Why can't I seem to do connected outside 3 turns? | Golden Skate

Why can't I seem to do connected outside 3 turns?

Xstatic

Rinkside
By connected I mean doing one after the other consecutively without stopping and dropping my free leg.

After the outside 3 turn, I'm on the inside edge, at this point I try to turn my leg out while bent to perform the next outside 3 turn but I keep dropping my free leg...

I do notice that sometimes on the inside edge the pressure is on the toe where it isn't supposed to be but nonetheless, I shifted the pressure on the heel and still I can't seem to do it right. :(

I have limited turn out (110 degrees) I don't know if this has to do with it...

backspin

On the Ice
Consecutive turns alternate---forward outside to back inside, to forward outside again. You don't change to the outside edge to do the second turn. Consecutive three turns take you in a circle; the way you're trying would change directions.

ETA: if you really for some reason want the second turn to be a BO 3, you'd have to do either a power pull in between to switch edges, or do a rocker instead of a 3 turn for the first turn.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Can you do the three turns without an extended free leg? Because if you can then it's just a matter of practising to get the strength in the gluts and lower back to keep the leg extended and to get the balance required to execute the turns in an arabesque position. Turn out has nothing to do with the ability to maintain the leg in an extended position. You do want to keep the leg behind you over the tracing. Part of the problem could be the free leg drifting to the inside of the circle on the back inside edge.

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
Consecutive turns alternate---forward outside to back inside, to forward outside again. You don't change to the outside edge to do the second turn. Consecutive three turns take you in a circle; the way you're trying would change directions.

ETA: if you really for some reason want the second turn to be a BO 3, you'd have to do either a power pull in between to switch edges, or do a rocker instead of a 3 turn for the first turn.

Backspin, you are talking about the 3 turns that appear in USFS pre-juvenile moves, which do alternate forward and backward outside 3-turns. However, the 3-turns the original poster is referring to are the ones found on USFS preliminary moves. These 3-turns do not include backwards 3s. You do a right forward outside 3 followed by a left forward outside 3, in a repeating pattern, down the width of the arena. It is hard to get that step forward for the next 3 after coming back to the axis backwards on an inside edge. I had a hard time with these turns, as well. For me, I find it is not so much being closed hipped that holds people back (I am closed hipped myself), but rather over-rotating your shoulders that causes the problems. Be sure not to be over twisted during the turn.

backspin

On the Ice
Oh, alternating 3's, got it. The OP talked about not putting the free foot down, which made me think they wanted consecutive 3's. Yes, getting that check & step forward under control takes a lot of work.

Xstatic

Rinkside
Thanks all of you guys for the response, Carriecmu0503 is right, I was talking about alternating 3 turns. Sorry for being unclear in the beginning.

My coach has told me that I was over rotating my shoulders as well and that on the inside edge I was turning too much which is why it was harder for me to do the step for the next 3 turn on my other foot.

This is exactly what happens when I attempt to do it, I can turn my leg out but I can't step and push to do the next 3 turn, it feels like I have no power on my free leg. And sometimes when I force it, my skating leg automatically stops on the toe pick which I'm assuming wouldn't be right.

I'll try to control my shoulders next time I attempt it.

I used to think it was because I had closed hips. This thing seems to be very easy for people with wide hips, when I see my coach do it it's like this:

Right outside 3, spread eagle position with bent legs, left outside 3.