Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Which skaters do you want to come back for the Olympic season ?

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post

Buttle is such an artist but I don't think he was appreciated enough - he was overshadowed wrongfully by Lambiel.
    How so? Lambiel was consistently attempting and sometimes landing 2 quads in the long program while Jeff did not have one (and his 3axel was wildly inconsistent). I would say Jeff was one of the very first great benefactors of COP where many of his technically subpar performances won important medals due to the strength of the PCS (in particular, the transitions) alone. I have great respect for Jeff's body of work, but for someone who had easily one of the weakest jumping abilities amongst the medal contenders in the 2000s (and I think he also wasn't one of the most powerful skaters), I'd say Jeff had VERY remarkable placements and an outstanding career overall.

Custom Title
    Buttle was appreciated just the proper amount. He had no quad and was inconsistent on axels so the tech wasn't there. He Used the system very well in 2008 to win world champ and if he kept his axels consistent- a big long shot he could have won everything from 2008 to Vancouver but he knew that the axels was lightening striking. But even he thought he would need quads in in Vancouver. But he got really far and got all the points he could and dealt with some minor backlash over no quads in his 2008 win.

Custom Title
    I love Buttle but agree about his jumping strength. Lambiel didn't really have a triple axel either, but he did have one or two quads, and he had just as much flair and musicality as Buttle. I'm thrilled that both these guys have continued skating as pros, where they can really exploit their talent for conveying music and an emotional narrative. Having them both to watch, at least on YouTube, takes some of the sense of loss out of the fact that Michelle didn't spend any time as a pro. (Not that I begrudge her wonderful second career, but it would have been so grand to see her skate without constraints for at least a year or two.) I consider us lucky to have had two such stylish, artistically mature skaters active at just about the same time in eligible skating.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I love Buttle but agree about his jumping strength. Lambiel didn't really have a triple axel either, but he did have one or two quads, and he had just as much flair and musicality as Buttle.
    I totally agree with your post but must point out that Lambiel has successfully landed quite a few triple axels in major competitions (e.g. 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 Worlds) and did not entirely abandon the jump until the last 1.5 or so seasons of his competitive career due to injuries that pretty much plagued most of his career.

Custom Title
    By the way, is Buttle still eligible? Lambiel isn't, as far as I know.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    How so? Lambiel was consistently attempting and sometimes landing 2 quads in the long program while Jeff did not have one (and his 3axel was wildly inconsistent). I would say Jeff was one of the very first great benefactors of COP where many of his technically subpar performances won important medals due to the strength of the PCS (in particular, the transitions) alone. I have great respect for Jeff's body of work, but for someone who had easily one of the weakest jumping abilities amongst the medal contenders in the 2000s (and I think he also wasn't one of the most powerful skaters), I'd say Jeff had VERY remarkable placements and an outstanding career overall.
    Buttle was never pcd as well as lucky Lambiel is what I am saying. That's all I am saying; I don't doubt the jumps though Lambiel had issues with the axel too my friends. Chillax. It is just an opinion.

Custom Title
    Sasha Cohen, the Kerrs and Torvill & Dean!

I am looking forward to seeing what Rohene Ward can do with HIS comeback.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    I am looking forward to seeing what Rohene Ward can do with HIS comeback.
    I hate saying this (because I do think everyone should be able to express themselves however they want) but I do hope Rohene chooses a more conforming look with his hair because I think judges could mark him down for it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I hate saying this (because I do think everyone should be able to express themselves however they want) but I do hope Rohene chooses a more conforming look with his hair because I think judges could mark him down for it.
    No, he shouldn't. Three reasons:

1) It's his hair and he should do what he wants with it

2) I would love to see the judges/NBC (if it came to that) having heart attacks because INDIVIDUAL ALERT, WE CAN'T HAVE THAT

3) Maybe if he was marked down just for his hair, there might be enough of an issue to spark an attitudinal change.

Custom Title
    Then Kevin Reynolds would have to be marked down too = that guy needs a stylist and bad. Pippylongstocking meets toxic blender is not a good look

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Then Kevin Reynolds would have to be marked down too = that guy needs a stylist and bad. Pippylongstocking meets toxic blender is not a good look
    I hate to criticize anyone on their looks, but perhaps he might consider a good barber to clean up his look. Just a bit.

~high art~
    None!

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I don't think they would. If Rohene could deliver upon the promise he showed on multiple occasions in flashes/in practice, he would be unstoppable.

Custom Title
    I really wish we will get a surprise comeback announcement for the Olympic season. Someone needs to do it!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast