2013 - 2014 Russian skaters, rules, and events | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2013 - 2014 Russian skaters, rules, and events

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Why?
She is eligible by age for Senior competitions at 2013/2014.
All her results - place at Senior Nationals, Season Best, Season World Ranking are higher than Gosviani and Leonova.
3 of total of 4 her Internalional results are higher than Season Best of both Leonova and Gosviani (and higher than best result of Gosviani's Senior B competition also; Leonova had not Senior B's in season).

Pogorilaya earned 4 medals at her 4 ISU Events, including JGP Final and JrWorlds.
Both Leonova and Gosviani have no medals of ISU Events in season.

Who can understand why Pogorilaya is not at Senior Team while Leonova and Gosviani are?

Leonova - understandable, glorious past, including Silver of Worlds.
But Gosviani had no real succes at previous seasons.

I don't know.
Hope that she will take place in Senior GP. Medal of JrWorlds means nothing for it - she has a spot because she is in Top24 of Season Best (19th).

Btw, her Personal Best is higher than Agnes Zawadzki's, who is JGP Event Medalist.
So why not?

But it is unkvown - Federation gives data about skaters who take or not take place in GP to ISU. And what will it give?

This is all true but I think if she is on the junior team, it means she competes in JGP in the fall. Being on the senior team while ineligible for senior events is likely just due to finishing 1st or 2nd at Nationals, so that is different, but Anna was 5th at Nationals, ahead of Gosviani and Leonova who are both on the senior team. I agree she showed more promise last season than either Gosviani or Leonova, but my guess is the Fed probably wants her to wait her turn and told her team to stay junior for another season, likely because they do not want to have another girl to be in the mix for Olympic team consideration where there are only 2 spots and already a number of girls in contention. She could still go to the Olympics, Euros, or Worlds after competing on JGP in the fall like Ksenia did, but it is unlikely.

She had the spot in senior GP garaunteed due to SB, and with her results it is likely she could get 2 assignments, so my guess is either the fed told her team to stay junior or Anna and her coach decided it was best for her to stay junior another season. I agree it's kind of silly, if Gosviani, Leonova, and Korobeynikova can compete on the GP, which they likely all will, then Pogorilaya's results from last season (better than all those girls) indicate she would be able to hold her own on the senior GP as well. I know she is young, but she is old enough for seniors this coming season and she has the hard jumps, speed, and power to compete with the big girls already even if her skating needs more refinement. To me these selections don't always make sense. This girl is skating well now and medaled in every international she competed in last season despite being unknown. She is a very talented jumper and the Eurosport guys even commented on the amount of power she had, which considering her age and build is a pretty impressive, her speed across the ice and spins is also better than most of her junior competitors, I wouldn't be surprised if this is why she got high PCS (for juniors) despite seeming "gangly" and "unpolished". In the future this may change, so why not give her the chance to compete on the big stage now when she is skating so well?

I think Shelepen was kept on the JGP too long and now I fear they are doing the same to Pogorilaya. By the time Shelepen moved up to seniors she was dealing with injuries and no longer skating well, whereas had she moved up a season or two beforehand when she was very consistent and a jumping machine, she likely would have done well and could have helped her chances to make Euro and World teams where she likely would have done better than Makarova. Kind of silly IMO.

kasik8222

Rinkside
I hope so:laugh: I admire Stanislav. He stands it with dignity. I read they are no longer together with Tatiana. I have always loved russian pairs and their style (maybe except Totmianina and Marinin and Petrova Tikhonov:p). When I was a little girl I used to watch Natalia and Artur. It was so unreal comparing to polish skaters back then;) We had G. Filipowski and Siudeks and that's all for now (their artistic impression was not even close to The best in the business):bang:. I fell in love with Tatiana and Maxim at first sign. They did not always deserve the marks they got but in the end their Worlds gold was unquuestionable.
I know their 2012/2013 programs were not everyone's cup of tea but their chemistry is amazing. Aliona and Robin are very innovative but there is no "passion". There is beauty but there is no passion (if you ask me, you can argue). I am curious what they will show us in 2014. I bet germans will also have something special because it can't be worse now...
I hope Tatiana and Maxim will get unquestionable gold in Sochi and stay for another four years:laugh:. They deserve each other. It was a match made in heaven.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Alexander Smirnov's radical change of hair color

2:06 video from the official SkatingISU channel on YT.
Kawaguchi (the YT description uses that spelling) and Smirnov are interviewed together in the vid.
They answer questions on several other topics , but Smirnov's hair is hard to ignore. ;) :eek:

The interview is conducted in Russian, but the text description on the YT page provides an English translation.

ETA:
I see now that both SkatingISU and figure-skatingonline.com seem to be official owners of the same video -- and each has posted it separately on YouTube.
And that the latter incarnation of the video has its own GS thread: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?41062-Kawaguchi-Smirnov-amp-2-more-video-clips .​

Country
Russia
Adelina Sotnikova is 17 now!

She was born 01 Jul 1996, so yesterday was her birthday.

Good luck, Adelina! Be happy!

LRK

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Adelina! May this be a great year for her. :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
New video interview with Lisa Tuktamysheva and Artur Gachinski from their training camp in Pinzolo that just ended on our homepage: http://www.figureskating-online.com/lisa-and-artur.html The interview is in Russian, an English translation is provided.

Very upbeat, they both seem very positive. They look great. I see Artur is going for the fluffy/curly look again this season.

Very definitely looking forward to seeing him do a Jeff Buttle program!

mielikki

Rinkside
Oops, I saw this and remembered I forgot to post my brother's report from the Bolshoi on Ice this May there they performed.

Anyway, he did mention that Lisa and Artur behave like siblings. Now I watch your video and here they are, easily continuing thoughts after one another and sharing emotions in a split second. :eek:
Are they always like this? Maybe Mishin has something to tell us? :biggrin:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oops, I saw this and remembered I forgot to post my brother's report from the Bolshoi on Ice this May there they performed.

Anyway, he did mention that Lisa and Artur behave like siblings. Now I watch your video and here they are, easily continuing thoughts after one another and sharing emotions in a split second. :eek:

I'm sure Mishin prefers the "brother and sister" act to the alternative. Perhaps he even encourages it in an attempt to quash any possibility of misguided teenage crushes. ;)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

they aren't rivals to each other, and in Italy there were a lot of time together. They were in Bari before Pinzolo.

mielikki

Rinkside
I'm sure Mishin prefers the "brother and sister" act to the alternative. Perhaps he even encourages it in an attempt to quash any possibility of misguided teenage crushes. ;)
that's not what I meant :) Thank God Mishin is raising skaters, not soldiers, for such people can be a perfect troop :laugh:

they aren't rivals to each other, and in Italy there were a lot of time together. They were in Bari before Pinzolo.
Also skating? Or was it a vacation?