2013 - 2014 Russian skaters, rules, and events | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2013 - 2014 Russian skaters, rules, and events

Moment

Final Flight
I understand that in some Russian domestic competitions, there are bonus points awarded if the ladies do a 3-3 combo (I don't know if it applies to the men or if there is a different bonus for the guys).

Thank you.

That's funny tho, there should be a 3Axel bonus or something as well.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I know people are going to complain about me talking up my personal favourites, but I don’t care – I’m going to do it anyway!

I have to say, I am VERY disappointed to see that Kristina Zaseeva only managed to get 10th place overall, especially after being 6th in the SP. But, after watching the video of her FS, I can see why she only managed 11th in the FS. There were too many times when there were things touching the ice that shouldn’t have been – namely her hands and her backside!

Early on, there were quite a few times that her hand was dragging along the ice. But, it was the THREE falls that really did it for her.

I know Kristina is better than that. But, I don’t know much about the Russian qualifying system. So, will she be able to get another chance to qualify?

I really hope that she is not knocked out completely because of one bad skate.

But congratulations to one of my favourite skaters (of any nationality!), Adelina, for winning both the SP and FS!!! And to another of my Russian favourites, Nikol, for finishing in the top 4 in both SP and FS.

CaroLiza_fan

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^Basically it runs just like the ISU grand prix. You get 2 shots (5 events), each spot has a point assigned to it. They rank you based off your sum total of both events and the highest ranked gets to compete at nationals. You can also earn a spot to nationals by participating on the ISU senior grand prix or making the junior grand prix finals. So basically there are 8 senior girls competing on the ISU grand prix who are guaranteed spots as well as 3 to 4 juniors who will make the finals. So that leaves about 6 to 7 spots available to everyone else including Kristina. She has no shot at making nationals this year b/c of her low placement here sorry. The coaching board could invite her by replacing someone else (like they did Samarin last year) but there are way more than 7 girls who are better than she is so that's not likely.

Last year for example Agafonova was 3rd alternate due to 2 5th place finishes. Gosviani did a little better and was 1st alternate but due to 2 withdrawals she got to compete. Kristina has no chance at competing at nationals due to her 10th place here.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
^Basically it runs just like the ISU grand prix. You get 2 shots (5 events), each spot has a point assigned to it. They rank you based off your sum total of both events and the highest ranked gets to compete at nationals. You can also earn a spot to nationals by participating on the ISU senior grand prix or making the junior grand prix finals. So basically there are 8 senior girls competing on the ISU grand prix who are guaranteed spots as well as 3 to 4 juniors who will make the finals. So that leaves about 6 to 7 spots available to everyone else including Kristina. She has no shot at making nationals this year b/c of her low placement here sorry. The coaching board could invite her by replacing someone else (like they did Samarin last year) but there are way more than 7 girls who are better than she is so that's not likely.

Last year for example Agafonova was 3rd alternate due to 2 5th place finishes. Gosviani did a little better and was 1st alternate but due to 2 withdrawals she got to compete. Kristina has no chance at competing at nationals due to her 10th place here.

Thank you for clarifying the system, DobrinFan. I wasn't sure if you only got one shot at qualifying or whether you could enter another, later qualifying event to try again.

But, since qualifying is based on two results rather than just your best result, I see that the game is up for Kristina this year. To be honest, I thought the 10th place overall wouldn't be good enough to have a realistic chance of going through. But, it was a question worth asking, just to make sure.

You see, I also had Polina Agafanova in mind when I asked the question (she had a disappointing 9th in the FS, which dropped her to 7th overall after being 5th in the SP). But I decided to use Kristina as the example as she had plumeted further than Polina.

Plus, I like Kristina, and I wanted to emphasise to those unfamiliar with her that she can do a LOT better!!! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Emphasize on :rock:

I'm so upset with Agafonova though and judging from some pictures so is she :no: Happy for her training mates Gorshkov and Artemieva since they both missed last season for various reasons :clap:

Country
Russia
I understand that in some Russian domestic competitions, there are bonus points awarded if the ladies do a 3-3 combo (I don't know if it applies to the men or if there is a different bonus for the guys).
These competitions are:
Events and Final of Russian Cup,
Nationals Younger and Elder Age.

At Senior and Junior Nationals - no bonuses.

For Ladies bonuses this season are:
3A - +4 points.
3+3 combo with 3Lz, 3F, 3Lo - +2 points (no bonuses for other 3+3 combos).
3F and 3Lz in the same program with no edge call - +1 point.

For Senior Men
4+3 Combo - +3 ponits.
Quad jump if not in 4+3 combo - +2 points.
3A+3 combo - +1 point.

For Junior Men
4+3 Combo - +4 ponits.
Quad jump if not in 4+3 combo - +3 points.
3A+3 combo - +2 points.
3A if not in 3A+3 combo - +1 point.

Elements must be non-URed and performed good to earn bonus.

Country
Russia
Thank you for clarifying the system, DobrinFan. I wasn't sure if you only got one shot at qualifying or whether you could enter another, later qualifying event to try again.
In fact all the skaters, who on results of 1st event have chance to qualify to Senior or Junior Nationals, have 2nd Event.

But, since qualifying is based on two results rather than just your best result, I see that the game is up for Kristina this year.
We have not national-level skater Kristina Zaseeva this seson.
She focuced on school, not figure skating practicing. So results are not so good (like Flatt when she focuced on college education).

Country
Russia
That's funny tho, there should be a 3Axel bonus or something as well.
There was not live stream video and protocols just after the SP and FS.

So we tried to understand what happened on only online table info.
No bonus (no letter "B" in table) means no clean 3+3 Combo.

Slowdive

On the Ice
I know people are going to complain about me talking up my personal favourites, but I don’t care – I’m going to do it anyway!

I have to say, I am VERY disappointed to see that Kristina Zaseeva only managed to get 10th place overall, especially after being 6th in the SP. But, after watching the video of her FS, I can see why she only managed 11th in the FS. There were too many times when there were things touching the ice that shouldn’t have been – namely her hands and her backside!

Early on, there were quite a few times that her hand was dragging along the ice. But, it was the THREE falls that really did it for her.

I know Kristina is better than that. But, I don’t know much about the Russian qualifying system. So, will she be able to get another chance to qualify?

I really hope that she is not knocked out completely because of one bad skate.

But congratulations to one of my favourite skaters (of any nationality!), Adelina, for winning both the SP and FS!!! And to another of my Russian favourites, Nikol, for finishing in the top 4 in both SP and FS.

CaroLiza_fan

I really like Kristina's SP this year (which I believe is the same one from last year).

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
In fact all the skaters, who on results of 1st event have chance to qualify to Senior or Junior Nationals, have 2nd Event.

Yeah, I realise that. What I meant was that with a score like that in the first event, she wasn't going to get through anyway! :disapp:

We have not national-level skater Kristina Zaseeva this seson.
She focuced on school, not figure skating practicing. So results are not so good (like Flatt when she focuced on college education).

Ah! That explains a lot! Well, good on you Kristina for concentrating on your schoolwork! :clap:

Even when it puts them behind their competitors a bit, I like it when a young sportsperson puts their studies first. No sportsperson's competitive career lasts forever - they need a good education to prepare for life after the sport.

Then, when they get good exam results, they can concentrate completely on their sport! :biggrin:

So, good luck with your studies, Kristina! And don't worry, I'll still be here waiting to support you when you come back to skating! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

mielikki

Rinkside
Не grew thinner, and that makes things look better. I don't think Morozov really cared whether number n-teen of his students looked classy or not.
Did you recognize the FS music? I must admit it was hard for me to listen to it.

Bush's FS is to the great music, but... hm, well.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll have to go back and watch. I only remembered Tanguera because Urmanov skated to it. But his presentation/music always leaves much to be desired, I prefer Gorshkov.

Bush's programs :sarcasm: well I have nothing nice to say except they are better than Sokolovskaya's other students programs from last year.

ETA:
Went and tortured my soul but this is what I have......

Okay the second piece is Por una cabeza by Carlos Gardel (it was the tango in Schindler's List) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHunor1B3xU&list=FLu3Ge9wwOv1da8MnANXBHFw&index=47
Third piece is Tanguera. I own a copy by Sexteto Mayor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uJxs5SkSe7s

I love them both (not the way Voronov did it though) but I have no idea what the 1st piece is. I heard it before. Maybe someone else can identify it?

hanca

Record Breaker

But, since qualifying is based on two results rather than just your best result, I see that the game is up for Kristina this year. To be honest, I thought the 10th place overall wouldn't be good enough to have a realistic chance of going through. But, it was a question worth asking, just to make sure.

You see, I also had Polina Agafanova in mind when I asked the question (she had a disappointing 9th in the FS, which dropped her to 7th overall after being 5th in the SP). But I decided to use Kristina as the example as she had plumeted further than Polina.

Plus, I like Kristina, and I wanted to emphasise to those unfamiliar with her that she can do a LOT better!!! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Let's be realistic. She has no chance in hell to qualify now. Russian nationals have only limited amount of places - 18 for ladies. First places will be allocated to those who competed at GP events, which means: Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Radionova, Lipnitskaya, Pogorilaya, Leonova, Korobeynikova, Gosviani. That's 8 places out of 18 already gone. Then places will be allocated to those who manage to qualify for JGPF. At the moment we can't really say how many of them it will be, but considering the current results of JGP, I think it is quite likely that there may be 2-3 Russian girls who qualify to JGPF. So that leaves us with only 7 places left for those who will qualify through their international Russian Cup competitions. They will make list according to the order of points and cut it under the seventh girl. If someone withdraws, they will move the cut one lower. Last year 3 withdrew and Fedoseeva, Li and Gosviani were lucky that they got in as substitutes. But I don't think anyone who placed 10th in one of the event has a chance to make it up in the second event.

This is from last year:
http://www.fskate.ru/info/rusnat/2013/sel_ladies/

Country
Russia
Let's be realistic. She has no chance in hell to qualify now. Russian nationals have only limited amount of places - 18 for ladies. First places will be allocated to those who competed at GP events, which means: Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Radionova, Lipnitskaya, Pogorilaya, Leonova, Korobeynikova, Gosviani. That's 8 places out of 18 already gone. Then places will be allocated to those who manage to qualify for JGPF.
Not all of JGP Finalists.

This season is a limitation - 14 years old or elder at date of beginning of Nationals.
Medvedeva is eligible, Proklova, Sotskova, Sakhanovich, Ogoreltseva - are not.

And at Russian Cup Events (senior) may take place only singles, who are 14 or elder. And in singles nobody can be at both Junior and Senior Events (only Senior or Junior).

So elder-age skaters have a chance.
Agafonova (7 place of Russian Cup I) and Zaseeva (10 place) have not so high chance because of their not so good state.

Past season Agafonova had two 5th places of Events, Zaseeva two 6th places, i.e. better results of Russian Cup Events - in more difficalt situation, because they competed also with very young skaters. For example, 4 of 5 Ladies who were ahead Zaseeva at Russian Cup V, were younger than 14.

hanca

Record Breaker
What do you mean by that, Alex Russ? are you saying that anyone under the age of 14 can't compete at Russian senior nationals, or are you saying that they won't be able to qualify through the JGPF? If you mean that no one under the age of 14 can attend Senior nationals, then Agafonova and Zaseeva have a good chance because there are not that many 'older' skaters there.

We can look at the link I posted above (post 496) and see how many of the girls who qualified ahead of Agafonova and Zaseeva will not be able to take part this year.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Let's be realistic. She has no chance in hell to qualify now.

Erm, wasn't that basically what I said in the post that you were quoting... ;)

Russian nationals have only limited amount of places - 18 for ladies. First places will be allocated to those who competed at GP events, which means: Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Radionova, Lipnitskaya, Pogorilaya, Leonova, Korobeynikova, Gosviani. That's 8 places out of 18 already gone. Then places will be allocated to those who manage to qualify for JGPF. At the moment we can't really say how many of them it will be, but considering the current results of JGP, I think it is quite likely that there may be 2-3 Russian girls who qualify to JGPF. So that leaves us with only 7 places left for those who will qualify through their international Russian Cup competitions. They will make list according to the order of points and cut it under the seventh girl. If someone withdraws, they will move the cut one lower. Last year 3 withdrew and Fedoseeva, Li and Gosviani were lucky that they got in as substitutes. But I don't think anyone who placed 10th in one of the event has a chance to make it up in the second event.

This is from last year:
http://www.fskate.ru/info/rusnat/2013/sel_ladies/

Thank you so much for the link to the rules on how places are allocated.

I know I’ve said this before (many times!) in relation to the GP Series, but I don’t understand why the governing bodies only allow such a small number of competitors to compete in competitions like these.

Like, having only 12 places available in the Pairs competition is ridiculous. Similarly, 15 places in the Dance is also too few. 18 places in the Singles competitions is getting more like it, but is still a bit on the low side when you consider how many singles skaters there are competing in Russia.

Personally, if it was me, I would have 24 places available in ALL categories in National Championships. You know, 6 groups of 4 competitors, with re-surfacing after every 8 competitors. (Incidentally, for the GP Series, I would have 16 places in each category at each event).

Whether there are enough entries to fill all the places is another matter, but at least the places would be there if they were needed.

But, this is getting off topic.

It will be interesting to see who does join the 8 ladies you have listed in this year’s Nationals. As we have both acknowledged, Kristina Zaseeva won’t qualify this year. But I really hope Polina Agafanova pulls it together for her second qualifying event...

CaroLiza_fan

hanca

Record Breaker
Erm, wasn't that basically what I said in the post that you were quoting... ;)

Sorry, CaroLiza_fan, your post seemed to me that you are still hoping (if her second competition was brilliant), whereas I didn't think that realistically there is even the slightest chance. However, if AlexRus is right and under 14 won't be allowed to senior Russian nationals, she may have a chance. It would depend how well she skates in her second event and how badly those who beat her will do in their event. I didn't think there is that many over 14 good skaters, but if all those who beat her are all over 14, I think she has a problem.