Denney and Coughlin ready to challenge for 2014 Sochi gold | Golden Skate

Denney and Coughlin ready to challenge for 2014 Sochi gold

GF2445

Record Breaker
What little offseason there is in figure skating is long finished for 2012 U.S. national pairs champions John Coughlin and Caydee Denney.

"The time off for the injury was our offseason," Coughlin said recently. "We have been working full-time now to be ready for the coming season and getting ready for (the 2014) nationals."

The pair skipped the 2013 U.S. national championships after it was determined Coughlin required surgery to repair a torn hip labrum....

http://gazette.com/2012-u.s.-figure...-2014-sochi-gold-after-injury/article/1501026

Last edited by a moderator:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
But... they didn't talk at all about the Olympic gold in that article! :confused: Was it the journalist that chose that title without knowing how the real situation in Pairs is at the moment? We all know that V/T will win or, if V/T WD because of injury or fall a zillion times, S/S... D/C should be extremely satisfied with a top5 finish, considering the Canadians, P/T and the other Russians!
However, I wish them all the best, because I really like them as a pair and I hope they'll improve their PCS!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
D/C might have a fight on their hands just winning Nationals with S/K if they continue to improve. Right now they don't do the big tricks D/C do but they have other things that they are already better at including better positions in lifts and a togetherness that can't be taught.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
They might even have a problem with Castelli & Shnapir, not to mention the 7th incarnation of Brubaker & partner and Jr. World champions Denney & Frazier.

The trick is which 2 teams of that group will make it to Olympics & Worlds.

If Coughlin wanted a medal, he should probably have stayed with Caitlin Yankowskas.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
As much as I am not their fan I guarantee you Denney & Coughlin will be one of those two teams. The USFSA and judges like them alot, and they arent the type to implode under pressure. the other spot will probably go to S/K, and S/k could even dethrone them as U.S Champs, but S/K could also be challenged for the 2nd spot by Castelli & Shnapir, Brubaker and whoever, and a couple other teams.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Yeah, it's gonna be an interesting 'fight' at the U.S. Nationals in pairs this season. Don't think D/C are getting Olympic gold though lol.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Yeah, it's gonna be an interesting 'fight' at the U.S. Nationals in pairs this season. Don't think D/C are getting Olympic gold though lol.

I too believe that it is not possible for debney and coughlin to make the podium at Sochi but that's what the writer of this article titled their news report.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I think every interview of an athlete who hopes to make an Olympic team is very, very often headlined as "Going for Gold" in articles about their lives or training. It doesn't mean they are reasonably hoping to win gold, just that that's the dream...And the alliteration works well in the headlines.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I hope that Zhang/Bartholomay make a good run at one of Team USA's Sochi spots. :)

I think every interview of an athlete who hopes to make an Olympic team is very, very often headlined as "Going for Gold" in articles about their lives or training. It doesn't mean they are reasonably hoping to win gold, just that that's the dream...And the alliteration works well in the headlines.

Agree that "going for the gold" has a certain often-irresistible ring to it.

But "ready to challenge for 2014 Sochi gold" does not. I don't see any excuse for this headline's imprecision as a reflection of the content of the article. :no:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Castelli & Shnapir lucked out this season with all the injuries and breakup of top US teams. They might be lucky to make it in the top 4 next year at Nationals.

meem

On the Ice
snip

If Coughlin wanted a medal, he should probably have stayed with Caitlin Yankowskas.

Amen! Caitlin's beautiful line, style, skating, etc., almost hid John's heavy "look" on the ice (just couldn't think of a nice way of expressing how I feel about JC's skating). I wish she could find a good partner and get back in competition.

Everyone who makes it to the Olympics is there to challenge for the gold medal. If you are there for any other reason, go home. ;)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Everyone who makes it to the Olympics is there to challenge for the gold medal. If you are there for any other reason, go home. ;)

So a skater from South Africa or Mexico who might only have a double axel and triple salchow is there to win the gold too?

meem

On the Ice
Go big or go home! ;)

Ever since I heard Ashley Wagner use that saying when she talked about taking the big chance of moving to CA to train with "Mr. Nicks", I've loved it. If you're a skater (from anywhere!) and you've won a chance to go to the Olympics, you go, skate your best, & hope you win. It's the Big O, you're there, marching into the stadium for the opening and closing ceremonies, behind your country's flag, wearing your country's Olympic uniforms/outfits...what a thrill.