Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Max Aaron: "I'm shooting for Olympic gold" (per IN, May 21)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    I don't understand how other skaters, who say they are aiming for the Olympic Gold, are bashed incessantly, while Aaron is praised. He clearly is overrated in this thread.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with having goals, and particularly pushing for a gold medal in a competition that comes once every 4 years. I think "going for gold" is just an expression. "Aaron aiming for the podium" doesn't seem to have the same newsworthiness to it. Though I agree that people shouldn't bash skaters for (heavens forbid) trying to win gold or get in a gold-winning mindset. Figure skaters will always be self-aggrandizing. Modesty isn't exactly the norm (unless you're from Japan ).

[QUOTE=BlackPack;742219I don't understand how other skaters, who say they are aiming for the Olympic Gold, are bashed incessantly, while Aaron is praised. He clearly is overrated in this thread.[/QUOTE]
    I wasn't praising him for saying he was aiming for the Olympic Gold, I was more commenting on his 5 quads through 2 programs comment and completely blew off that piece of it as the typical comment you'd see in an interview - what do you want him to say? He'd be happy to be there?

I was also stating that his skating is better than Goebel's from a power (and PCS-rewardable) perspective as by some counts Goebel was the worst *skater* of the last group.

Max Aaron has a sense of style for his skating, it's just a lot more Elvis Sotjko-ish than John Curry. LOL!

Custom Title
    Fingers crossed...Carmen has been over-done imo, but a fresh, new take could work. It's a long opera, so a lot of the music never gets used, so I'm hoping for magic!

I know that Max will give it everything he has; he is an exciting young skater with a lot of energy and drive. I'm going to just take a wait-and-see approach, not pre-judge, and see what Max and Lori create. They might surprise us...in a good way!

Welcome dardar1126. Thanks for joining us!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Welcome dardar1126. Thanks for joining us!
    Thank you very much for the nice welcome!

Miserere Nobis
    *Artistically,* he is nowhere better than Goebbel or Li. Spins are technical content. He might get higher PCS than those guys, but I am talking about having a sense of style and movement. There is much to say about having a sense of choreography, dance, body line and alignment, which he looks to have little aptitude - regardless of whether the style is balletic or modern. He might work as a "modern" stylist, but it doesn't sound as though he's going there with Carmen. He could skate to something edgier. That might work.

I don't understand how other skaters, who say they are aiming for the Olympic Gold, are bashed incessantly, while Aaron is praised. He clearly is overrated in this thread.
    Isn't this verging on Aaron-bashing?

Anyhow, he seems to have a natural charisma about him. I wish him well in the upcoming season.

Custom Title
    Sorry, so what do you call the reaction ever since he won the National title? I've seen WAY more Aaron-bashing than any other American skater. The Abbott fans really, really, really hate that Max beat their man at Nationals and they're leading the charge. Then you've got the "fs snobs" on tumblr who are mortified that the Tron fandom got hold of his SP and circulated it so it has more than 12,000 notes, because "how awful that people LIKE that program!". I swear I've done little more since Nationals than defend Max!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Isn't this verging on Aaron-bashing?

Anyhow, he seems to have a natural charisma about him. I wish him well in the upcoming season.
    Call it what you like. I've read threads where people were making fun of how a certain skater looks like he has down syndrome. I think that qualifies as bashing. On my end, I was commenting on his relationship with movement and his skating in general. I just don't see why he's special. His edges are hockey-esque and weak, the landings of his jumps are shaky, his choreography at times has no attempt at interpreting the music meaningfully.

I think Stojko had far more musicality and better sense of line and posture than Aaron.

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Sorry, so what do you call the reaction ever since he won the National title? I've seen WAY more Aaron-bashing than any other American skater. The Abbott fans really, really, really hate that Max beat their man at Nationals and they're leading the charge. Then you've got the "fs snobs" on tumblr who are mortified that the Tron fandom got hold of his SP and circulated it so it has more than 12,000 notes, because "how awful that people LIKE that program!". I swear I've done little more since Nationals than defend Max!
    I was only commenting in the context of this thread. I haven't read every single reaction about Max Aaron out there.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Goebel's sit spin in particular was not IJS-ratifiable.
    Huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVJqoq7XIRs&t=1m30s

His sit spin was excellent.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post

Well....maybe it's possible that some people choose to criticize Aaron's skating due to more principled reasons than being Abbott fans or "fs snobs on tumblr"?

(this is coming from an Abbott fan who didn't think Abbott skated well enough at Nationals to go to worlds and had no idea that there is apparently a Tron fandom on Tumblr).

Call it what you like. I've read threads where people were making fun of how a certain skater looks like he has down syndrome.
    If you see such a post on Golden Skate please report it to the moderators by clicking on the little triangle.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    I should have said "earlier in his career" because he wasn't at 90

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Hanyu is my pick to win, ... I picture Chan getting silver and Fernandez bronze.
    1. Canadian coach, 2. Canadian skater, 3. Canadian coach.

Way to go, Canada!

Nothing wrong if a nationalist shows his bias though.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    1. Canadian coach, 2. Canadian skater, 3. Canadian coach.

Way to go, Canada!

Nothing wrong if a nationalist shows his bias though.
    don't worry! it has been reported the canadian coach doesn't believe his japanese student will win the OGM, doesn't he???!!

Custom Title
    his choreography at times has no attempt at interpreting the music meaningfully.

I think Stojko had far more musicality and better sense of line and posture than Aaron.
    I don't agree with this part of your post at all. He clearly is attemping to expand his interretation and musicality by working with new choreographers, this is the year to do it.

Also, Elvis was not known at all for line or posture in any way, his musicality can certainly also be questioned. He was a jumper and a good one at that.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast