The Preakness Stakes | Golden Skate

The Preakness Stakes

Johar

Medalist
The 2nd leg of the Triple Crown is tomorrow at 6:20 Eastern. Orb easily won on a muddy track and rain is in the forecast tomorrow.

Preakness field!

Post position--horse--jockey--trainer-last start-odds
1. Orb, Joel Rosario, Shug McGaughey
2. Goldencents, Kevin Krigger, Doug O'Neil-----was 17th in the Kentucky Derby. 8-1
3. Titletown Five, Julien Leparoux, D. Wayne Lukas-----4th in the Derby Trial April 27. 30-1
4. Departing, Brian Hernandez Jr, Al Stall Jr---Won Illinois Derby in April. 6-1
5. Mylute, Rosie Napravnik, Tom Amoss----------5th Kentucky Derby. 5-1
6. Oxbow, Gary Stevens, D. Wayne Lukas--------6th Kentucky Derby. 15-1
7. Will Take Charge, Mike Smith, D. Wayne Lukas------8th Kentucky Derby. 12-1
8. Governor Charlie, Martin Garcia, Bob Baffert--------Won Sunland Derby. 12-1
9. Itsmyluckyday, John Velazquez, Eddie Plesa Jr-----------15th Kentucky Derby. 10-1

Golly, wouldn't it be great to have another triple crown winner?

It was rain on the track at Belmont that sidelined Smarty Jones some years ago. (I really liked Smarty Jones.) Maybe this time weather won't matter. Fingers crossed!

Johar

Medalist
Last year I'll Have Another was up for the Crown but scratched that morning with an injury.

Orb likes an off track and tomorrow an off track is expected. My trifecta is Orb/Mylute/Departing. Very few horses have won the Preakness without running in the Derby.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Johar, it's always great to see you post.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Will be watching, & if we're not home, will DVR it. Johar, what's doing with Bob Baffert? I hadn't heard his name mentioned during the Kentucky Derby.

Johar

Medalist
He didn't have a horse in the Derby this year. ;) The 3-year-old he had he felt weren't ready to run in the Derby. Yesterday his filly, Fiftyshadesofhay, won the Black-Eyed Susan, a major race in this country.

Thank you Dee!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He didn't have a horse in the Derby this year. ;) The 3-year-old he had he felt weren't ready to run in the Derby. Yesterday his filly, Fiftyshadesofhay, won the Black-Eyed Susan, a major race in this country.

Thanks, Johar. Glad to see him on yesterday's broadcast. :love: the name Fiftyshadesofhay!

What a day for Gary Stevens!

I've loved Gary Stevens since his role as jockey George Woolf in Seabiscuit. When the race began, I was hoping that Orb would win so we could have a chance for a Triple Crown winner, but I'd just finished e-mailing a friend that I would always have a soft spot for Stevens. When the race started and Oxbow was ahead, I thought, well, this can't last. But Oxbow was in the lead throughout the race. I got happier and happier. What a great race! And Stevens had just won an earlier race on another horse that day. Fifty years old, to boot.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've loved Gary Stevens since his role as jockey George Woolf in Seabiscuit. When the race began, I was hoping that Orb would win so we could have a chance for a Triple Crown winner, but I'd just finished e-mailing a friend that I would always have a soft spot for Stevens. When the race started and Oxbow was ahead, I thought, well, this can't last. But Oxbow was in the lead throughout the race. I got happier and happier. What a great race! And Stevens had just won an earlier race on another horse that day. Fifty years old, to boot.

You've basically summed it up for me, Olympia. While it would have been cool to have another chance for a Triple Crown contender, I was very pleased for Gary Stevens. I've always loved the movie Seabiscuit (very touching, uplifting story, lovely soundtrack, too, BTW). How wonderful that he had won a race earlier in the day - a preview of things to come?

Johar

Medalist
A bit sad no chance for a Triple Crown but happy for Gary Stevens. Oxbow is registered as bay but has roaning in his coat, though the roan gene does NOT exist in Thoroughbreds. There's been alot of discussion on his unique color.

Orb just didn't handle the track or being boxed in.

I didn't know that about roan, Johar! Thanks.

Some really fast runners in all species can't cope with being boxed in because they're used to leading the pack. I remember the rather tragic Olympic race of Zola Budd in 1984, who in South Africa was so much better than everyone else that she never had to run in a pack. Remember that in those days, South Africa was a pariah in international sports; Budd had to be finagled into the Games as a British citizen, if I remember correctly. So she had no experience in strategic racing. She couldn't find her way out of the cluster of runners and ended up tripping Mary Decker, who was injured by the fall. Neither Decker nor Budd, two of the best runners of their time, ever got an Olympic medal.