Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Pechalat/Bourzat switch to Shpilband (May 20)

Custom Title
    "There is no doubt that Voir are the more naturally gifted" ..."They do have a romantic vibe that D/W don't" What romantic vibe? IMO, V/M look like brother and sister: same build, same looks (fair-skinned brunettes): Nan & Bert, the Bobbsey Twins of ice dance. And "the more naturally gifted"? Really? Please, enough of these condescending comments, descriptions. And as far as which teams will end up on the podium, nothing is a sure thing at this point. Back on topic to P/B: maybe this switch to Shpilband is their "go big or go home" decision/action and it will be interesting to see what changes, if any, he'll make.

Quote Originally Posted by meem View Post
    IMO, V/M look like brother and sister: same build, same looks (fair-skinned brunettes): Nan & Bert, the Bobbsey Twins of ice dance.
    They do!

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1297101023l/1566908.jpg

But Charlie White looks more like Freddy (front left, with Tara Lipinski as Flossie).

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/da...bsey_Twins.jpg
    Last edited by Mathman; 05-23-2013 at 05:18 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    They do!
    snip
    But Charlie White looks more like Freddy (front left, with Tara Lipinski as Flossie).

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/da...bsey_Twins.jpg
    Yes indeed - the second bookcover really nails the resemblances of the Bobbseys to the skaters. Funny, mathman!

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar

More from IN (May 28)

More from IN (May 28)

Pechalat, Bourzat turn to Shpilband for final run
    Gailhaguet suggested move, but skaters 'trust Igor 100 percent'

By Lynn Rutherford, special to icenetwork.com
    (05/28/2013)
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Quotes from Pechalat, Bourzat, Shpilband, and Camerlengo.

Two of the many details in the article:

- "Shpilband hopes to bring many of his teams to the 2013 Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships in August. As of last week, he had not discussed Lake Placid with Péchalat and Bourzat."

- And Bourzat says: "We have about eight months left in our career ..."
    (Had they already announced their plan to retire??)

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I think they have said they are only staying in until the Olympics...after all, Fabian is 32.

I see that they finished their programs in France before coming to Igor.

Thanks, Doris. Totally understandable that Pechalat/Bourzat will feel ready to retire.
    I was not sure whether they had said anything out loud before, as they did in the IN article.

So at the very least, Virtue/Moir and P/B (if not other ice dancers) will be completing their competitive careers in Sochi.
    Will be interesting to see what paths they will choose next. No doubt that each could be very successful outside the world of skating. Best wishes to all four!

It will be fascinating to see who suddenly takes the lead in dance, especially if D&W retire too. Behind D&W, V&M, and P&B, the next 4 or 5 teams have been pretty even.

"It was unexpected, a surprise for us," Camerlengo said. "Of course, when you say, 'the French federation,' that means [federation president] Didier Gailhaguet. He makes the decisions, and he said he wouldn't help Nathalie and Fabian economically unless they decided to switch.
    "It is really disappointing he put them in this situation. They were used to working with us; they were enjoying working with us. [Didier] thought it wasn't working; sometimes, when everybody thinks one way, he likes to think the other way. I don't know any other reason, but the choice was made."
    Again:

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    It will be fascinating to see who suddenly takes the lead in dance, especially if D&W retire too. Behind D&W, V&M, and P&B, the next 4 or 5 teams have been pretty even.
    I think if D&W win in Sochi 100% they are retiring. I would guess if they dont win 50% chance they retire (and if they dont would definitely be in it for the long haul until 2018 even if they stopped dominating, as long as they were still in the top 3 or 4 and felt they even had a slim shot atleast for the 2018 gold). Since I think they are 70% likely to win in Sochi though that would leave only 15% of them staying in probably though by my estimation.

So probably (not sure in case of D&W but probably) we will see all 3 done after next season. Who knows if Weaver & Poje will even continue, probably after next season, but maybe not all the way until 2014. Capellini & Lanotte would be a question mark of continuing or not too. The Russians probably are for sure, as well as most of the other Americans.

Dancers often stay in quite late-Bourzat is 32, for example; I expect C&L to stay in, because with P&B, D&W (probably) and V&M retired, they have a definite shot at Worlds medals. And it isn't as though the younger Italians are particularly nipping at their heels.

Nathalie Péchalat & Fabian Bourzat
    This week end we moved in our new flats in Novi, Michigan, very close to the ice rink ! No more traffic jam in the morning Fresh new start...
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...d=181962471187

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4