Max Aaron: "I'm shooting for Olympic gold" (per IN, May 21) | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Max Aaron: "I'm shooting for Olympic gold" (per IN, May 21)

Call it what you like. I've read threads where people were making fun of how a certain skater looks like he has down syndrome.

If you see such a post on Golden Skate please report it to the moderators by clicking on the little triangle.

giulia95

Medalist
1. Canadian coach, 2. Canadian skater, 3. Canadian coach. :laugh:

Way to go, Canada! :rock:

Nothing wrong if a nationalist shows his bias though.

don't worry! it has been reported the canadian coach doesn't believe his japanese student will win the OGM, doesn't he???!!:laugh:

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
his choreography at times has no attempt at interpreting the music meaningfully.

I think Stojko had far more musicality and better sense of line and posture than Aaron.

I don't agree with this part of your post at all. He clearly is attemping to expand his interretation and musicality by working with new choreographers, this is the year to do it.

Also, Elvis was not known at all for line or posture in any way, his musicality can certainly also be questioned. He was a jumper and a good one at that.

BlackPack

Medalist
I don't agree with this part of your post at all. He clearly is attemping to expand his interretation and musicality by working with new choreographers, this is the year to do it.

Also, Elvis was not known at all for line or posture in any way, his musicality can certainly also be questioned. He was a jumper and a good one at that.

While I admire him for attempting to improve, attempting to improve is not the same as actually owning a good sense of style.

I'm not Elvis fan. But his Dragon program was very well-choreographed and well-performed, not visibly out of body line or posture - still better than Aaron's West Side Story.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
While I admire him for attempting to improve, attempting to improve is not the same as actually owning a good sense of style.

I'm not Elvis fan. But his Dragon program was very well-choreographed and well-performed, not visibly out of body line or posture - still better than Aaron's West Side Story.

Why not wait to see the program before judging though? Perhaps, this attempt to improve will lead to him finding his own style.

It's okay to not be a fan of a certain skater, but others are certainly valid in their reasons for their admiration of Max.

For me, I think he's special because regardless of his weaknesses, he does own up to his own skating. He could have given up when he had poor results in 2012. Instead he came back and won Nationals. The thing that struck me was when his coach said something to the effect of "This is exactly what he does in practice." The guy doesn't shy away from competition, he goes for it. That's something to be admired.

BlackPack

Medalist
Why not wait to see the program before judging though? Perhaps, this attempt to improve will lead to him finding his own style.

I'm talking about his current skating. I was responding to another poster who said that at least he is attempting to improve. My response is that it's great he's improving, but that still doesn't make his current style or lack thereof better than, say, someone like Stojko. Attitude-wise Aaron is a winner, while Stojko's attitude was that he didn't need to improve his style... because at least he had one, regardless of anyone's taste.

mskater93

Record Breaker
This is where we can agree to disagree because Aaron has a style right now, you just don't like it. He's raw and unrefined for sure, but that doesn't mean he *doesn't* have a style - that IS his style. Is his style great in figure skating terms? No. Could it use some work? Definitely. Does he realize he needs to have it improved upon? Yup....

I just re-watched Aaron's West Side Story from U.S. Nationals. It was cool (boy). Granted, it was not ornate like Takahashi or whomever. Still...no complaints here.

(A little flub on the first triple Axel, but other than that... :rock: )

dardar1126

On the Ice
I just re-watched Aaron's West Side Story from U.S. Nationals. It was cool (boy). Granted, it was not ornate like Takahashi or whomever. Still...no complaints here.

Yep, "...just play it cool, boy, real cool!" :cool:

I liked Max's West Side Story program, and as you said the only slight flaw at Nationals was that turn-out on the first 3 axel (still got the double toe in). I thought he sold that program really well...had the bad boy swagger needed. He also skated it well at Four Continents and Worlds (popped 2nd quad salchow and had a meet-and-greet with the boards on that 2nd 3 axel...still pretty good...w/o the pop he could have finished 6th...maybe even 5th...he wasn't too far out points-wise).

ForeverFish

Medalist
This is where we can agree to disagree because Aaron has a style right now, you just don't like it. He's raw and unrefined for sure, but that doesn't mean he *doesn't* have a style - that IS his style. Is his style great in figure skating terms? No. Could it use some work? Definitely. Does he realize he needs to have it improved upon? Yup....

mskater93, you and I are two minds with a single thought. Frankly, a five-quad Aaron will be impossible to beat at US Nationals, and it will certainly put him in the running for at least an Olympic bronze.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Bingo!

And I'd rather see a field of individuals than a field of same-same Abbott-wannabes anyday.

I remember one of the things I read after Nationals was that people were only crowing about Max's LP because Scott Hamilton got excited in the commentary. :sarcasm: I remember having two responses to that: one, LOOK AT THE CROWD, and two, if you watch it without commentary, it still gives me the same feelings. I have the version without commentary that I like watching every now and then. It's fantastic. And part of the reason it's fantastic is that HIS excitement is showing through, but he keeps it under control.

(I still imagine that when he pauses and does the little "come at me!" gesture with his hands, it's in the direction of the other skaters. ;) )

BlackPack

Medalist

I don't think his "rawness" is yet a style. He needs to develop one. I don't actually think he has a system of moves and an evoked connection to the music which would mean he has a style.

dardar1126

On the Ice
I remember one of the things I read after Nationals was that people were only crowing about Max's LP because Scott Hamilton got excited in the commentary. :sarcasm: I remember having two responses to that: one, LOOK AT THE CROWD, and two, if you watch it without commentary, it still gives me the same feelings. I have the version without commentary that I like watching every now and then. It's fantastic. And part of the reason it's fantastic is that HIS excitement is showing through, but he keeps it under control.

(I still imagine that when he pauses and does the little "come at me!" gesture with his hands, it's in the direction of the other skaters. ;) )

His performance was exciting, thrilling, unexpected...and the crowd was totally along for the ride! :yes: That spontaneous standing ovation was simply awesome. :clap: Max said he'd always wanted to skate a performance that brought people to their feet, and that night he did just that. It was something he'd dreamed about...and he achieved it.

I think medal or no medal, he'd have been satisfied with that moment and two clean programs. His mom has said they went in hoping for a Top 5 finish, and Max said that after that skate he felt really happy. The national championship was icing on the cake. :party:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
His performance was exciting, thrilling, unexpected...and the crowd was totally along for the ride! :yes: That spontaneous standing ovation was simply awesome. :clap: Max said he'd always wanted to skate a performance that brought people to their feet, and that night he did just that. It was something he'd dreamed about...and he achieved it.

I think medal or no medal, he'd have been satisfied with that moment and two clean programs. His mom has said they went in hoping for a Top 5 finish, and Max said that after that skate he felt really happy. The national championship was icing on the cake. :party:

:agree:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Max brings an excitement to U.S. Men's figure skating that has been lacking for the past few years. His obvious athleticism, his joy, his willingness to work harder...it all is fascinating to follow. I'm looking forward to seeing what he accomplishes in the upcoming Olympic season & hoping that he repeats as our National champion.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
mskater93, you and I are two minds with a single thought. Frankly, a five-quad Aaron will be impossible to beat at US Nationals, and it will certainly put him in the running for at least an Olympic bronze.

US Nationals unbeatable... Olympic bronze, likely, but depends on how others skate. Aaron's PCS is still wayyy behind the other top guys - so much that even extra quads might not be able to compensate for it. You'd have to think (and hope!) that 5 quads would at least guarantee him top 5.

mskater93

Record Breaker
He WAS 7th at Worlds this year with a doubled 4S (although this was a very strange year in terms of TES scores)

SkateFan66

On the Ice
He WAS 7th at Worlds this year with a doubled 4S (although this was a very strange year in terms of TES scores)

One thing I have learned about uber figure skating fans, when they don't like a skater, past results are irrelevant. (i.e.., the skater was over scored, they were lucky, they were held up by the judges, all the other skaters did not perform up to potential, etc) Just look at Lysacek, in four appearances at Worlds, he placed 3rd, 3rd, 5th, & 1st; finished 4th & 1st in the Olympics; and is still the highest ranked US male on the ISU list of best scores. Despite all that, there are many skating fans that proclaim Lysacek lacks basic skating skills, has no artistry, and does not know how to interpret music. If Max focuses on what he does best, stays consistent, and continues to develop performance skills, he will do well in competition. My hope for him, and all skaters, is that he stays healthy.