - at 9.
    Shelepen - at 11.
    Sakhanovitch - at 11 (she begun skating at 7, so it is very good).
    Ogoreltseva - at 10.
    Sotskova - at 9.
    Medvedeva - at 11.
    Kaiumova - at 10.
    Only Korobeynikova at 12, but at 11 she was 4th.
    Biryukova - at 13, but she started skating at 7.

Not all the youngster medalists became known internationally skaters, but almost all internationally known was youngster medalists.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRus View Post
    I remember that Leonova had her really high results only at 16. So all may happen.
    That's true, but Leonova was very lucky that there was no one else decent within Russia. She was lucky that her date of birth is a few years earlier than this huge pack of very talented girls. Now there is such competition that someone like Leonova would have a hard time to push through. For example, I don't think that even at her best she had anything better than 3T-3T. The majority of your youngster now has it and even if only half of them survives the puberty, it will be plenty of skaters fighting for 3 spots for Europeans and potential 3 spots for worlds if they manage to regain the third spot. If the competition at that time was like it is now, Leonova would be buried somewhere in the pack of 'decent but not quite good enough' skaters.

Custom Title
    It is not so simple.
    Leonova past season had Worlds being in fact third of age eligible, while she seriously degraded from previous season.
    Gosviani who had not real success for years, earned Euro.

So I believe - if some skater will become really good at not so young age, she will have real chance.
    Problem is in this if.

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Agafonova is still 17 yo, will she try for JGP again, or do you think she is aiming to get the host pick at COR? I guess the other ladies in contention for that spot are Gosviani, Korobeynikova (as a 2nd event), and Biryukova, but we haven't seen any of them skate yet this season. Based on last season, Gosviani deserves it most, but Agafonova looks in pretty good form right now in this video, so she may be making a case for herself.
    Well, that was a Senior SP (she didn't have the loop in it, which is the required solo jump this year for Juniors), so I think that she's trying to skate her best at the Russian Cup (as a Senior) to receive maybe a Senior B and hopefully that third CoR spot... I hope there will be videos of Korobeynikova so we'll be able to compare them because I think that these two Polinas are more or less at the same level now (Korobeynikova slightly better artistically, Agafonova slightly better technically)...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    Well, that was a Senior SP (she didn't have the loop in it, which is the required solo jump this year for Juniors), so I think that she's trying to skate her best at the Russian Cup (as a Senior) to receive maybe a Senior B and hopefully that third CoR spot... I hope there will be videos of Korobeynikova so we'll be able to compare them because I think that these two Polinas are more or less at the same level now (Korobeynikova slightly better artistically, Agafonova slightly better technically)...
    Yes, it was qualification to Senior Event of Russian Cup 1 for her.

Custom Title
    There is a huge difference. At the time Leonova managed to push through, there was no decent senior Russian lady. Last year, when Gosviani managed to push through, again by luck there was no decent lady available for third spot. Makarova, Leonova, Shelepen, Korobeynikova and Byriukova were not having decent results and suddenly there was an opportunity. However, this is very unlikely to happen again. Every year there is one or two new girls coming to senior eligible age who make the senior level in Russian ladies a bit crowded. It was lucky for Leonova that there were no decent senior girls and lucky for Gosviani that 5 seniors girls were not performing the whole season, but now there will be more and more and even if half of them did not perform, there will be still plenty left. All you need is three good ones to be send; you can't send more anyway. So I don't think any late bloomer will suddenly pop out. Look at Menshov. Late bloomer and did not have as many chances as the younger ones. And men category is not as crowded as ladies category.

Custom Title
    True, Gosviani got lucky because Lipnitskaya (and Shelepen - with decent skating she could have finished ahead) withdrew from Nationals, and Lipnitskaya was too young anyways, and Pogorilaya and Sahkanovich who both beat her by 6-7 points were both too young. This year, even if many ladies falter, Lipnitskaya, Pogorilaya, Gerasimova, and Titushkina are all old enough for ISU championships so that's 4 more girls in the mix that would need to be beaten. When Leonova was doing so well, Makarova and Biryukova were her only real competition, as Shelepen and Korobeynikova were still on the JGP for that first season they became eligible, so were more of an afterthought than a major threat to Leonova. Plus both Makarova and Biryukova essentially had no 3lz or 3f so it's not like Leonova had that much to worry about. Now though it's an entirely different ballgame.

Custom Title
    I liked Julia Li last season, but then she seems a bit slow this season, especially her spins... and her jumps seem smaller.... I still really like her in general... she has a lot of potential to grow

Banned
    can we just stop with the Pogorilaya, Gosviani, Korobeynikova, Gerasimova ? they are all non factors
    only Leonova has a slight chance

the 2 spots
    will only be between Adelina, Julia and Liza

Custom Title
    Videos of StPeterburg Test Skate to Russian Cup I.
    Free Skate.

Shulepov http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuWqEzkTA64
    Gubanova http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKL8l7yyNBQ
    Konstantinova http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq-iJHcchYY
    Agafonova http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8s3ioZUXnk
    Smolkin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OixBRgUvPwY
    Fitisova http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB7hcfLBlts
    Aliev http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9fS9mjw2hE

Most interesting as for me are:
    Anastasia Gubanova (02 Dec 2002, i.e. 10 years old). She is known as the girl who landed her 3F at competition before 9th birthday. Very nice skating at video (with mistakes, but she has a lot of time before her main competitions).
    Anton Shulepov (30 Mar 1996). It is his first season in StPetersburg (up to end of season 2012/2013 he was at Vladimir city), and very big progress. Talented boy.

Custom Title
    This year, even if many ladies falter, Lipnitskaya, Pogorilaya, Gerasimova, and Titushkina are all old enough for ISU championships so that's 4 more girls
    Yes, four new Senior Ladies.
    But Staviskaia (01 Sep 1997) instead of Titushkina, who is still not age eligible (06 Mar 1999).

In fact Lipnitskaia and Pogorilaya are (or more correctly were at previous season) really better than Gerasimova and Stavitskaia.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    can we just stop with the Pogorilaya, Gosviani, Korobeynikova, Gerasimova ? they are all non factors
    only Leonova has a slight chance

the 2 spots
    will only be between Adelina, Julia and Liza
    I was not talking about Olympics, but rather Euros (3 spots) and competitions in the future. Basically, I was saying that Gosviani lucked out with Euros because she only finished 6th at Nationals and the girls in 2nd, 4th, and 5th were too young. Now, 2 of those girls are old enough to go to ISU championships and one cannot expect that 2 of the major contenders (last year Lipnitskaya, Shelepen) will withdraw from Nationals every year. I was more trying to say while 6th place at Russian Nats is a good result, lots of factors came into play with how she wound up placing 6th, and further, with so many talented ladies, it really comes down to how they skate on that day to determine who places 6th versus 14th.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRus View Post
    Yes, four new Senior Ladies.
    But Staviskaia (01 Sep 1997) instead of Titushkina, who is still not age eligible (06 Mar 1999).

In fact Lipnitskaia and Pogorilaya are (or more correctly were at previous season) really better than Gerasimova and Stavitskaia.
    Gerasimova and Stavitskaia were very strong SP skaters but often faltered in the FS. For Stavitskaia, I think growing so much threw her off, last season she became very tall and it seemed like her muscles didn't have time to catch up with her yet, the result being her jumps were not so strong and a frailness apparent in her overall skating. Gerasimova is good and can do 3lz-3t well, issue is consistency. I did not realize Titushkina is so young, already last season she was 1.67 meters, my guess is she grows to tall to be really competitive, much like Anna Shershak, who only turned 15 in June but is 1.73 meters and can only do 3t, 3s consistently (3lo and 3f occasionally although not reliable).

Gerasimova and Stavitskaia were very strong SP skaters but often faltered in the FS. For Stavitskaia, I think growing so much threw her off, last season she became very tall and it seemed like her muscles didn't have time to catch up with her yet, the result being her jumps were not so strong and a frailness apparent in her overall skating.
    Maria was again with Mishin in this summer. She looks great https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater ,great pics

new SP practice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIdBqVUDjsw

Custom Title
    I was not talking about Olympics, but rather Euros (3 spots) and competitions in the future. Basically, I was saying that Gosviani lucked out with Euros because she only finished 6th at Nationals and the girls in 2nd, 4th, and 5th were too young. Now, 2 of those girls are old enough to go to ISU championships and one cannot expect that 2 of the major contenders (last year Lipnitskaya, Shelepen) will withdraw from Nationals every year. I was more trying to say while 6th place at Russian Nats is a good result, lots of factors came into play with how she wound up placing 6th, and further, with so many talented ladies, it really comes down to how they skate on that day to determine who places 6th versus 14th.
    You are right. That was exactly my point. Leonova was lucky that at the time she needed to push through there was no one else. Gosviani was lucky last year that the other senior eligible ladies were not delivering results and it helped her to establish herself (put her name on the senior team). But chance like this does not come often and with every year there will be more and more ladies at the senior level because they are now gradually coming to the age. So anyone who is late bloomer will probably not be noticed (wouldn't be getting GP events etc), unless he/she would manage to end at nationals at 1-3 place. And for that one need to be much better skater than Leonova was when she managed to push through, and much better skater than Gosviani last year. It is interesting to watch how luck can give one opportunity, and another skater who would be potentially exactly as good may not have the same opportunities only because he/she would be born a few years later.

Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast