Which skaters do you want to come back for the Olympic season ? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Which skaters do you want to come back for the Olympic season ?

After watching Dorothy Hamill and Kristi Yamaguchi dancing with their partners together on the finals of Dancing with the Stars, I envisioned them at the Olympics again...yes, I know I'm daydreaming. But it sure is fun to contemplate.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Laura Lepistö: Retired far too soon. If her injuries are fully sorted out, she should come back. She is a beautiful skater, and would still be able to finish around the middle of the top 10, just like she did at the 2010 Olympics.

Joannie Rochette: Love her. How could you not love her after putting in THOSE performances in THOSE circumstances at the 2010 Olympics?! Although Joannie won’t get on the podium like she did in 2010, she would still be around the middle of the top 10.

Miki Ando: Won’t be sent to Worlds or Olympics in 2013/14. But, if the current Ladies do all follow through on their threat to retire, Miki WILL be in the team in 2014/15.

Kevin van der Perren: One of my favourite male singles skaters of the past decade. When fully fit, he can beat everybody. But, when he gets injured, he gets badly injured. I only want Kevin back if he is fully fit.

Samuel Contesti: Although he would be one of the oldest skaters competing, Samuel is still good enough to threaten the podium. But, given how many skaters he is coaching, I can’t see him having enough time to practice himself.

Johnny Weir: Showed in the SP at the 2012 Cup of Russia that he still has it. But, he needs a lot of practice to get it fully polished.

Zhang Dan: Much as I like Peng Cheng, I would love to see Zhang Dan and Zhang Hao re-united. It was only a few years ago that China dominated pairs skating; now there are no Chinese pairs near the top. But, I believe that Dan and Hao would still be genuine podium contenders if she came back, even after a year or 2 away. Also, let’s be realistic: although Zhang Hao wants to continue competing now, at some stage in the near future he is going to decide to retire. And, when that time comes, Peng Cheng is going to have to find a new partner anyway. So, in the long run, I think it would be better to get Peng Cheng training with a new partner sooner rather than later.

The Kerrs: Although they were the oldest partnership out there when they retired, the Kerrs were starting to become genuine podium contenders. Unfortunately, injuries brought a premature end to that run. Given that they are doing “Stars On Ice”, I take it Sinead’s injuries are not causing any problems at the moment. If they did come back, it would probably be too much to ask for a podium at Worlds or Olympics, but they would certainly be fighting for a top 6 place.

So, there are my top choices for who I would like to see come back.

CaroLiza_fan

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Johnny Weir: Showed in the SP at the 2012 Cup of Russia that he still has it. But, he needs a lot of practice to get it fully polished.

CaroLiza_fan

I've lost track... Is Johnny attempting another Olympic team or not? I'd think he'd love to skate in Sochi, because of his love for all things Russe.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kevin van der Perren can beat everybody when he's fully fit? Samuel Contesti can still threaten the podium? On what Bizarro world would these competitions being taking place on? :laugh:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Laura Lepistö: Retired far too soon. If her injuries are fully sorted out, she should come back. She is a beautiful skater, and would still be able to finish around the middle of the top 10, just like she did at the 2010 Olympics.

Joannie Rochette: Love her. How could you not love her after putting in THOSE performances in THOSE circumstances at the 2010 Olympics?! Although Joannie won’t get on the podium like she did in 2010, she would still be around the middle of the top 10.

Miki Ando: Won’t be sent to Worlds or Olympics in 2013/14. But, if the current Ladies do all follow through on their threat to retire, Miki WILL be in the team in 2014/15.

Kevin van der Perren: One of my favourite male singles skaters of the past decade. When fully fit, he can beat everybody. But, when he gets injured, he gets badly injured. I only want Kevin back if he is fully fit.

Samuel Contesti: Although he would be one of the oldest skaters competing, Samuel is still good enough to threaten the podium. But, given how many skaters he is coaching, I can’t see him having enough time to practice himself.

Zhang Dan: Much as I like Peng Cheng, I would love to see Zhang Dan and Zhang Hao re-united. It was only a few years ago that China dominated pairs skating; now there are no Chinese pairs near the top. But, I believe that Dan and Hao would still be genuine podium contenders if she came back, even after a year or 2 away. Also, let’s be realistic: although Zhang Hao wants to continue competing now, at some stage in the near future he is going to decide to retire. And, when that time comes, Peng Cheng is going to have to find a new partner anyway. So, in the long run, I think it would be better to get Peng Cheng training with a new partner sooner rather than later.

The Kerrs: Although they were the oldest partnership out there when they retired, the Kerrs were starting to become genuine podium contenders. Unfortunately, injuries brought a premature end to that run. Given that they are doing “Stars On Ice”, I take it Sinead’s injuries are not causing any problems at the moment. If they did come back, it would probably be too much to ask for a podium at Worlds or Olympics, but they would certainly be fighting for a top 6 place.

So, there are my top choices for who I would like to see come back.

CaroLiza_fan

With all due respect the strangest collection of choices imaginable. Even if those were my all time favorite skaters (admitedly most are far from it) I would not want hardly any of those to come back:

Zhang- I like them and defended them against their critics for years, despite their rivalry with Pang & Tong, but their results had been steadily going downhill since 2008 now. Even most significantly she grew to the point they were only able to compete one half season of their final two season, as she was just too big for even a hugely strong man like him to keep lifting without getting hurt.

They would be medal contenders today? Based on what. At the last Worlds they were in they skated perfectly clean in both programs and finished only 5th, and that was with the Olympic Champions of that year not even competing. They have been losing regularly to Kavaguti & Smirnov since after the 2009 Worlds, and K&S are no longer considered serious contenders. Pang & Tong were well above them when they last competed together, and they too are slipping out of being contenders. Their totally clean and difficult LP at the 2010 Worlds scored in the mid 120s, with PCS plunging into the 6s by that point. Atleast 5 teams today can score higher than that while making mistakes.

Ando- Her level of skating from the 2010-2011 season wouldnt be top 3 today, maybe top 5 at best. She already has a 5th place from the Olympics, and 2 appearances at the Olympics, so what is the point? That is before even considering she would be hard pressed given her age and layoff to even reach her 2010/2011 level, and that she has little support from the Japanese fed. at this point who seemingly dont even want her to return.

Joannie Rochette- What would an almost 30 year old Joannie who has barely trained for anything but shows the last 3+ years, and who even in her prime never had a true triple-triple combination, do today? She already has a bronze from the Olympics, so again what is the point. She did retire too soon, she should have competed at and won the 2011 Worlds, and then decided where to go from there. It is too late for her now.

Laura Lepisto- Her bronze medal performances from the 2010 Worlds wouldnt even be top 12 at the recent Worlds. She would need her lightning in a bottle career best performances from the 2010 Olympics to return to the top 10. It was sad she was forced to retire with injury, especialy as she could used the momentum from her World bronze, and possibly improved her jumping had she been able to keep going and remained a contender. However now in her late 20s, being retired for years, and even at her peak being nowhere near a strong enough jumper to be near the top today, and already having a World bronze, European title, and 5th place from the Olympics, what would be the point?

Johnny Weir- LOL! Next.

Samuel Contesti- Samuel was never good enough to threaten the podium, except maybe at Europeans, so I dont even know what you are referring there. In his case he has no great reputation to live up to, or great goals of Olympic and World medals which were never realistic for him anyway, so I guess if he wants to come back for the fun of it and to compete at a 3rd Olympics, that is cool. It is not like he is making much money in shows right now.

The Kerrs- It was too bad they had to miss the 2011 Worlds. They might have won the bronze that year. I think they would be more of a case of a team just skating for the fun of it and the Olympic team would be easy to make so if they want to, why not I guess.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Kevin van der Perren can beat everybody when he's fully fit? Samuel Contesti can still threaten the podium? On what Bizarro world would these competitions being taking place on? :laugh:

Yes that, and the Zhangs still being serious Olympic medal contenders today if they were competing when they hadnt been World medal contenders since 2009 as it was, and they couldnt get through a few months without her new huge body injuring his shoulder? The retired Kerrs back to top 6 now when even at her peak they were rarely ever that high? Johnny Weir showing he still has it with his ability to place top 6 at some B internationals, and skating at a level that might crack the top 12 at Nationals? I think there is some huge overoptimism of this poster with skater(s) she happens to like.

Anyway mine would be:

Delobel & Schoenfelder- The bronze would be wide open for them amongst the current field if they could train properly and come back at the 2008/2009 level of skating before the injury. An Olympic medal is the only missing link in their careers.

Kimmie Meissner- Just because I dont think she got to leave on her own terms, and anyway the 3rd U.S ladies spot is wide open for the time being.

Irina Slutskaya- Just to expose the overhyped young Russians for what they really are, as a 35 year old Slutskaya would probably still win the Russian title in good health. Olympic medal chances would likely be bleak at this point but who cares. We wouldnt have to hear BS nonsense of how great Sotnikova and company ever are ever again after Grandma takes the National title and Olympic spot away from them all probably. Also she deserves to compete at an Olympics on home ice and be revered for what she is one last time, by far the greatest Russian ladies singles skater ever, and to truly say goodbye to a chorus of cheers.

Fumie Suguri- Just since that will mean she atleast temporarily retired so there is hope for her with that blip of sanity, and maybe the first temporary retirement will lead to a permanent one someday before she is 70.

Shen & Zhao- Since I bet even today they could still win the bronze medal, and keep China's podium streak in pairs alive. Pang & Tong arent likely to medal, and nobody else is even close. Winning a 4th Olympic medal, even though it almost certainly wouldnt be gold this time, would hugely add to their already burgeoning legacy, and reputation as one of the top 3 pairs ever.

Sato & Dungen- Doesnt she have U.S citizenship now? I am sure they could make the U.S Olympic team with some decent training. Would be by far the most elegant U.S team today.

Faeilla & Scali- Only since the one thing missing from their careers is the European title and I think they could contend for that (although wouldnt be favorites to win it), and as already noted the bronze medal battle is wide open to alot of teams now it seems. Capellini & Lanotte being so high now would actually help them I think, since if the Italian fed. still promoted them as the #1, the judges would think wow this other team is now 4th best in the World and yet their country still things Massimo is better so.....

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I think there is some huge overoptimism of this poster with skater(s) she happens to like.

Yeah, I like most of the skaters I picked. But, I would not say it's over-optimism.

(By the way, I am a "he", not a "she")

I admit, I am a big fan of Kevin van der Perren. And not just because he married a girl from down the road from me - I liked him for what he did on the ice long before I knew about him and Jenna.

Just to make clear why I chose Kevin and Samuel, my 5 favourite male skaters of the 2000-2010 decade would be:

1. Plushenko
  2. Joubert
  3. Amodio
  4. van der Perren
  5. Contesti

When he appeared at the Cup of Russia, Johnny was no-where near the skater we are used to seeing. But, even though he was a shadow of his former self, you could still see a wee bit of that sparkle that made people love him and hate him in equal measure. As I said, he needs a lot of polishing, but the talent is not completely gone.

Oh, and I should add: I would not class myself as a Johnny fan. I loved what he could do on the ice, but his personality was just too overpowering for me.

The Kerrs- It was too bad they had to miss the 2011 Worlds. They might have won the bronze that year. I think they would be more of a case of a team just skating for the fun of it and the Olympic team would be easy to make so if they want to, why not I guess.

The Kerrs - yes, with the way they were performing in what turned out to be their final season, I do believe they could make top 6. But only just! (I don't think they could make top 5, put it like that!)

Oh, and I should add: I am not the sort of person who blindly supports somebody just because they happen to be from the same part of the world as me. For goodness sake, I may be from Northern Ireland, but most of my favourite skaters are from Eastern Europe!!!

Ando- Her level of skating from the 2010-2011 season wouldnt be top 3 today, maybe top 5 at best. She already has a 5th place from the Olympics, and 2 appearances at the Olympics, so what is the point?

Hey, I never said Ando would be a medal contender! Or that she would be on the team next year. I was just saying that she should make it known that she is available for the following year, because the Japanese team are going to be desperate for Ladies skaters if Akiko, Mao and Kanako do all retire after Sochi! (Although, personally, I believe that Mao and Kanako will reconsider their decision. Or, at least I hope they do!!!)

As for your choices, in an ideal world I would like to see most of them back too! ;) (Especially Irina - the first skater I was a fan of!) BUT, you are going too far back in time for most of them to be realistic for a comeback. Like, if you think Lepistö and Rochette have been out of action for too long, when they only stopped competing in 2010, then how can you suggest:

Delobel & Schoenfelder
Kimmie Meissner
Irina Slutskaya
Sato & Dungen

??? :confused:

Of your choices, Shen & Zhao and Faeilla & Scali are the only ones recent enough to have the possibility of a comeback. And, I too would love to see both of those couples back!!! ;) :biggrin:

As for Fumie, I was going to say her, but I decided not to because I knew the way the conversation in this thread would have gone if I did! ;) (Why, oh why do so many people ridicule her for being so determined to get back to the top?! She won't do it, but she should be applauded for at least trying!)

Hope this clarifies why I chose the skaters that I did.

CaroLiza_fan

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Um, Weir was dead last after the CoR SP. Heck, he even lost to Gachinski, which took a LOT of effort last season. (Sorry, Artur.)

I'll believe Weir's and Lysacek's comebacks when I see it. I doubt they'll eventuate. Neither of them will want to lose to the young guns and that's exactly where they're going.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Um, Weir was dead last after the CoR SP. Heck, he even lost to Gachinski, which took a LOT of effort last season. (Sorry, Artur.)

I'll believe Weir's and Lysacek's comebacks when I see it. I doubt they'll eventuate. Neither of them will want to lose to the young guns and that's exactly where they're going.

Please don't take this personally karne, but I think you're being a bit unfair using that particular quote of mine. A few comments later (in fact, the comment directly before your's), I elaborated about what I meant about Johnny:

When he appeared at the Cup of Russia, Johnny was no-where near the skater we are used to seeing. But, even though he was a shadow of his former self, you could still see a wee bit of that sparkle that made people love him and hate him in equal measure. As I said, he needs a lot of polishing, but the talent is not completely gone.

Oh, and I should add: I would not class myself as a Johnny fan. I loved what he could do on the ice, but his personality was just too overpowering for me.

Yeah, he finished last. But, what what do you expect from somebody who has barely practiced because he has so many other commitments?!

Put it like this: if Kim Yu-Na had not gone near the ice at all during most of her break, even she would be rusty.

OK, so this was a VERY unfair comparison because Yu-Na was at a MUCH higher level than Johnny when she took her break. And, hence, she would not be anywhere near as rusty as Johnny, and would certainly not be anywhere near finishing last. But, it's worth thinking about.

If he forgets all the distractions (especially the TV stuff), and devotes himself to practicing between now and the end of the year, I believe that Johnny can be a contender at US Nationals, and hence challenge for a spot on the American team.

As I said above, the talent is still there. He may be VERY rusty, but if it is polished up, he can get back to near his best.

All he needs is the desire to get back to his best.

CaroLiza_fan

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Yeah, I like most of the skaters I picked. But, I would not say it's over-optimism.

(By the way, I am a "he", not a "she")

I admit, I am a big fan of Kevin van der Perren. And not just because he married a girl from down the road from me - I liked him for what he did on the ice long before I knew about him and Jenna.

Just to make clear why I chose Kevin and Samuel, my 5 favourite male skaters of the 2000-2010 decade would be:

1. Plushenko
  2. Joubert
  3. Amodio
  4. van der Perren
  5. Contesti

The Kerrs - yes, with the way they were performing in what turned out to be their final season, I do believe they could make top 6. But only just! (I don't think they could make top 5, put it like that!)

Oh, and I should add: I am not the sort of person who blindly supports somebody just because they happen to be from the same part of the world as me. For goodness sake, I may be from Northern Ireland, but most of my favourite skaters are from Eastern Europe!!!

Hey, I never said Ando would be a medal contender! Or that she would be on the team next year. I was just saying that she should make it known that she is available for the following year, because the Japanese team are going to be desperate for Ladies skaters if Akiko, Mao and Kanako do all retire after Sochi! (Although, personally, I believe that Mao and Kanako will reconsider their decision. Or, at least I hope they do!!!)

As for your choices, in an ideal world I would like to see most of them back too! ;) (Especially Irina - the first skater I was a fan of!) BUT, you are going too far back in time for most of them to be realistic for a comeback. Like, if you think Lepistö and Rochette have been out of action for too long, when they only stopped competing in 2010, then how can you suggest:

??? :confused:

Of your choices, Shen & Zhao and Faeilla & Scali are the only ones recent enough to have the possibility of a comeback. And, I too would love to see both of those couples back!!! ;) :biggrin:

As for Fumie, I was going to say her, but I decided not to because I knew the way the conversation in this thread would have gone if I did! ;) (Why, oh why do so many people ridicule her for being so determined to get back to the top?! She won't do it, but she should be applauded for at least trying!)

Hope this clarifies why I chose the skaters that I did.

CaroLiza_fan

Well I think Ando and Rochette would only be coming back if they felt they could scale their past heights, and I dont believe that is realistic for either one. I dont believe either would be coming back for any other reason, and that is why I would say neither should, even if I were a fan of theirs (I actually am of or Rochette).

A comeback by Meissner would mostly be for personal closure, to end her career on her terms rather than with a bad injury, kind of the same reason why Sandhu came back.

Delobel & Schoenfelder would have way more chance to be competitive for 3rd place today than the Zhangs ever would. The Zhangs the way their careers were headed before their forced retirement would be lucky to be top 10 today, not to mention they would probably get injured in a couple months as she is too big for pairs skating now. The dance field today has a bunch of weak teams after the top 2. I think even today DelSchoes, especialy in good health and proper training which they didnt have going into Vancouver, would easily be the #1 French team over P&B, and many still consider P&B the #3 team so....Lets just say between DelSchoes and the Zhangs, the formers prospect are many times better than the latters, who probably couldnt even compete together for half a season without getting injured again, never mind being a top team ever again.

My Slutskaya choice was mostly a joke as you can tell if you read what I actually wrote.

My Sato & Dungen choice was mostly a fantasy. I dont even know if she is a U.S citizen yet or would be eligible to compete for the U.S and she and Jason are in a full fledged coaching career to boot so of course that would never happen. However if they did return they could probably easily be the #1 U.S pair given how weak the US pairs are now, which would give them a chance to compete at Worlds and Olympics together which alone would be a big thing for them. I have no delusions they would be medal contenders or anything.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Please don't take this personally karne, but I think you're being a bit unfair using that particular quote of mine. A few comments later (in fact, the comment directly before your's), I elaborated about what I meant about Johnny:

Yeah, he finished last. But, what what do you expect from somebody who has barely practiced because he has so many other commitments?!

I didn't see the post. My internet was being gackslow at the time and loading Goldenskate was almost too much for the poor thing.

But if anything, that clarification makes his comeback look even less likely and a total and utter waste of GP spots on a skater who didn't deserve it.

If he can't commit to skating, then he shouldn't get any help from the USFSA.