Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Which skaters do you want to come back for the Olympic season ?

Custom Title
    Oh let it NOT be Katarina Witt. She has had her 15 minutes and then some. Great competitior, great personality but she got the most of the situation. Manley should have beaten her in 1988 and her "evil stares" were enough to kill many a Russian chances - Ivanova, Kondrasheva etc.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I hate saying this (because I do think everyone should be able to express themselves however they want) but I do hope Rohene chooses a more conforming look with his hair because I think judges could mark him down for it.
    They haven't really done that with Jason Brown's ponytail... which is an amusing coincidence in that his choreographer is Ward.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    I totally agree with your post but must point out that Lambiel has successfully landed quite a few triple axels in major competitions (e.g. 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 Worlds) and did not entirely abandon the jump until the last 1.5 or so seasons of his competitive career due to injuries that pretty much plagued most of his career.
    I give Lambiel credit, but he was no means a consistent 3A jumper (though it was far more consistent than Buttle's quad). In all of Lambiel's major victories (his 2 World titles, his 2 GPF wins, and his Olympic silver) he never landed a clean 3A in the freeskate. His quads were lovely though and artistically he was one of my favourites to watch.

As much as I would love for him to come back, I think 2010 was enough, and a really good result for him considering the Swiss fed practically goaded him into competing.

Custom Title
    And that 2010 short program was Lambiel at his best. Stunning!

I also had to chuckle that after years of incorrectly associating the William Tell Overture with the Lone Ranger (here in the U.S., at any rate), we finally got to watch someone who totally deserved to skate to the music, because Rossini's opera is about a hero of Switzerland.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Oh let it NOT be Katarina Witt.
    How about Ms Dorothy Hamill to comeback, then?
    SOI tour Japan 2013: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB2WblETBRc

Been 37 years since Miss Figure Skating won her OGM, it's just AMAGING she can still skate like this!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    They haven't really done that with Jason Brown's ponytail... which is an amusing coincidence in that his choreographer is Ward.
    One day there's going to be the most sassy ponytail flick ever in one of Jason's programs. I'm sure of it.

On the flip side: can you imagine Jason and Rohene doing a show number together?

Tripping on the Podium
    It won't happen, but I'd love to see Sasha Cohen, Angela Nikodinov, Emily Hughes, and Todd Eldredge.

^ I agree it won't happen, but I hope they all continue to skate in shows when they can.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I give Lambiel credit, but he was no means a consistent 3A jumper (though it was far more consistent than Buttle's quad). In all of Lambiel's major victories (his 2 World titles, his 2 GPF wins, and his Olympic silver) he never landed a clean 3A in the freeskate. His quads were lovely though and artistically he was one of my favourites to watch.

As much as I would love for him to come back, I think 2010 was enough, and a really good result for him considering the Swiss fed practically goaded him into competing.
    I didn't say he had a consistent 3A. And the freeskate is not the only portion of a skating competition. You must be thinking that he had URed the 3A at the 2006 Worlds FS. Althought it was called UR , I didn't feel it was reasonable and thought he landed it quite beautifully. From time to time I see people mentioning Lambiel when they need an example of skater without a full set of jumps and talk about him as if he never had the 3axel when he has landed it a lot more times than some skaters who claim to have the quad. As one of his biggest fans, I of course need to point out the fact.

Custom Title
    I am looking forward to Lysacek's comeback! I don't care about the results, I just enjoy watching Lysacek skate.

Custom Title
    After watching Dorothy Hamill and Kristi Yamaguchi dancing with their partners together on the finals of Dancing with the Stars, I envisioned them at the Olympics again...yes, I know I'm daydreaming. But it sure is fun to contemplate.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Laura Lepistö: Retired far too soon. If her injuries are fully sorted out, she should come back. She is a beautiful skater, and would still be able to finish around the middle of the top 10, just like she did at the 2010 Olympics.

Joannie Rochette: Love her. How could you not love her after putting in THOSE performances in THOSE circumstances at the 2010 Olympics?! Although Joannie won’t get on the podium like she did in 2010, she would still be around the middle of the top 10.

Miki Ando: Won’t be sent to Worlds or Olympics in 2013/14. But, if the current Ladies do all follow through on their threat to retire, Miki WILL be in the team in 2014/15.

Kevin van der Perren: One of my favourite male singles skaters of the past decade. When fully fit, he can beat everybody. But, when he gets injured, he gets badly injured. I only want Kevin back if he is fully fit.

Samuel Contesti: Although he would be one of the oldest skaters competing, Samuel is still good enough to threaten the podium. But, given how many skaters he is coaching, I can’t see him having enough time to practice himself.

Johnny Weir: Showed in the SP at the 2012 Cup of Russia that he still has it. But, he needs a lot of practice to get it fully polished.

Zhang Dan: Much as I like Peng Cheng, I would love to see Zhang Dan and Zhang Hao re-united. It was only a few years ago that China dominated pairs skating; now there are no Chinese pairs near the top. But, I believe that Dan and Hao would still be genuine podium contenders if she came back, even after a year or 2 away. Also, let’s be realistic: although Zhang Hao wants to continue competing now, at some stage in the near future he is going to decide to retire. And, when that time comes, Peng Cheng is going to have to find a new partner anyway. So, in the long run, I think it would be better to get Peng Cheng training with a new partner sooner rather than later.

The Kerrs: Although they were the oldest partnership out there when they retired, the Kerrs were starting to become genuine podium contenders. Unfortunately, injuries brought a premature end to that run. Given that they are doing “Stars On Ice”, I take it Sinead’s injuries are not causing any problems at the moment. If they did come back, it would probably be too much to ask for a podium at Worlds or Olympics, but they would certainly be fighting for a top 6 place.

So, there are my top choices for who I would like to see come back.

CaroLiza_fan

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post

Johnny Weir: Showed in the SP at the 2012 Cup of Russia that he still has it. But, he needs a lot of practice to get it fully polished.

CaroLiza_fan
    I've lost track... Is Johnny attempting another Olympic team or not? I'd think he'd love to skate in Sochi, because of his love for all things Russe.

Custom Title
    Kevin van der Perren can beat everybody when he's fully fit? Samuel Contesti can still threaten the podium? On what Bizarro world would these competitions being taking place on?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    Laura Lepistö: Retired far too soon. If her injuries are fully sorted out, she should come back. She is a beautiful skater, and would still be able to finish around the middle of the top 10, just like she did at the 2010 Olympics.

Joannie Rochette: Love her. How could you not love her after putting in THOSE performances in THOSE circumstances at the 2010 Olympics?! Although Joannie won’t get on the podium like she did in 2010, she would still be around the middle of the top 10.

Miki Ando: Won’t be sent to Worlds or Olympics in 2013/14. But, if the current Ladies do all follow through on their threat to retire, Miki WILL be in the team in 2014/15.

Kevin van der Perren: One of my favourite male singles skaters of the past decade. When fully fit, he can beat everybody. But, when he gets injured, he gets badly injured. I only want Kevin back if he is fully fit.

Samuel Contesti: Although he would be one of the oldest skaters competing, Samuel is still good enough to threaten the podium. But, given how many skaters he is coaching, I can’t see him having enough time to practice himself.

Zhang Dan: Much as I like Peng Cheng, I would love to see Zhang Dan and Zhang Hao re-united. It was only a few years ago that China dominated pairs skating; now there are no Chinese pairs near the top. But, I believe that Dan and Hao would still be genuine podium contenders if she came back, even after a year or 2 away. Also, let’s be realistic: although Zhang Hao wants to continue competing now, at some stage in the near future he is going to decide to retire. And, when that time comes, Peng Cheng is going to have to find a new partner anyway. So, in the long run, I think it would be better to get Peng Cheng training with a new partner sooner rather than later.

The Kerrs: Although they were the oldest partnership out there when they retired, the Kerrs were starting to become genuine podium contenders. Unfortunately, injuries brought a premature end to that run. Given that they are doing “Stars On Ice”, I take it Sinead’s injuries are not causing any problems at the moment. If they did come back, it would probably be too much to ask for a podium at Worlds or Olympics, but they would certainly be fighting for a top 6 place.

So, there are my top choices for who I would like to see come back.

CaroLiza_fan
    With all due respect the strangest collection of choices imaginable. Even if those were my all time favorite skaters (admitedly most are far from it) I would not want hardly any of those to come back:

Zhang- I like them and defended them against their critics for years, despite their rivalry with Pang & Tong, but their results had been steadily going downhill since 2008 now. Even most significantly she grew to the point they were only able to compete one half season of their final two season, as she was just too big for even a hugely strong man like him to keep lifting without getting hurt.

They would be medal contenders today? Based on what. At the last Worlds they were in they skated perfectly clean in both programs and finished only 5th, and that was with the Olympic Champions of that year not even competing. They have been losing regularly to Kavaguti & Smirnov since after the 2009 Worlds, and K&S are no longer considered serious contenders. Pang & Tong were well above them when they last competed together, and they too are slipping out of being contenders. Their totally clean and difficult LP at the 2010 Worlds scored in the mid 120s, with PCS plunging into the 6s by that point. Atleast 5 teams today can score higher than that while making mistakes.

Ando- Her level of skating from the 2010-2011 season wouldnt be top 3 today, maybe top 5 at best. She already has a 5th place from the Olympics, and 2 appearances at the Olympics, so what is the point? That is before even considering she would be hard pressed given her age and layoff to even reach her 2010/2011 level, and that she has little support from the Japanese fed. at this point who seemingly dont even want her to return.

Joannie Rochette- What would an almost 30 year old Joannie who has barely trained for anything but shows the last 3+ years, and who even in her prime never had a true triple-triple combination, do today? She already has a bronze from the Olympics, so again what is the point. She did retire too soon, she should have competed at and won the 2011 Worlds, and then decided where to go from there. It is too late for her now.

Laura Lepisto- Her bronze medal performances from the 2010 Worlds wouldnt even be top 12 at the recent Worlds. She would need her lightning in a bottle career best performances from the 2010 Olympics to return to the top 10. It was sad she was forced to retire with injury, especialy as she could used the momentum from her World bronze, and possibly improved her jumping had she been able to keep going and remained a contender. However now in her late 20s, being retired for years, and even at her peak being nowhere near a strong enough jumper to be near the top today, and already having a World bronze, European title, and 5th place from the Olympics, what would be the point?

Johnny Weir- LOL! Next.

Samuel Contesti- Samuel was never good enough to threaten the podium, except maybe at Europeans, so I dont even know what you are referring there. In his case he has no great reputation to live up to, or great goals of Olympic and World medals which were never realistic for him anyway, so I guess if he wants to come back for the fun of it and to compete at a 3rd Olympics, that is cool. It is not like he is making much money in shows right now.

The Kerrs- It was too bad they had to miss the 2011 Worlds. They might have won the bronze that year. I think they would be more of a case of a team just skating for the fun of it and the Olympic team would be easy to make so if they want to, why not I guess.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast