Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Max Aaron: "I'm shooting for Olympic gold" (per IN, May 21)

Custom Title
    Carmen. How original.

Custom Title
    Trying 5 quads is going to really hurt his PCS score because it is hard to do the necessary transitions into and out of those difficult jumps.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I think he is a real competitor and a podium threat. Likely bronze. Chan is the fave, and Javi and Dai skate with elegance. Kevin is better as a skater. 5 quads wont happen, but Hanyu is the one to fear if you are Chan. Maybe 4th for Max.
    That's not necessarily certain. Max has a more athletic on-ice personality than many other male figure skaters due to his background as a hockey player. Patrick, Javier, Daisuke, and possibly Yuzuru can get higher PCS, so Max will need to make up the point deficit in TES.

IF Max has a good season, places first or second at US Nationals, and lands five quads at the Olympics (fingers crossed), I see no reason why he wouldn't be in the hunt for a bronze or even silver medal. Of the aforementioned men (Pat, Javi, Dai, Yuzu, Kevin), only Javi has been anywhere close to consistent this season. At this point, honestly, I see Javi as the gold medal favorite, with Pat, Dai, and Yuzu fighting for silver, and Kevin and Max fighting for bronze. Pat, Javi, Dai, and Yuzu are pretty close in terms of PCS, so it'll come down to the quality of the technical elements.

Custom Title
    I have Max more in line for 2018.

However anything can happen. Yes chan has a bit of gap in regards to pc over skaters, but as.pointed out now Javier, Dennis ten has a bit of rep. Denis ten delivered skate at eorlds where chan hasnt .
    Chan had to consider daisuke, hanyu, denis ten ,javier breathing doan his neck capable of winning.
    Than add max aaron, kevin,
    Possibld return of evan, evgeny .so
    sorry forgot brezina, brian, florenf.
    So in reality anyone can win depends on how well the skate and how close tbey are piint wise,so can make up difference.

Artistically, this guy is sandwiched between Tim Goebbel and Li Chengjiang.

Custom Title
    I can't wait to see how his five quads go! Not very happy about the Carmen/Lori Nichol combination and I definitely think that's not the way he should have gone for the Olympic season. Plenty of faith in Max, very little in some of the people around him. (But my feelings for Tom Z in particular will never be good.)

I see no reason why he couldn't challenge for a medal. I'd love to see him go for it. IMO transitions don't matter a thing if you can't stay on your feet. And Max is artistic and fun in his own way. The Abbott fans can whinge and complain about his National title all they like, the Chan fans can dismiss him as barely challenging for bronze - but at the end of the day Max is a fantastic skater and loads of fun to watch. He's honest about his shortcomings (which is more than some other skaters can say) and works hard. I'd love to see him spring something unexpected in Sochi.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Agreed on all points.

I like his spirit. And who knows... Nichol may bring something to the table that suits Max artistically. He's never going to skate like a delicate flower... and I wouldn't like that anyway. He's upfront about his weaknesses, and he's doing something to address them.

Still, he's going with his strength. Five good quads would amass a huge technical score, and would certainly make him a threat.

The more I learn about this kid, the more I like.

Custom Title
    5 quads would make him a threat but have we seen him compete any other quad other than a 4S? I'm sure he's capable of it, just wondering.

No. He was seriously injured at nationals in 2011. In 2012, he was working to regain his strength after that very serious injury. In 2013, he put out the most consistent arsenal of 4S since Goebel and was working on the 4T, but it wasn't consistent in a program in practice, so he tabled using it in competition.

He's a better (stronger) skater than Li and Goebel and has better spins (Goebel's sit spin in particular was not IJS-ratifiable) than both.

He's a hard worker by all accounts and if he's focused on making this happen, you can be pretty sure he will do it or "die trying"

Custom Title
    I don´t see Aaron (or Reynolds) as Sochi gold medal contenders as neither of them has stood on the Worlds podium.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    No. He was seriously injured at nationals in 2011. In 2012, he was working to regain his strength after that very serious injury. In 2013, he put out the most consistent arsenal of 4S since Goebel and was working on the 4T, but it wasn't consistent in a program in practice, so he tabled using it in competition.

He's a better (stronger) skater than Li and Goebel and has better spins (Goebel's sit spin in particular was not IJS-ratifiable) than both.

He's a hard worker by all accounts and if he's focused on making this happen, you can be pretty sure he will do it or "die trying"
    Was just about to reply the same thing, ITA on all points
    also for people knocking his artistry, sure he is not as artistic as abbott or takahashi but there are more types of artistry than the balletic, lyrical kind. Aarons tron short program was artistic, It created excitement and he clearly related to the music. I cant believe Im saying this but I preferred it immeasurably to Jeremy abbotts contrived spy program and "angsty" long program.
    I cant wait to see Max skate next season and if he wants to do 5 quads more power to him!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    I don´t see Aaron (or Reynolds) as Sochi gold medal contenders as neither of them has stood on the Worlds podium.
    I think he has a shot at the podium but I agree, gold is a stretch in Sochi. Maybe in 2018?

I'm sure, the Sochi OG will be very exciting! Many quads, risking, excitement ... go guys!!!

*Artistically,* he is nowhere better than Goebbel or Li. Spins are technical content. He might get higher PCS than those guys, but I am talking about having a sense of style and movement. There is much to say about having a sense of choreography, dance, body line and alignment, which he looks to have little aptitude - regardless of whether the style is balletic or modern. He might work as a "modern" stylist, but it doesn't sound as though he's going there with Carmen. He could skate to something edgier. That might work.

I don't understand how other skaters, who say they are aiming for the Olympic Gold, are bashed incessantly, while Aaron is praised. He clearly is overrated in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    I don't understand how other skaters, who say they are aiming for the Olympic Gold, are bashed incessantly, while Aaron is praised. He clearly is overrated in this thread.
    He seems like a nice fellow. He hasn't been around long enough to have acquired an entourage of Internet haterz yet.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast